The Triffids to return

I got the series on DVD a couple of years ago. It is very good in a Quatermass British Sci-Fi way.

The Quatermass movies are superb. I hope they don't get remade.

Speaking of which, saw a trailer for "The Day The Earth Stood Still" last night.

Another classic spoilt?

Speaking of which, saw a trailer for "The Day The Earth Stood Still" last night.

Another classic spoilt?

You can pick up the Quatermass and the pit Hammer remake from Amazon for £2.98. It is a remake from 1950s series but it is a very faithful to the original. You can also get the original Quatermass series for £9.70 from Amazon as well!

Oh yayyyy

I love this book.

I hope they do a good job.

Can't they finish the last series of the Tripods?

Imagine canceling a trilogy at the second part. Bad BBC.

You can pick up the Quatermass and the pit Hammer remake from Amazon for £2.98. It is a remake from 1950s series but it is a very faithful to the original. You can also get the original Quatermass series for £9.70 from Amazon as well!

Even better, you can get the Hammer Horror boxset with 21 films for about £40!

This should be cool, BBC are churning out some good stuff lately!

You must have missed the BBC4 remake (broadcast live as the original plays were) a few years back, with David Tennant, Mark Gatiss, and Jason Flemyng. It was actually pretty well made.

Another classic spoilt?

I'm intigued by the remake. It has potential to work really well. The original is a classic, but the cold war undertones make it very much a thing of yesteryear. Plus, who better to cast as an emotionless alien than the emptionless Keanu Reeves :)

Guess we will find out next week whether it works in a modern retelling.

Can't they finish the last series of the Tripods?

Imagine canceling a trilogy at the second part. Bad BBC.

Yeah, I know. Loved the books as a kid, and the TV series was low-budget but fun. There is still rumours of a big screen adaptation of the first book in the pipeline, with the plan for the trilogy should it do decent business. No news as to director or cast, but Alex "Dark City / I, Robot" Proyas had been working on the script, so he may end up taking the reins.

So, more than one year on from when this thread was started, did anybody actually watch episode 1/2 last night and what did you think?

Episode 2/2 tonight.

I watched it and thought it was ok.

I will be watching tonights episode as well- although on Catch up TV..

So, more than one year on from when this thread was started, did anybody actually watch episode 1/2 last night and what did you think?

Episode 2/2 tonight.

yes i watched it last night ,quite enjoyed it as well and am looking forward to the 2nd episode later !!

I had to laugh tho when the tiffids were "talking" and meant to be scary looking... all they did was sway in the breeze :lol:

with David Tennant, Mark Gatiss, and Jason Flemyng

I daren't think what Nigel Kneale would have made of Jason Flemyng as Quatermass! :o

Yeah, I know. Loved the books as a kid, and the TV series was low-budget

Apparently it was one of the most expensive BBC productions ever up to that date (link).

Difficult special effects were planned as much as two years ahead: it was to take eighteen months even to build the model of the City for series 2. A budget of roughly 1 million pounds per series was allocated, which made it one of the most expensive programmes ever mounted by the BBC.

It certainly looked pretty good on screen IMO although shooting the effects on video did increase the apparent "cheapness" factor, especially with the Master's city, which was not shot or lit as well as it could have been (again IMO).