UG is closing, now what?

We don't aim to be UG 2... But that doesn't mean we can't use some of the quality DJ's they have played there in the past. I am trying to blend a nice mix of local talent with some people further afield. The main aim is to have a very high level of quality, I don't really care where they come from. The only reason the UG residents are being considered is that I really enjoyed clubbing to their music. We will only ever book one resident from UG's old roster at any one time, otherwise we might as well call it a UG revival and that would be a bit silly!!

In terms of supporting new nights, every city has the same issues with getting new nights off the ground... how to get the punters in. It's a case of getting a reputation of excellence early on. Hopefully we can do that but who knows... I don't have a crystal ball!!

What I will say is watch this space, I will announce the lineups soon and then you can play your part in supporting a new night in sheff :)

We don't aim to be UG 2... But that doesn't mean we can't use some of the quality DJ's they have played there in the past. I am trying to blend a nice mix of local talent with some people further afield. The main aim is to have a very high level of quality, I don't really care where they come from. The only reason the UG residents are being considered is that I really enjoyed clubbing to their music. We will only ever book one resident from UG's old roster at any one time, otherwise we might as well call it a UG revival and that would be a bit silly!!

In terms of supporting new nights, every city has the same issues with getting new nights off the ground... how to get the punters in. It's a case of getting a reputation of excellence early on. Hopefully we can do that but who knows... I don't have a crystal ball!!

What I will say is watch this space, I will announce the lineups soon and then you can play your part in supporting a new night in sheff :)

Book some decent guests, people who haven't necessarily played Sheffield before and I'll be there :)

I don't really think most people care about the guests that are booked. The majority of people that go out in Sheffield don't know one "name" DJ from the next and wouldn't know a good DJ from a bad one. The nights that are doing well are the ones that are creating the most hype. It's seems like its all about style over substance at the moment.

I don't really think most people care about the guests that are booked. The majority of people that go out in Sheffield don't know one "name" DJ from the next and wouldn't know a good DJ from a bad one. The nights that are doing well are the ones that are creating the most hype. It's seems like its all about style over substance at the moment.

You're still with us then ;)

There speaks someone with lots of experience......

Very diplomatic! And without naming names either, a true pro! :D

I agree though, it seems to me if you want to do well with promotions you have to be good at telling everyone how brilliant a DJ you are/have booked, without any hint of irony or embarrassment, and have hundreds of friends on Facebook. Some of the stuff I've read recently about DJs...... :rolleyes: What happened to keeping it real?

Very diplomatic! And without naming names either, a true pro! :D

I agree though, it seems to me if you want to do well with promotions you have to be good at telling everyone how brilliant a DJ you are/have booked, without any hint of irony or embarrassment, and have hundreds of friends on Facebook. Some of the stuff I've read recently about DJs...... :rolleyes: What happened to keeping it real?

So speaks one of the Sheffield legends ;-)

I know exactly what you mean. Some of the biogs on Facebook and SF are absolute works of fiction from people who have played out in the last 20 years less times than the Fritzl sisters.

So speaks one of the Sheffield legends ;-)

I know exactly what you mean. Some of the biogs on Facebook and SF are absolute works of fiction from people who have played out in the last 20 years less times than the Fritzl sisters.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'm not convinced Facebook works that well for promoting. Sure, you get the die-hards who are into what you're putting on, those who will search you out so to speak, but the vast majority of people just click 'accept' without really paying attention to what they are being invited to.

It's all about education people!! I used to be an avid follower of Feel in Preston, some amazing DJ's all very high class house. That place educated an entire town in what quality dance music should be. No hype no fanfares, people just showed up cos they knew there was going to be some world class music!!

Would be nice to do the same, they had a bit less competition than in Sheffield tho!!

Would be nice to do the same, they had a bit less competition than in Sheffield tho!!

What competition? There's about 3 clubs worth setting foot in and not all of them have anything decent on very often!

It's all about education people!! I used to be an avid follower of Feel in Preston, some amazing DJ's all very high class house. That place educated an entire town in what quality dance music should be. No hype no fanfares, people just showed up cos they knew there was going to be some world class music!!

To be fair Sheffield has a rich electronic music heritage. There have been some major club nights which created a real scene in Sheffield. The problem is that proper house music isn't very 'cool' at the moment in Sheffield. It's been swamped by the electro/indie scene. There have been quite a few nights over the past couple of years who have put on some very good line-ups but people just aren't interested. I saw Ivan Smagghe play to about 70 people in Plug, Cargo booked Will Saul and got shutdown an hour into his set. Even the great Back to Basics struggled at Redroom.

There is no competition for a proper house night in Sheffield. But you'd have to have to be willing to lose some serious cash to establish one. I'm not being negative just realistic (I ran a monthly night for 6 months and just about broke even).

The other way is to get a promoter involved who has loads of mates. That seems to work in Sheffield.