Hardy Patent Pick Company

I am doing some research into my Great Uncles life and have recently discovered that he worked for this company in the early 1900's.

I know that I can get information on Sheffield firms in the Archives, but wondered if anyone has any information or memories of this company.

I believe the company premises were on Little London Road.

Message for PopT ! Having problems with my PM's !

My Great Uncle was Charles William Fox and he worked at this company until he emigrated to Canada in 1911.

I will be more than happy to share any information I get - I will visit the Archives in the New Year.

Best wishes - will be in touch soon.

Thanks Daven

PopT

My great-great-grandfather, Arthur Wood, worked for Hardy Patent Pick at Heeley. He lived on Little London Road. He left Staffordshire in approx 1890 to work at Hardys.

I believe It became part of the Laycock Engineering Company, which had sites at Archer Road, Camping Lane and of course Little London Road. There is a Laycock Engineering thread in this section which can be searched for too, that may have some info.

Casten

Do you know if your relative Arthur Wood worked at the Hardy Company in Staffordshire and then transferred up to Sheffield?

If so you may have a similar history to my family.

Happy Days PopT

Hi

I don't know but on the Staffordshire census returns he gives his profession as a shovel maker so he may well have done. I didn't know that there was a Hardy Patent Pick in Staffordshire. Where was it?

My Grandfather Joseph Lowe worked there as a blacksmith early 1900 and my Dad Frank Lowe worked there for a time before moving on to Tyzacks. They all lived in Heeley and Little London Rd. My grandad lent money on monday to men who had drunk their wages. He lent £1 and they returned £1.1sh on Friday. He was The Shekel Man.

Sorry but can't add too much to the thread other than I was born in Sheffield some time ago (old fart) and I have a post hole borer made by the Hardy Pick Co in my shed.I bought it 25+ years ago, second hand and have no idea how old it would be. Still it bores holes with out any problems its only the opperator thats slowing down.

Has anyone done a search at the Ken Hawley Tool collection,there could be something in the archives.

Message for PopT ! Having problems with my PM's !

My Great Uncle was Charles William Fox and he worked at this company until he emigrated to Canada in 1911.

I will be more than happy to share any information I get - I will visit the Archives in the New Year.

Best wishes - will be in touch soon.

Hi Daven, just came onto here with reference to Hardy Pick Co and saw your ref to Charles Fox - Who is my ancestor too! - my great grandmother was his sister - I'd love to get in touch and swap research / pic etc. Thanks for your time, michael

Hi, would you happen to know any information on who owned the company when your Great Uncle worked here (1904)? For example was it a family named Hardy who owned the company. We are researching possible connections here and would be interested to hear of your findings from the archives.

I was working at Laycocks when they took over Hardy Pick, I never worked there but went inside a couple of times and it was like stepping back into the past.

Edited by grinder