Ashleigh School - Did you go there?

Hi any of the originals out there?

I was in my 5th year at Hurlfield Girls when the school changed to Ashleigh.

No more pulling your stockings up on the corridor and horror of horrors they turned one of our girlie toilets into a men only one!!

Teachers were Mr Pickering Mr and Mrs Blagden Mr White. Mr Fyffe was the headteacher.

We thought we had died and gone to heaven as we had boys all day long. No longer had to trek down to the hedge and chat over the bushes!!

Love to talk to anyone who was there........................1970 ish:|

Hi Originals.

I left what was CTS before it became Ashleigh, I can remember we used to play cricket and rugby in the top field alongside Hurlfield Girls, not much sport on the field was done, the bushes saw more activity.

Those were the days, can you remember the Rothwell girls

YES, espadrille!

I went on two school cruises - i think the first was on uganda (but it might have been Nevada) and it went to portugal, madeira and the azores, about '74.

the second went from naples to barcelona, tunisia, korkula and venice, in about 78.

which ones did u do?

Could the other ship have been the Nevasa ?

YES, espadrille!

I went on two school cruises - i think the first was on uganda (but it might have been Nevada) and it went to portugal, madeira and the azores, about '74.

the second went from naples to barcelona, tunisia, korkula and venice, in about 78.

which ones did u do?

The second one,with all the canadians on!

Didn't go to the school,but i was in the 362 squadron Air Cadets which was based there in the mid '80s

I was at Ashleigh from '71 to '77. I remember may of the teaches there. I have also seen a lot of memorable names and some old school photos on friends reunited, well worth a look. i heard Miss Braunt had died a few years ago. I think she was married to another teacher.

I have seen quite a few old names of friendsreunited. I'm wondering what happened to Jackie Fletcher and Jill Whitely... anybody know them?

Hi Mr Tingle, you were head of lower school when i was there 1976 -82. I remember mrs wingrove, mr underdown, doc dick etc. Mr underdown was my form teacher in 2I. Still , see some people - Paula Turton,(my year) Kathryn Quin, Andree Parkin, Vicky Brown (year above). Did anyone go to the reunion at the embassy ballroom a few years ago?

I was at Ashleigh from 76 - 80. remember one of the buildings was slowly sinking. Had a great big playing field which I used to play golf. remember going to the youth club in the lower school 2nd & 3rd year. Had better memories of lower school than upper school ... dont know why..... prob more happened then.

You're not nigel cox are you?

Times New Roman

I used to live on Seagrave and walked it, there were no people carriers then. Does anyone remember the Bungalow Stores on Gleadless Common? There was another shop just up from the New Inn, was it 'Brown's). The Punch Bowl chippy as well...

Those were the days... when kids actually walked to and from school.

Aye, the bungalow store closed a good few years before Browns did. Where was the Punch Bowl chippy? Was it part of the pub? Can you remember the corner shop on Hurlfield Crescent, which was run by a very elderly lady... again it has long since gone.

Adviser,

I did hang around with Graham, Michael and David mainly in the first year at Ashleigh; we all knew each other from Gleadless County Junior. Michael and David were in my class and Graham lived in my neighborhood. I notice from other threads that your surname is Hall and that you were born the same year as me and so presumably in my year at school. I'm afraid that I cannot place you though - fading memory.

Gleadless County Junior... very grand.

Was the old farm building acquired by the school facing Gleadless Common? I remember the smell.....yuk!

Nope it remained a pig farm till quite recently. A developer purchased it, extended it, added additional buildings and sold it / them as townhouses.