Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Bishops court road meersbrook was THE road to test out a new bike when we were kids .I had a Dawes Windrush fifteen gears and could just get up by tacking in the lowest gear -32 front 28 rear.

Hagg Hill (not old Sheffield) gradient 17.1%.

Victoria Street, Stocksbridge (not old Sheffield) gradient 14.85%.

Blake Street, gradient, 12.79%.

Wellfield Road, gradient 12.5%.

Fir Street, gradient 11.26%.

Cobnar Road (top part) gradient 11.25%.

Upperthorpe, gradient 11%.

Winnats Pass Derbyshire (between the two Mam Tor roads) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.91%.

West Hill Rotherham (from Droppingwell Rd to Poucher St) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.4%.

Jenkin Road (From Tyler St/Holywell Rd to the highest part just past Forthill Road) gradient 10%.

Just found that online. I'd have to say the last bend near the top of Hagg Hill takes some beating. Although the hardest climb i have ever done would have to be Winnats pass (i know it's not Sheffield). I've not climbed that many times :hihi:

Ecclesall Road can be a steep at times, I wouldn't shop anywhere else though.

Just found that online. I'd have to say the last bend near the top of Hagg Hill takes some beating. Although the hardest climb i have ever done would have to be Winnats pass (i know it's not Sheffield). I've not climbed that many times :hihi:

I would say from memory that bisops court road is steeper than winnets pass also shorter.

I would say from memory that bisops court road is steeper than winnets pass also shorter.

There is a lane that rises from the Strines res' on the folley side, not sure what it's called buit it is well steep.

just out of interest

Steepest British road

The steepest motorable road in the British Isles is the unclassified Chimney Bank at Rosedale Abbey, N Yorks, which is signposted ``1 in 3''. The county surveyor states that it is ``not quite'' a 33% gradient.

An unclassified road at Ffordd Penllech, Harlech, UK, officially described as not suitable for motor vehicles, is 1 in 2.91 at its steepest point.

Thankyou for your reply, but I already know the gradients in %, I wish to know in degrees. I will be getting a mobility scooter after Xmas and I need the gradients in degrees, not % as the information about the scooter doesn't tell me in both degrees and %, the steepest it will climb. Many thanks!

Thankyou for your reply, but I already know the gradients in %, I wish to know in degrees. I will be getting a mobility scooter after Xmas and I need the gradients in degrees, not % as the information about the scooter doesn't tell me in both degrees and %, the steepest it will climb. Many thanks!

Why aren't gradients in degrees? I never understood that.

And what does the percentage mean?

From a bike point of view I would definatly agree winnats is the toughest and I have been up most listed on here.

The extreme bit goes on for way longer than most which is what makes it such a killer especially with the wind against you.

The only steeper hill I have been up in the uk is wrynose and hardknott in the Lake District.

Why aren't gradients in degrees? I never understood that.

And what does the percentage mean?

It means the percentage height you climb for the distance you go forwards.

A 25% hill means that say if you go forwards 4 meters, you climb up 1 meter (25% of 4m is 1m etc) Also called a 1 in 4

33% means if you go forwards 4 meters, you climb 1.333 meters, (33% of 4m is 1.333m) 1 in 3

50%, go forwards 4 meters, climb 2 meters etc.

Once you know the percentage you can convert to degrees easily just by using simple trig.

I'm thick:loopy:. Please convert percentages into degrees for me, I'd be most grateful x.