Any memories of Crookesmoor School?

Hi Susan

Derek y here the gate did lead to the caretakers and his daighter Diane Wright was in the same year as us. I think she has died. The last time I saw her she lived at ason and had a guide dog. Have seen her husband around but not her bmust be about 10 years ago. Brian Naylor I have heard has also died

Hello Susan.

Philip Conway lived on Bannon Street about 4/5 houses on the left above Horam Road.

He and his brother were into ballroom dancing big time. Up to national schoolboy level.

You must have lived very close to the sweet shop opposite the Oxford. Do you recall Mrs Solliti who had the corner shop opposite the baths?

Hello Susan.

Philip Conway lived on Bannon Street about 4/5 houses on the left above Horam Road.

He and his brother were into ballroom dancing big time. Up to national schoolboy level.

You must have lived very close to the sweet shop opposite the Oxford. Do you recall Mrs Solliti who had the corner shop opposite the baths?

Hi, first of all Happy Christmas. I didn't know that about Philip (didn't even know he had a brother) , I just remember he always looked clean! ~ The sweet shop was on the end of the gennel that lead to the yard I lived in. We were in the top house. People used to use our house as a walk through to get from Uppethorpe to the Oxford picture house (our front door was opposite Shipton Street). I do recall the lady who had the sweet shop, but can't say I recall her name ~ she always seemed to be dressed in black (probably just a childhood miss-memory) Do you remember the Kay's? they had the sweet shop above our house on Addy Street; just where it met Spingvale Road. I remember Bownes Fishmongers: There was a shop on the corner of Addy Street and Upperthorpe called Badders (The co-op is there now). Round the corner was Daniel Hill fish & chip shop ~ they were, and to my mind still are, the best chips I ever tasted. I used to go and sit in the little bit of garden just above the laundrette (really it was the washhouse) to eat my chips so that my brothers and sisters wouldn't take them off me (I was the youngest) oh happy days!!

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 18:48 ----------

Hi Susan

Derek y here the gate did lead to the caretakers and his daighter Diane Wright was in the same year as us. I think she has died. The last time I saw her she lived at ason and had a guide dog. Have seen her husband around but not her bmust be about 10 years ago. Brian Naylor I have heard has also died

Hi Derek, thanks for that about the gate ~ its one of those silly little things thing's that sticks in your mind, and every now and again you think "I wish I knew" So Diane was in the same year as us was she? I am terrible at names. Sorry to hear about Brian, its the same story all the time, people all seem to be either poorly or dead! ~ when did the age thing creep up on us eh? :suspect: Anyway, have a very Happy Christmas

If you remember Kays, then you will remember Dons paper shop, Vernons bakers, the snooker hall and the paper shop at the entrance to the courtyard that connected Sprinvale Road with Upperthorpe that came out at the Cooperage.

If you remember Kays, then you will remember Dons paper shop, Vernons bakers, the snooker hall and the paper shop at the entrance to the courtyard that connected Sprinvale Road with Upperthorpe that came out at the Cooperage.

Oh yes, now I remember Vernons and the snooker hall ~ I have a vague bell ringing about Don's.:huh: I remember the cooperage very well, there used to be a terrace of houses running along side it ~ there was a wall there that curved upwards and we used to try to run up it (we must have been mad :loopy:) My aunty lived at the top of Blake street and I went up and past the cooperage regularly. I recall I used to go scromping for apples and pears in the gardens of the big houses that were on route. Halcyon days.....

The big houses at Birkendale were great for apple scromping. Got one or two good hidings after getting caught. It was like another world up there. So close to the slum housing around Crookesmoor/Upperthorpe the houses were huge with massive gardens. Even today vey few people are aware of Birkendale.

The big houses at Birkendale were great for apple scromping. Got one or two good hidings after getting caught. It was like another world up there. So close to the slum housing around Crookesmoor/Upperthorpe the houses were huge with massive gardens. Even today vey few people are aware of Birkendale.

I think some of those houses are still there, as you say, there were two worlds side by side.

This is a funny story (not so funny at the time though) There used to be a concrete building at the bottom of Heavygate Avenue (or Road), where it comes out onto South Road. Me & some friends had been scromping, at Birkendale, and we sat there to share our "spoils". We stuffed all the apples up jumpers & in pockets then walked back to mine, feeling very happy with ourselves that we hadn't been caught this time. I had just closed the front door when there was an almighty banging ~ Mum ran to the door and a policeman was stood there ~ he had followed us all the way down the hill; not one of us had realised that the box was a Police Box :roll: The policeman started to tell Mum what we had done and ALL my friends ran away, leaving just me to get a good scutch around the ear from the bobby ~ all with Mums approval. When the bobby had gone, Mum gave me a good hiding, and sent me to bed without any tea. I never went scromping again.

Hi Sue

Pat Donn is still about I was in contact with her some time ago. I am also in touch or was with ann Kirk Leonard kirks sister she is living somewhere in the midlands.

Hi Sue

Pat Donn is still about I was in contact with her some time ago. I am also in touch or was with ann Kirk Leonard kirks sister she is living somewhere in the midlands.

Happy New Year ~ only 5 hours to go, so why am I on here you are saying!! I just noticed you mentioned "Ann Kirk" ~ is it the same Anne Kirk she lived in the houses that ran along side the cooperage? if so, she was one of my friends (well to be exact she was my best friend, Pat Medley's friend, but we knocked about together) and I was thinking about Anne a few weeks ago ~ I think she was born on the same day as Princess Anne (If my memory serves me right) and when she was about 14 or 15, she went to live in London with an Aunty (Anne Kirk, not Princess Anne, who was obviously already living there with her Mummy :hihi:)

Anyway, I'm off now to meet my sister Gail (who also went to Crookesmoor in 1949 to around 1964) we will be letting the New Year in with a bang.

SO HAVE A SPARKLING, WONDERFUL, HEATHLY & WEALTHY NEW YEAR ~ SPEAK SOON ~ SUE (BY THE WAY, YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED THAT MY USERNAME HAS CHANGED)

Happy New Year ~ only 5 hours to go, so why am I on here you are saying!! I just noticed you mentioned "Ann Kirk" ~ is it the same Anne Kirk she lived in the houses that ran along side the cooperage? if so, she was one of my friends (well to be exact she was my best friend, Pat Medley's friend, but we knocked about together) and I was thinking about Anne a few weeks ago ~ I think she was born on the same day as Princess Anne (If my memory serves me right) and when she was about 14 or 15, she went to live in London with an Aunty (Anne Kirk, not Princess Anne, who was obviously already living there with her Mummy :hihi:)

Anyway, I'm off now to meet my sister Gail (who also went to Crookesmoor in 1949 to around 1964) we will be letting the New Year in with a bang.

SO HAVE A SPARKLING, WONDERFUL, HEATHLY & WEALTHY NEW YEAR ~ SPEAK SOON ~ SUE (BY THE WAY, YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED THAT MY USERNAME HAS CHANGED)

Ann Kirk that lived on Cross Addy Street

That's a good guess she would not go to Crookesmoor she would have gone to upperthorpe

That's a good guess she would not go to Crookesmoor she would have gone to upperthorpe

She did go to Upperthorpe, that's where all my friends went, I was the only one in our three yards that went to Crookesmoor

---------- Post added 01-01-2014 at 18:29 ----------

Ann Kirk that lived on Cross Addy Street

Thanks for that ~ amazing eh, two Ann Kirks within walking distance of each other. I have just found some posts from "your Ann Kirk" another Sheffield website, so she is not the one I knew.:(