The anything to do with Buses and Drivers Thread

which bus operater do you think is the best?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. which bus operater do you think is the best?

• yorkshire terrier
    • yorkshire traction
    • arriva yorkshire
    • tm travel
    • stagecoach
    • other

If that was your job, would you really need to be praised for it?

I hope you don't miss buses as much as you miss the point.

I never said they should be praised for picking up passengers but if that coupled with traffic conditions causes a bus setting off on time to fall behind schedule should the bus driver be criticised?

I take it that what should happen is that the bus driver should speed past all other stops if running late but ensuring to stop at your stop because it's more important than the others?

Perhaps you ought to question those setting timetables if it seems that the timetables are impossible to keep to?

True...selfish buggers they are stopping to pick up passengers and waiting at red traffic lights and all that when they should be keeping up with the timetable.

Neither is it undeniable, last bus I got on was 5 minutes early but people soon started mumbling when the driver stopped at the next timing point for 5 minutes to keep to the timetable

Maybe it wasn't 5 minutes early. Maybe it was actually late!

A friend of mine is a bus driver and to be fair he does have to deal with the dregs of society for 8 hours a day.

I had the misfortune of having to use a bus when I was snowed in, and to describe the creatures/pond life would have been an insult to the animals who live near ponds.

I remember in the 70s/80s when going by bus was a pleasant experience, not today with the 'swearing appreciation society' or members of the 'campaining to ban baths/showers/soap' who use the service everyday.

This does not include the people who want to use their free bus passes AFTER the expirey time

It is unfortunate that the way First run their company always seems to result in the drivers being blamed.

Maybe some drivers were advised that OAP passes are vaild before 9am this week but there is a huge possibility that not all drivers were told this. The morning drivers start work at the depot. The admin staff are no longer based there so there is every likelyhood that the message did not get through to all drivers. Bus radios don't always work either.

I'd be miserable too if I was constantly under attack because I worked for a crap company.

Maybe it wasn't 5 minutes early. Maybe it was actually late!

No..it was 5 minutes early. That's why I said it was 5 minutes early.

It's hard to believe how people are so passionate about moaning, where is the love...? take a look at this thread, you are all acting like you are being persecuted by bus companies and have suffered incredible pain... look at life from a different angle, gather some understanding and empathy... do you think that a bus driver is late intentionally...? of course not, its all circumstantial, in other words, the bus is late due to circumstances beyond the drivers control... before you reply to my words with hate, look back at this thread and ask yourself, in the grand scheme of the wonderment of life, love & nature, did I really waste my creative energy on negativity...? The human body is a transmitter & receiver of energy, if you give out negative comments and hatred, that is what you will attract, look at things positively and view it as, "Oh problems with the busses, never mind, it could be worse, I could be in hospital dying from cancer or starving to death in a third world country" THIS IS LIFE, LIVE IT, DONT FIGHT IT, BE HAPPY.

Edited by rfs-001

I'm a regular traveller on First buses and I have to say some of the things the drivers have to put up with they all have my deepest sympathy!

That isn't really the issue in this case, is it?

They don't help their reputation when they're so bloody miserable though. What happened to service with a smile? :suspect:

They get crapped on because they're always late - undeniable.

please tell me why a bus is late! is it because we take our time and think i'm going to be late to **** the general public off!! or is iot because the traffic in sheffield at rush hour is chaotic? a bus driver can't win cos when the bus is late it's the drivers fault and when a driver puts his foot dowm to catch time up he's driving like a maniac. generally i love my my job and love the banter(which i only usually get if i'm on time) what i'm really saying is if a bus is running late the is a reason for it and give the driver a break cos like me we usually want to get our 5 minuters at the terminus for a smoke. p.s as for being miserable it's usually a member of public that's ****** us off and put us in a mood!!!!.

do you think that a bus driver is late intentionally...? of course not, its all circumstantial, in other words, the bus is late due to circumstances beyond the drivers control...

I think the timetable itself often is at fault - a three year old could plan a better timetable. The later bus services on the 95 route appears to be a diagram for a single vehicle which gives a scant six minutes to turn round at Walkley. It doesn't take much of a delay for all of it to go Pete Tong, which it often does.

Blame the route planners,its impossible to run a bus to the same timetable in peak periods,as it would run off peak,no wonder buses go missing or arrive late.

Common sense tells you a bus travelling in peak periods,needs more time.....simple really.

your lucky,the 41 route at halfway end gets 60 seconds turn round time,and thats at peak time,and passengers wonder why there late, the planners have no idea.