Parents staying at children's parties

You are correct in saying that the children in school are usually only supervised by 1 teacher (and 1 teachers assistant as in the case at my kids school) but these kids are mainly confined to their own classroom.

And (I assume) the teacher will have had some training in dealing with groups of kids?

Good chance the teacher will have more experience of dealing with large groups of kids.

Did you prevent any accidents, attempted abductions, abuse etc?

With a parent (or two) per child, there would be no need as one of the parents would have dealt with any incidents as it happened (and possibly prevented incidents/accidents).

I remember going to help at a party my sister (also a teacher) was doing for her son who was turning 5 (and probably the last in his year to do so). It was at her house and there were a lot of parents there and I can remember the children seemed a bit inhibited by them all and the parents were like spare parts. I do think if the party is somewhere which is not also open to the public then it is not advantageous for the parents to stay.

On the other hand at the really busy play centres it is not possible to keep track of all the children there, especially when there are about 20 kids per party running about. If it is a privately hired venue then that's different.

Did you prevent any accidents, attempted abductions, abuse etc?

I think you are slightly over reacting, I have never once said I stayed to prevent such things:loopy: Just to be there to keep an eye on her, lots of kids can get bumped and tripped at these places, nothing as serious as you are suggesting.

I think we both have to agree to disagree on this matter, while my child is young I will always continue to stay with her at public events, like party's etc, I for one could not take the risk of something happening and I wasn't there to help her, when it is a private function that is a different matter.

I very much doubt I will ever be able to drop my kid off at a party and hang around in pub for the duration, but hey thats just me.:D

After all 22 sets of parents can't all be wrong:thumbsup:

i was one of those 22 parents.

i always stay when little locket is at a party play centre or private, she doesnt bother with me but gets on with the party. the only time i see her is when its time to go home. i enjoy the chance to mix & chat with the other parents

most of the classes at school now how classroom assistants so the teacher is very rarely on their own with 25+ children.

i was one of those 22 parents.

i always stay when little locket is at a party play centre or private, she doesnt bother with me but gets on with the party. the only time i see her is when its time to go home. i enjoy the chance to mix & chat with the other parents

most of the classes at school now how classroom assistants so the teacher is very rarely on their own with 25+ children.

If you go to chat and mix with other parents that is fine but I feel that a lot of parents interfere with the party itself and that spoils it for the kids, particularly when they have their food. A five year old should be quite capable of feeding themself and not need to sit on mummy or daddy's lap as I've seem at some of these does. I went to one a few weeks ago and there were so many parents there we could hardly move and there was nowhere to even sit down, (and there was a pub next door)

Im about to host my first proper party for my little-un next weekend. Ive gone for a party at home with a handful of kids. We live in a busy area so Im hoping parents will drop them off and then go and entertain themselves for couple of hours in the local shops and coffee places. Im just hoping nobody wants to stay is there isnt enough room! They are 6 tho so its not like they're 3 or anything...

If the kids are at school all week maybe those parents that are mollycoddling their children as you put it, just actually want to spend a bit of quality time with them rather than bobbing off to the pub! Just a thought....

If the kids are at school all week maybe those parents that are mollycoddling their children as you put it, just actually want to spend a bit of quality time with them rather than bobbing off to the pub! Just a thought....

You're missing the point and making it sound like we go to pub as an alternative to parenting, we just leave the party, where we go isn't really relevant to this discussion and in fact it is usually back home depending how far away the party is.

I think you are slightly over reacting, I have never once said I stayed to prevent such things:loopy: Just to be there to keep an eye on her, lots of kids can get bumped and tripped at these places, nothing as serious as you are suggesting.

I think we both have to agree to disagree on this matter, while my child is young I will always continue to stay with her at public events, like party's etc, I for one could not take the risk of something happening and I wasn't there to help her, when it is a private function that is a different matter.

I very much doubt I will ever be able to drop my kid off at a party and hang around in pub for the duration, but hey thats just me.:D

After all 22 sets of parents can't all be wrong:thumbsup:

I'm over-reacting? There are plenty of people here who seem to agree with me.

You're missing the point and making it sound like we go to pub as an alternative to parenting, we just leave the party, where we go isn't really relevant to this discussion and in fact it is usually back home depending how far away the party is.

No, I got the point loud and clear! Just because I don't agree with it, doesn't mean that I am thick and have missed the point.

Children have got the rest of their lives to be independent and stand on their own two feet so I just want to ensure I do the best I can without taking any (in MY opinion) unnecessary risks. There is plenty of opportunity for them to make their own way in life naturally. You have your opinion, they are your children - you do what you see fit for you - I respect that. I have mine opinion, and I wouldn't dream of doing what you do. Please respect that too.

And as someone else stated - you're not actually supposed to leave the kids unsupervised.

I'm over-reacting? There are plenty of people here who seem to agree with me.

And there are plenty that don't!