Zimbabwe and its people

Just as a foot note I am to travel to Zimbabwe in february next year , The people in Zimbabwe don't all hate Mugarbee some actually love him !!!! some of the people I am going to work with are fans of his, I personally can't see why !!!! but there is a split of those who do and those who don't.

I am white and my friends been living there with no problems for years

To be honest Boyfriday, I found the OP somewhat confused but I didn't think he was bemoaning the death through starvation of white children? More regretting the fact that the economic situation had deteriorated so badly since the white farmers had been forced from their farms.

There's an interesting use of the word 'we' in the OP's pen-penultimate sentence.

I agree, reading it back it is confusing.

The focus though of sandie's post seems to be concern for his friends plight although I can't think of any 'white' children being brutalised directly by the Mugabe administration, so apologies to sandie if I've misread the sentiment of his post.

I am white and my friends been living there with no problems for years

..are your friends white too teeny?

The trouble is sandie, Rhodesia only worked under Ian Smith whilst the white population, controlled 95% of the wealth and political power and 50% of the land, but being only 5% of the population, that was inherently unfair and undemocratic.

Your friend or his family were immigrants to Southern Africa and became rich because of state imposed discrimination, you can imagine the uproar if immigrants to this country wielded financial and political power over the indigenous population...they can barely tolerate the odd mosque on a street corner!

Mugabe was a compromise for Ian Smith who only reluctantly gave up power and consented to free elections. Smith and the Tory government of the time wanted to negotiate a post independence white power 'hang over' and also impose a voting cap on blacks by bringing in education and wealth qualifications before being allowed a vote, so you can see from all this that a new government, largely black amd democratically elected would not be best disposed towards whites who had come to their country, imposed their rule and were reluctant to share power even after international pressure had compelled them to do so.

Robert Mugabe undoubtedly became an evil man and is a stark illustration of how power corrupts and will continue to do so for parties and individuals that have been unaccustomed to its intoxicating nature.

Hi boyfriday it has been a while since we crossed oppinions, my post was aimed at the childeren and familly's but in the mid to late 60's the population of Rhodesia was 85000 White 12000 Black.

My OP had nothing to do with the White people it was to do with the poor Africans who are bieng starved. 90% of all the staple food was produced by White farmers and now because of this Idiot Mugabe he kicked them out, so no food is bieng produced.

So please dont tell me that this is a Country that white people have dominated and ruined it is the predugist of this man and his greed and stupidity.

Ironically it was exploitation of the region's minerals that took Cecil John Rhodes there in the first instance.

What an interesting spin on reality! :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

"Despite bestowing the former Southern Rhodesia with the benefits of our great civilisation"

(Rhodes turns up, looking to get rich off mining, encourages Britain to colonise the place and modestly names the country after himself)

"and honouring them with the gift of democracy"

(The indigenous peoples are made second class citizens and when other African nations are gaining their rightful independence the racist Ian Smith falls out with Britain and declares UDI to keep himself in power).

"as soon as we granted them independence in 1980"

(we helped with negotiations towards independence after nearly a decade and a half of guerrilla war).

Strange the all the region's inhabitants hadn't died off before the colonialists even arrived then, isn't it? :suspect:

Don't waste your time insulting Africans. You clearly have not the first clue about the background to the current Zimbabwe situation. Go read a book, or something.

Now then, the problem the Zimbabweans have is their reactionary attitude: they had every right to be angry at what had gone before, but decided to reject ALL that they had been shown by their former masters. Not just the bad bits, but the good, such as social order, modern farming practises, and of course, democracy. In so doing, they cut of their noses to spite their faces! Very, very sad.

If they had had enough sense, they too could have generated great wealth for themselves, or at least a very reasonable living.

..are your friends white too teeny?

Both black and white hun

Hi boyfriday it has been a while since we crossed oppinions, my post was aimed at the childeren and familly's but in the mid to late 60's the population of Rhodesia was 85000 White 12000 Black.

My OP had nothing to do with the White people it was to do with the poor Africans who are bieng starved. 90% of all the staple food was produced by White farmers and now because of this Idiot Mugabe he kicked them out, so no food is bieng produced.

So please dont tell me that this is a Country that white people have dominated and ruined it is the predugist of this man and his greed and stupidity.

Rhodesia was known as the bread basket of Africa. Now it's known as the basket case.

Read into that what you will.

I think you have your figures wrong. Wikipedia puts the white population as just 1:22 relative to the blacks. Ref

The White Rhodesians I have met I have no sympathy for whatsoever. My ex-partner had relatives that owned land in Rhodesia, but in the 90s their land was occupied and they fled. When I met them they were the most evil people I had ever met. They talked about shooting black trespassers on 'their land' as if they were fox hunting. It doesn't surprise me their land was occupied and they were kicked out, frankly they deserved it.

I can't generalise to all White Rhodesians from this one example but episodes like the use of anthrax against blacks give me little sympathy with the White Regime of Ian Smith.

I think you have your figures wrong. Wikipedia puts the white population as just 1:22 relative to the blacks. Ref

The White Rhodesians I have met I have no sympathy for whatsoever. My ex-partner had relatives that owned land in Rhodesia, but in the 90s their land was occupied and they fled. When I met them they were the most evil people I had ever met. They talked about shooting black trespassers on 'their land' as if they were fox hunting. It doesn't surprise me their land was occupied and they were kicked out, frankly they deserved it.

I can't generalise to all White Rhodesians from this one example but episodes like the use of anthrax against blacks give me little sympathy with the White Regime of Ian Smith.

not all whites are like that there, some are opening their homes to families with no homes , my friend is white and has taken in 12 Black abandoned children into her home, feeds , clothes ,pay for school etc out of her own pocket the goverment doesn't pay you to foster children over there.

Although food is sarce and my friend has to drive to Botswanna when she has petrol to get food she counts it a real joy. Many whites are doing the same but that doesn't make the news.

not all whites are like that there, some are opening their homes to families with no homes , my friend is white and has taken in 12 Black abandoned children into her home, feeds , clothes ,pay for school etc out of her own pocket the goverment doesn't pay you to foster children over there.

Although food is sarce and my friend has to drive to Botswanna when she has petrol to get food she counts it a real joy. Many whites are doing the same but that doesn't make the news.

I am sure there are many good Whites like your friend and it is nice to hear that. From reading the article posted by El Robbo the worst ones would have been the ones that were fleeing in the 90s, leaving behind the good ones.

What is your friends take on the situation? Is Morgan Tsvangirai up to the job? and where do you think Mugabe gets his support from?

Hi Wildcat I got my facts from Encyclopaedia Britannica not Wikipedia.

Do you think that if we still had as you call them "White Rhodesians" in the area that the food supply would be different.

Do you think that now that Men Women and Children are dying of Chlorea due to this Idiot as well as starvation that we now need to act and put aside the past.

Black or White the situation today has to be stopped, we can spend time writing pages of the history and where the blame lies, but dont you think we should act and stop a situation started by a greedy and a stupid man.

He lives in his Palace and goes without nothing while he watched his people DIE in circumstances that should not be allowed to continue.

Mugarbee has gold on his walls and afford clean water which as most are poor they will not and this contry is struggling so much. i wish people could do something to make it 100 times better for them .