Walkley Cemetery

I,m trying to find info on two relatives buried in paupers graves in walkley cemetery stanley and doreen rowen ,both infants who died before they were one in the region of 1900 to 1940 , does anybody know of whereabouts i could look this up please ? thanks greg

I had a similar problem and contacted FRIENDS OF WALKLEY CEMETERY and they sorted me out.

The organisation is i believe linked to St.Marys Church on South rd.

thanks ,how do i contact them do they an email address ?

thanks ,how do i contact them do they an email address ?

If you simply google...friends of walkley cemetery you will get them

Hello,

I am the chairman of the Friends of Walkley Cemetery.

I have found Stanley's entry in the burial database but I cannot see Doreen. Can you tell me any more about her? Is she Stanley's sister?

Stanley is not buried in a pauper's grave. He is buried with his parents Albert and Ellen in Grave L99. This grave has an inscription which has not yet been recorded. This grave is likely to be very overgrown.

I also have the baptisms of Stanley and two siblings.

If you like I can post the details here or I will send it in a pm.

Regards,

Hugh Waterhouse

Hi , Hugh yes Doreen is Stanleys older sister , believed buried in a paupers grave somewhere near a wall near the jewish cemetery ,as for the grave L99 i am led to to beleive there are others with the name Howard in that grave but i don,t think they are on the inscription because as i remember from a visit many years ago i think it just mentioned Albert and Ellen and recently i visited and as you say it must be overgrown because i couldn,t find it . p.s i have p.m,d you ,

thanks Greg

Walkley cemetary at the end of nichols road used to have a small church in it but now has been demolished , does anyone have a photo of it , why was it demolished , when was it demolished , what was it used for when the cemetary is linked with st.marys on south road and are the crypts still there or have they been filled in ? thanks

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 14:21 ----------

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 14:22 ----------[/size

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Walkley cemetary at the end of nichols road used to have a small church in it but now has been demolished , does anyone have a photo of it , why was it demolished , when was it demolished , what was it used for when the cemetary is linked with st.marys on south road and are the crypts still there or have they been filled in ? thanks

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 14:21 ----------

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 14:22 ----------[/size

nobody knows anything ?

Edited by iamwoody

So sorry I had never seen this post before. Take a look at

23 hours ago, HughW said:

So sorry I had never seen this post before. Take a look at

Great pictures Hugh , i remember it well although never went inside .

Hi Hugh - I noticed a post from you sometime ago about the Jewish cemetery at Walkley. You said that you had a list of the graves in the cemetery and I’m seeking relatives of mine named Simbler and Cliffe who I believe are buried there. Is it possible for you to share the list. Many thanks.

Guest makapaka
On 14/09/2021 at 07:13, RI Baker said:

Hi Hugh - I noticed a post from you sometime ago about the Jewish cemetery at Walkley. You said that you had a list of the graves in the cemetery and I’m seeking relatives of mine named Simbler and Cliffe who I believe are buried there. Is it possible for you to share the list. Many thanks.

There is an Alice cliffe on st Michael’s burial records but I couldn’t see a simbler.

im not sure if st Michael’s records only cover the catholic graves though - there may be separate records for the Jewish cemetery - I don’t know.

Hi Makapaka - thanks for that. Yes it is the Jewish cemetery list I am looking for. I wondered if Hugh had that.