Xmas Illuminations in city centre.

The lights are very disapointing it has to be said.

I can't see many parents rushing out to show the kids, this years christmas decorations. I can't see many kids (and thats what make christmas special) getting too excited about the decorations.

When I was a child, the build up the christmas was such an exciting time, father christmas, christmas trees, snowmen, coloured lights all kinds of reference to christmas.

Its such a shame this generation of children have to miss out on something we took for granted

Yes, I know that, it was dicussed, at length, last year.

Why then, if you already know this, be disrespectful to anothers faith and ask if Eid is "the guy that changes the light bulbs" ?

You think Sheffield's bad? You should see Dublin, it's much more pathetic than that (a european capital city, no less, and one of the most pro-Catholic (therefore "pro-Xmas") contexts, to boot!)

Had a look last night when I left work. Pathetic in my opinion and more in line with somewhere like Worksop than a big city.

I remember my folks taking me into town every year when I was a kid (late 60's - early 70's) to see the lights switch on and every street had them up. All up High Street, around Haymarket, obviously Fargate and the Moor, but even the side streets were lit. It was something to look forward to, but the crappy effort we get nowadays makes me wonder why anyone bothers, or indeed, why Sheffield bothers to put them up. :(

yep, i can remember going to town as a child, a special outing in december just to look at the lights and it was special, we started at one end and finished at the other and had hot chestnuts on the way, i have not seen the lights lit yet but looking at the comments maybe i wont bother.

To be fair, the council can win, and often do by using the same approach with other things.

Make it drab, people complain then lose interest, so they decide not to bother at all anymore ' due to lack of public interest' then spend the money on oh, tarting up the outside of their offices.

I'[m assuming if we have Happy Eid illuminating the streets of Sheffield, we also have Happy Christmas?

Why then, if you already know this, be disrespectful to anothers faith and ask if Eid is "the guy that changes the light bulbs" ?

oh **** off you humourless ****

Meadowhalls xmas lights are really good this year I think its better than any other years as for city centre well thats just a joke.

oh **** off you humourless ****

Are they Christmas stars?

I like the fact Nick went back 8 minutes later to edit his post to add ' you humorless ****'

makes the whole post much more relevant, I feel :lol:

Thing is as the council you can't win on this one.

If the display is meagre, people say "It looks rubbish".

If the display is lavish, people say "What a waste of council tax money"

I object more to the lights being called "Winter Season Lights" or "Festive Lights" than calling them what they are : "Christmas Decorations"

True.

I agree they are pretty poor.

If Eid is the end of Ramadan, which was late September this year I think, why are the council only just wishing us all Happy Eid? I was going to say you couldn't make it up but nothing that comes out of S1 2HH surprises me anymore