Pirate Radio in the Sixties

With the forthcoming release of the Film THE BOAT THAT ROCKED - about the Pirate Radio Era in the Sixties.

I was thinking of the stations that I listened to on my little tranny radio back then. Radio 270 moored off the east coast provided a clear signal in Sheffield

and I listened to it at every opportunity.

One of the DJ's Paul Burnett is still doing it on Classic Gold I believe.

Anyone else recall the Pirates.

Chris

Always listened to radio Caroline & was devastated when they were busted & no longer on air. Played the best music during the 60's I remember Paul Burnett & am surprised he is still a DJ he was pretty good back then

I remember taking the transistor radio to bed & my dad always going nuts because the batteries were always running out because I used to fall asleep listening to Caroline.

Yes Janet,

I was still at school at the time - went to bed early but was still often listening to the music after midnight - parents not happy and they threatened to confiscate my radio.

Chris

i can remember caroline and luxembourg what fantatic music music rock and roll not like most crap today rappers please just talking down a mike as for playing any instruments god help them

Used to listen to Caroline when staying at my grandparents in Rhyl then when I moved to the Thames Valley, Radio London.

There was a similar thread on here some time back where I mentioned my true love, it was post Marine Broadcasting Act, and it took on the authorities. This was 1970 and the station was RNI.

Some of the ex-pirates have been resurrected as internet stations. Caroline lives on (it's also on Sky 0199). Luxemburg is on the Internet and so is my favouite, the above-mentioned RNI.