The Triffids to return

Apparently the BBC are to make a new dramatisation of The Triffids...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7753322.stm

I remember having to sit through the old film at school and was bored stupid by the ridiculousness of it all.... I wonder if the BBC can do a better job this time?

Oh dear, has the world really run out of imagination?

It's so much easier than thinking of something new/original.

It's so much easier than thinking of something new/original.

Oh I dont know, the BBC have just announced a brand new Sci-Fi drama, set for release next summer.

The story centres around a plucky young farm boy who follows a mysterious older man on a quest to defeat an evil galactic empire enemy. Written by Dr Who supremo Russell T Davis, the new drama will cost £3 million and is currently under the working title 'Liam SkyDiver and the Star of Death'.

Ugh, can anyone say "Star Wars rip off"?! :loopy:

Expect expensive lawsuits from George Lucas mr BBC.

Ugh, can anyone say "Star Wars rip off"?! :loopy:

Expect expensive lawsuits from George Lucas mr BBC.

You got Annoi-rolled.

I remember the film and then a small mini series and thought they were both pretty rubbish and so really hope the new attempt works. With any luck the theme music will be returnof the giant hogweed by Genesis which would be fun

I remember watching the 1981 version as a wee litle whipper-snapper (aged 8) and being a bit scared of big plants after seeing it - but it definitely doesn't stand the test of time as it looks a tad poor these days. The book is still a great chilling read, and I welcome an attempt to bring it up to date for a new generation to be scared by. Fingers crossed it will work.

I don't mind these recent re-visitations of old classic shows. Docter Who came back with gusto which, whilst not a patch on the Baker era, is fun family TV (and it is great that my son is into the same shows that I loved as a kid). The Quatermass TV drama a couple of years back was fantastic (filmed and broadcast live too, just like the original drama was). Survivors, after a stumbling first episode, actually picked up on episode 2.

Fingers crossed on Triffids working out okay.

The book is absolutely fantastic, and although I've never seen the tv series I always wanted to.

If this is handled properly it could be excellent... get Charlie Brooker involved and it's a winner.

It's about time. It's nearly thirty years since it was last adapted for TV, and look how much special effects have come on since then. The plants might actually be believable now. :o

Besides.... almost a whole generation has grown up that doesn't understand the joke "Say it with flowers. Send her a triffid."

The book is absolutely fantastic, and although I've never seen the tv series I always wanted to.

If this is handled properly it could be excellent... get Charlie Brooker involved and it's a winner.

I got the series on DVD a couple of years ago. It is very good in a Quatermass British Sci-Fi way. The start is almost scene for scene the same as 28 days later. Something that Danny Boyle and Alex Garland acknowledge.