UG is closing, now what?

I have had an email through from Urban Gorilla saying they are closing down after New Years Eve. I don't know whether Mark and his crew have something else up thier sleeve or if this is it.

What I really want to know is where are you going to go now? Are you going to seek out smaller events around sheffield that offer similar music or are you going to the Academy/Plug for whatever they have on? I'd like to hear your thoughts....

Basics is coming in't it but either way, hopefully it means more chance for the smaller independents - every cloud and all that. It's a dark time for Sheff clubbing when UG hangs up it's headphones but hopefully things will keep moving and evolving.

Think of it like when Henry left the Gunners, lets the lesser knows take the spotlight in absence of the talisman. :D

heard this shocking news too....what's the story?

*SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT*

You could try SulpHate:

Surely a little bit out of order plugging that when it's actually on the same night as the last UG at Plug?

heard this shocking news too....what's the story?

It wasn't an easy decision I can tell you. UG has been central to my whole life for the last 7 years - it was my work, my social life and everything in between. I even met my other half there over 5 years ago (back in the Charles Street days). However all good things must come to an end and this seemed like a good time to go for a number of reasons. I have been overwhelmed by the huge amount of kind messages I have received from clubbers and DJs who have played. It gives an enormous sense of satisfaction to know that we have influenced so many people's lives in such a positive way! Thanks to everyone that has helped make it so special.

Please go to our message board and share your memories from the last 7 years here.

Don't miss the last UG at The Plug and our penultimate event featuring Paul Daley (Leftfield) and Juan MacLean (DFA). Join the facebook event here .

The last ever UG will be on NYE Upstairs at DQ. Watch this space for more info.

Mark @ UG

Absolutly gutted! An amazing night which will be sadly missed.

So in the name of good memories, which night/set stands out as everyones favorite?

I think my favorite set was Meat Katie after Timo Maas last year, or maybe Ralph Lawson at Uniq. Or then again there are the many Elite Force sets which have always been consistently brilliant. And Green Velvet was amazing as well thinking back. And Switch at the Fez....

Oh the memories :)

soooo gutted :(

It will be missed greatly, i have had some amazing nights over the years at UG and i have made many friends there. Its been sheffields most consistant night and the line-ups have always pushed the barriers.

Roll on NYE.

Gutted :(

It's been the best night in Sheffield for years. I've been to it at god knows how many venues and it's been nothing short of great at every one.

Would be rude not to go to the NYE party really wouldn't it :)

RahRahRah presents HOUSE PARTY....FR 5TH DECEMBER

Come dance, drink and make DQ messy - all without the next day tidy up session!

Bring wax n CDs for our lazy DJs to spin at your request....

Upstairs @ DQ, Fri 5th December, 10pm - 3am, £3 before 11:30 with flyer, otherwise £4

Residents Big Issue, Lola and The Sundance Kid plus friends with indie, rnb, rock, pop, hiphop, drum n bass, mash ups n blends

RahRahRah presents HOUSE PARTY....FR 5TH DECEMBER

Come dance, drink and make DQ messy - all without the next day tidy up session!

Bring wax n CDs for our lazy DJs to spin at your request....

Upstairs @ DQ, Fri 5th December, 10pm - 3am, £3 before 11:30 with flyer, otherwise £4

Residents Big Issue, Lola and The Sundance Kid plus friends with indie, rnb, rock, pop, hiphop, drum n bass, mash ups n blends

Hardly an alternative to UG :loopy:

this rahrahrah person doesnt have any notion of board etiquette - they post in anyone's thread that they can advertising their own night - start yer own!