Owls Past History

Can anyone remember the name of the Owls player (in the 1980's I think) who was injured in a coach crash and I think had to have his foot amputated as a result? The name Ian seems to ring a bell!

regards Capricorn11

Are you thinking of Dougie McMillan 1960, who had to have a leg amputated after the coach crashed returning from Highbury on Boxing Day?

Thanks Chairboy, he's the one! I was only 20 years out ( doesn't time fly)

Wednesday signed Duggie, a Scot, from amateur football and it was a dreadful tragedy, having to have his right leg amputated. The coach ran into a ditch near Huntingdon on the A1. I went to the game with the Owls forcing a 1-1 draw with a late equaliser from Keith Ellis. McMillan didn't play in the game.

The excursion train went to Finsbury Park, which is local to Highbury, and returned straight after the game with it being Boxing Day. News broke the following day and Peter Swan sustained a broken shoulder in the accident.

A promising career ended before it had really started with Duggie having just broken into the first team squad at the age of 19.

the other player you seem to be thinking about was ian knight,who suffered a career ending injury when a chester player broke his leg.

the other player you seem to be thinking about was ian knight,who suffered a career ending injury when a chester player broke his leg.

i was there that day and it still sickens me when i think of that injury

yeah was there with my dad i was only a kid bout 9 or 10 and can vaugly remember it.

4th Feb 1987 during 3-1 Cup replay win against Chester. Seem to recall the Chester player being called Bennett - what a reckless challenge and I think Knight won compensation through litigation. He went to Grimsby at one time as Football in the Community officer.

Ian was born in Hartlepool, joined the Owls from Barnsley in 1985 and made 19League and 4 Cup appearances for Wednesday who had drawn the first game at Chester.

4th Feb 1987 during 3-1 Cup replay win against Chester. Seem to recall the Chestre player being called Bennett - what a reckless challenge and I think Knight won compensation through litigation. He went to Grimsby at one time as Football in the Community officer.

Ian was born in Hartlepool, joined the Owls from Barnsley in 1985 and made 19League and 4 Cup appearances for Wednesday who had drawn the first game at Chester.

wonder what he is up to now?