Ashleigh School - Did you go there?

Hi Folks!

I attended Ashleigh from 1973 until 1979 and have many happy memories of it!

My favorite teachers were Mr Brown for English and Drama, Mr Burgess and Mrs Booth for Art, Mrs Surr for RI and Mrs Read (even though she never taught me!) I will always be grateful to Mr Gears, without whom I would not have been allowed to go to the School at all!

I was sorry to hear about the passing of Mr Lambert a few years ago; he was my Class Tutor in years 4 and 5 and loved a good laugh! 

My  classmates included Hutch and Hilly (who came with me from Charnock Hall Middle School), Spud, Mac, Woody, Jenny, Dock, Guinness, Goffer, Oatey and Phyllis.... I remember quite a few of the girls as well but was too shy to talk to most of them!

I remember Jeremy and Debbie from your writings and hope to recognise more....

Cheers for now and let's hope we all have a better New Year!   

Hi All and Happy New Year!

Did anyone on here go to Ashleigh between 1972 and 1977/1979?

Chevysheff?

Do you remember Shane Tanner from Ashleigh?!

Wednesdayowl?

Were you a good tennis player?

Cheers!

Isn't this  COVID thing the pitts!

I know I've joined this group belatedly but reading through the uploads has been a real "pick-me-up" at this difficult time. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and particularly to those from my era ofcourse!

I'm pretty sure I know  you Snappy13. Did we last meet at a Jonathan Richman gig at the Leadmill many moons ago? ( A good friend of mine used to call you "PG!"!)

So sorry to read about the passing of Mr Lee, who taught me History when I was in  2Q.  Good to read about Mr Underdown (and his great Hardy quote!) who taught me English in the sixth form. I loved his lessons and still love poetry!!

Anyone remember those "scrapps" behind The Carlton Social Club on Gleadless Road?

Stay safe everyone.

Hi @anoj

I’m in that long list of our classmates, and I still play tennis! I think I know who you are from your login name and clues in your initial post.

Assuming I’m right, how are you?! Good to hear you sounding so chipper. I also have good memories of Ashleigh (though I could have got more out of it if I’d been a harder worker!), especially the drama classes and productions that I think you excelled in. Difficult to believe how long ago it all was, isn’t it?

Take care!

Hi @Chevysheff

Yes, I was there ‘72-‘79. See anoj’s post earlier for a list of most of my classmates.

:)

Edited by sheffworker
Tagging

Hi anoj and sheffworker.

I remember all the names mentioned in the post.

I too  think I know who anoj is through the clues left. Sheffworker a little more difficult though got it down to 2 or 3 I think.

I was in a different form to you, in the same year. Went to the same 6th form does at Tree Tops.

I doubt you will work out who I am from this post, though possible if you look  at others I have done, some time ago.

Hope you are both well.

Have either of you made it into the over 60 class yet.? will get you a covid jab earlier than some with birthdays at the latter end of our school year.

All the best...

I can add a few names to that little lot including Andy Wragg, Chris Kynaston, Jeff Marson, Steven Rooke,  William Ward, Dave Needham, Mrs Gears, Mrs Hodgson, Mr Westnedge, Mr Hunter, Mrs Blagden and Mr Underdown; a great teacher that taught Joe Cocker at the Central Tech.

I also remember a few of the girls including one whose name I can't recall but her registration number in the second year was "TWENTY EIGHT!" If you were in 2E back then you'll remember her, too! Debra Leary, Clare Barrett, Julie Hooton, Julie Crapper, Susan Bullock , Julie Bellamy and Elaine Jameson. Nope, I daren't speak to them, either. I remember the do's at Tiffany's. The most sick I think I've ever been following the first one I went to.

28 = Angela Trusswell I think?

Struggling to think who you are? Any clues....

Angela Trusswell!! Of course!

Big bloke, I tended to stay out of the lime light 😉

I'm not sure who you are, either....?

Edited by Chevysheff

OK, I think I've got @loughborough and @anoj, but I'm struggling a bit with @Chevysheff. From the names I'd guess you weren't in my class, but could be wrong!

Is it just me that finds it a bit strange how cagey everyone is?! I'm the Woody from @anoj's earlier post!