Any Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele players here

If so, which one do you play & are they easy to learn/play ??

I like the sound of all three, was wondering which one to pursue....

I play the Ukulele, i've not been playing very long but i have been playing guitar for forever. It's alot simpler than the guitar, but it's certainly not easy. Really small so you need to have dextrous fingers.

If you already play a bit of guitar, it's simple. The strings are tuned to the same intervals as the top 4 strings of a guitar but with the 4th string an octave higher. Because the neck is shorter, the pitch is a 4th higher, so if you play a D major shape, it sounds as an A major.

All your guitar chords can be used on a Uke, but because you haven't got the 2 lower strings to think of, a lot of chords can be played with 1 or 2 fingers. If you fret the top string at the 3rd fret, thats a C major, fret the 3rd string at 1st fret and you got yourself an A7. I got a uke last week after many years as a guitarist and I'm loving it, even taught the Missus to play "Raindrops are falling on my Head"

even taught the Missus to play "Raindrops are falling on my Head"

PM me the chords please bro!

I've never tried the uke but I can vouch for mandolin. The (standard) tuning is the same as the violin and is really easy for picking out tunes and soloing. G, C and D chords are extremely easy ... the rest, fairly easy, the only issue is remembering what instrument you're playing. Also, once you can play the mandolin you can also play bouzouki and octave madola with exactly the same fingerings. Ditto for the tenor banjo ... This is the one the majority of Irish players use. The 5 string banjo, on the other hand is not of this world. I had one for about three years, tried in a few different tunings and just never got it. I think my gene pool is too big....

I'm playing the banjo, been at it a few years, i get some kinda tune out of it, but would never call myself anything other than mediocre.

I'm playing the banjo, been at it a few years, i get some kinda tune out of it, but would never call myself anything other than mediocre.

Cool link, sounds good to me mate.

I've never tried the uke but I can vouch for mandolin. The (standard) tuning is the same as the violin and is really easy for picking out tunes and soloing. G, C and D chords are extremely easy ... the rest, fairly easy, the only issue is remembering what instrument you're playing.

I can also vouch for the mando. I have moved onto it from guitar and I find it really easy to pick tunes. I am playing mainly Scottish English & Irish at the moment hoping to do some Bluegrass eventually. Chords are fairly easy but the chop chords needed for bluegrass are much harder to learn and play.

My main problem is picking teqhnique. I can't seem to play the rapid short notes (1&2&3&4&) with any confidence I have tried thin picks, thick picks, angling the pick I guess it just come with practice but I have been practising for 5 months now. Never used the pick with guitar, I only finger picked.

ukulele

anyone fancy giving a few quick lessons to an absolute beginner?

x

ukulele

anyone fancy giving a few quick lessons to an absolute beginner?

x

I'll second that; I'm a guitarist who's become bewitched by the Ukulele. I intend to buy one as soon as finances permit............

I've got a bluegrass banjo, but i don't practice enough to call myself 'good'. I can find my way around it when need be though.

I've played guitar (all kinds) for 20+ years, recently started playing old-time 'clawhammer' banjo on a cheap open backed banjo, really enjoying it, both the playing style and the music. I like blugrass but have no interest in playing it. Lots of good tutorial stuff on the web, there's a whole book called 'the how and tao of old time banjo' thats really good.

Also play Formby-style banjo-uke fairly well, really good feeling when you get the techniques down and start pulling the solos, almost like having a thrash around a drum kit. Easy transfer from a guitar.

Have had a mandolin for years, pick it up occasionally but never really gelled with it. If its got frets and strings I give it a go. I've a small balalaika that I really like noodling on.

Boog