Ashleigh School - Did you go there?

Originally posted by Touche

Look up the Central Technical school pages, you will see some familiar names!

On the Central Technical School pages I recognise Mr. Hunter (woodwork), Mr. Howell (sports), Mr. Hughes (music), Mr. Groake (physics) and Mr. King (French). I knew about Mr. Hunter because he also taught my dad in the '40s when he was at the Central Technical School. I remember one of Mr. Hunter's classes and he was trying to get David Ryan to cut a straight line using a back saw. After several failed attempts Hunter explained that he only needed to move his arm backwards and forwards holding the saw and didn't even need to look. He tied his apron over his head and set him off sawing a piece of wood again. This time he cut a perfect straight line to which Hunter said, "you do better with your eyes poked out lad".

That sounds like Hunter through and through. I have a grave admission to make....I did A level woodwork...I know, you can all laugh, but trust me, when your woodwork teacher(s), Mr Bolan and Mr Jackson, phone you up at home with panic in their voices, let alone mine, that Mr Hunter was to be your examiner...it speaks volumes. There was also more work involved than any of the other A levels I took (laugh again if you wish!). Lesson Places!

I did O level woodwork not I could do any joinery right. Maybe I should have done the A-level. Mr. Jackson took my O level class and I remember him telling me that working with wood is like being a surgeon. It's a good thing I wasn't trying to save a life. It took me two years to make a chess table which I didn't really finish. Mr. Bolan was present during the practical exam. I must have looked so nervous, after the exam he said you could have looked a bit happier. He always seem cheerful.

Hi,

Messrs Bolan and Jackson got me through it (just). They were wonderful. Your quote of Mr Jacksons was exactly how he taught. It was funny, I used to spend any free time I had in the workshops (where would you get facilities like that now?), and all the teachers used to come in after hours and do fiddles to make some extra cash or their own diy stuff. The sight of Mr Underdown planing some timber was a novelty! About ohh, ten years after I left school, I got a bizarre phone call from Mr Jackson...Could he come and see me at home, he had a business proposition for me...I was curious...He had become a salesman in a pyramid chain and wanted me to join...Some USA firm...amco or something...He was a good teacher, it seemed a shame somehow...

And Mr Bolan was the absolute salt of the earth...

When I think back there were quite a few dedicated teachers at Ashleigh. It does seem a shame that Mr. Jackson left teaching. I cannot place Mr. Underdown.

He was an English teacher. He loved his welsh poets and used to stride up and down the classroom pretending to be Owen Glendower. He had a 'shock' of thick hair hanging down his forehead!

Thanks, I do remember him now although he never taught me. Sounds like his lessons were an experience.

does anyone know susan atkin ? she used to go to ashleigh in 70s??

Hi, her name sounds familiar....any idea whose form she was in?

My brother went to Ashleigh School. He left in 1976 because he had a serious accident and the school would not let him go back because of his physical difficulties. His name is Andrew Proctor. Do you remember him?