If you spot it, you got it!

ello ello :)

me and some friends were discussing a concept recently of character trait recognition in others.

apparently, we strongly react to qualities in others, that we ourselves possess...

ie 'if you spot it, you got it'.

its not the first time i've come across this theory.

indeed i've noticed it a lot in recent debates on the forum, in myself and in others.....

anyone else?

sol

:)

There is a theory that says that you things that you like and dislike others are the same things that you like and dislike with yourself.

It is a technique that is used in job interviews, when they ask you to identify people you admire and people you dislike; and then they get you to discus why you admire and dislike these people. In doing this the theory suggests that you are far more likely to reveal your go and bad points rather than just tell the interviewer what they want to hear.

There is a theory that says that you things that you like and dislike others are the same things that you like and dislike with yourself.

It is a technique that is used in job interviews, when they ask you to identify people you admire and people you dislike; and then they get you to discus why you admire and dislike these people. In doing this the theory suggests that you are far more likely to reveal your go and bad points rather than just tell the interviewer what they want to hear.

makes sense :)

bit sneaky though....

This is the underlying mechanism of scapegoating, whereby a person or group of people attribute negative traits on something Other, rather than acknowledge the existence of those traits within their own character/culture. This is why, when you strip away the superficial differences, opposing enemies often resemble each other.

The remedy for this tendency is to cultivate the ability to honestly look at your own faults. Everyone has blind spots, and it's those blind spots that end up directed outward. Everyone does it to a degree, but it's highly variable, and depends on the ability a person has to examine themselves honestly. In this country it is not considered a valued skill, more's the pity. The more you understand the dynamics of scapegoating, the more such impulses are defused, generally speaking.

To say that any comment about another person is self-description, though, is simplistic and unhelpful.

This is the underlying mechanism of scapegoating, whereby a person or group of people attribute negative traits on something Other, rather than acknowledge the existence of those traits within their own character/culture. This is why, when you strip away the superficial differences, opposing enemies often resemble each other.

The remedy for this tendency is to cultivate the ability to honestly look at your own faults. Everyone has blind spots, and it's those blind spots that end up directed outward. Everyone does it to a degree, but it's highly variable, and depends on the ability a person has to examine themselves honestly. In this country it is not considered a valued skill, more's the pity. The more you understand the dynamics of scapegoating, the more such impulses are defused, generally speaking.

To say that any comment about another person is self-description, though, is simplistic and unhelpful.

I remember you once said to another forummer, on a different subject (a long time ago) that 'the world only looks the way it does because it's been filtered through the prism of your own self-image.'

I don't know why but it stuck in my head. I find if someone does or says something that makes me angry, it's usually because they have hurt my feelings, but if I feel dislike for someone without rational explanation, it's because I'm afraid that I am like them.

I remember you once said to another forummer, on a different subject (a long time ago) that 'the world only looks the way it does because it's been filtered through the prism of your own self-image.'

I don't know why but it stuck in my head. I find if someone does or says something that makes me angry, it's usually because they have hurt my feelings, but if I feel dislike for someone without rational explanation, it's because I'm afraid that I am like them.

Probably because the phrase is both sheer poetry and is the absolute truth :)

StarSparkle

There's something very familiar about the last page in this thread. :suspect:

but the fact that you have recognised my cleverness, means that you have the capability of cleverness

My history of decision-making would indicate otherwise.

Good thread topic though anyway, I have to say.

My history of decision-making would indicate otherwise

i bet its in there somewhere...have a look :hihi:

Good thread topic though anyway, I have to say.

why thank you kind sir :)

i bet its in there somewhere...have a look :hihi:

why thank you kind sir :)

Thanks, but I'm a "miss"fit. :)

Thanks, but I'm a "miss"fit. :)

ok miss met :)