The interminable god does/doesn't exist megathread part 3

Being an atheist why would you be offended? It's a book and we all interpret the contents of that book in our own ways, offence doesn't have to be involved.

It probably stems from tradition...most in this country are of Christian faith. Two Hotels I've stayed in recently in London had both the Bible and the Koran and a celeb (which offended me :hihi: ) mag

I'm not entirely sure but when Muslims go on travels they usually take one with them, unlike Christians.

Personally..As a democracy? if we can tolerate others then i'm sure we can tolerate a poster. I'm more offended by having "Sony" " "ID cards" or "X-factor" rammed down our throats every day/evening.

The thing is, no one is really that offended.

When you think about it, the problem is the arbitrary nature of the action of leaving a religious book in a bedside cabinet. Irony is, if you're a Christian or Muslim, you're probably wanting a holiday away from it all . . .you're just wanting to go on the death slides with your kids. BUT NO! You get to the hotel and there it is, in bold . . . "though shall not enjoy flume like rides on plastic apparatus in artificially heated environments."

I mean, why not leave Harry Potter or the Diaries of Adrian Mole aged 13 1/2 . . .they're just as popular. Or maybe you infidels have something against artificially heated environments encapsualted in a plastic dome. :suspect:

Im not on about people Millsands, im on about static advertising. If you compare what else is advertised in train stations, ie book releases, music, culture etc, then compare it to whats advertised in the city centre, theres a stark difference........

But then wouldnt you offend christians who think harry potter is wrong :)

Im not on about people Millsands, im on about static advertising. If you compare what else is advertised in train stations, ie book releases, music, culture etc, then compare it to whats advertised in the city centre, theres a stark difference........

i see what you are saying but i would rather see a poster on a wall than have someone grab me and do thier advertising that way

The thing is, no one is really that offended.

When you think about it, the problem is the arbitrary nature of the action of leaving a religious book in a bedside cabinet. Irony is, if you're a Christian or Muslim, you're probably wanting a holiday away from it all . . .you're just wanting to go on the death slides with your kids. BUT NO! You get to the hotel and there it is, in bold . . .though shall not enjoy flume like rides on plastic apparatus on artificially heated environments.

I mean, why not leave Harry Potter or the Diaries of Adrian Mole aged 13 1/2 . . .they're just as popular. Or maybe you infidels have something against artificially heated environments encapsualted in a plastic dome. :suspect:

Because "Harry Potter" would cost the hotel money. The Bible ain't that much of a bad read anyhoo..and it's free.

The point being...you don't have to read it just because it's there. If someone stipulated that I had to read it to be able to book the room then I would have a problem. On the other foot they are quite handy when you have one leg shorter than the other three on the room dining table.:P

Religion is not a product, it's a moral system and a way of life.

Maybe your right, but i expect some christians feel posters are not enough and are not circulated enough as there numbers are falling.........and they do keep going on about the voice of god :)

In this day and age everything is a product in someway. And the bible is having trouble selling the idea at present.........

Because "Harry Potter" would cost the hotel money.

Well, it'd cost money for whoever did it. Sticking the Bible in there also costs money for whoever does it (the Gideon Society).

If someone wants to form an organisation dedicated to putting copies of Harry Potter in hotel rooms, and spending millions on doing so ... go ahead. There's no law to stop you. Nor is there any law to stop the Gideon Society doing the same with their book of choice.

bibles have always been left in hotel rooms for as long as i can remeber i think they are left by the gideons. I dont see the problem with it and with posters about religion.

Bibles are indeed left in hotel bedrooms by the Gideon Society. The Beatles even sang about this in their song Rocky Raccoon....

"...Now Rocky Raccoon he fell back in his room

Only to find Gideon's bible

A Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt

To help with good Rocky's revival."

I'm an atheist, and bibles in hotel bedrooms and religious posters at railway stations don't bother me.

Bothers me. Shows how the christians are ahead on propoganda. What about 'thought for the day' on Wogan's sexist radio 2. Get an atheist on there or at least a humanist, preferably a satanist but I ain't holding my breath.

Hotel bibles ensure there's something to read. Now Christians, on the whole, don't "worship" the bible. so if someone tears the pages out and flushes them down the loo, no-one will burn the hotel down.

If they provided the Koran, then guests would be expected to treat it with respect, and wilfully abusing it would, I believe, unleash great rage.

I love the Gideon Bible. I read it while my wife watches cricket on the telly in our room. The adventures of David, running a protection racket while exiled from Saul's court, the genetic modification practiced by Jacob, and all the other wonderful guys and girls of the Old and New Testaments.

And if I have a sllepless night, I turn to the Book of Chronicles : "Fred begat Jim, and Jim begat willy of Susie the daughter of Linux....." and after reading a few chapters of that, I can't keep my eyes open.