Ashleigh School - Did you go there?

Big gap in the posts here, but I thought I'd sign in and let Ashleigh alumni know I used to teach there in the late 70s, up until the amalgamation with Hurlfield in 1988 ... what a difficult birth that was!

If you want any updates on staff, or alumni, let me know the years. And yes, anything about Myrtle Springs up to 2006, I may also know about.

"Chewbacca".

Big gap in the posts here, but I thought I'd sign in and let Ashleigh alumni know I used to teach there in the late 70s, up until the amalgamation with Hurlfield in 1988 ... what a difficult birth that was!

If you want any updates on staff, or alumni, let me know the years. And yes, anything about Myrtle Springs up to 2006, I may also know about.

"Chewbacca".

I remember you! A good English teacher - I took my "O" levels in 1981 & got a grade "A" for English Lit (I think that we did The Chrysalids and Romeo & Juliet). I was also one of the few (29 as I recall) to get a pass in English Language that year, there was definitely something amiss with the examiners' marking. Recall that you used to live at Handsworth?

I remember you! A good English teacher - I took my "O" levels in 1981 & got a grade "A" for English Lit (I think that we did The Chrysalids and Romeo & Juliet). I was also one of the few (29 as I recall) to get a pass in English Language that year, there was definitely something amiss with the examiners' marking. Recall that you used to live at Handsworth?

Wow, yes I do remember - a rogue marker. Following those results Mr Fyfe had HMI in to scrutinise the English department. We got a glowing report!

Wow, yes I do remember - a rogue marker. Following those results Mr Fyfe had HMI in to scrutinise the English department. We got a glowing report!

Pleased to hear that! On the English Department side I also remember Mr Underdown & Mr Barlow. Before you took over, our English teacher was Mrs King - she got no trouble at all from the lads due to her obvious assets (& I'm not talking about her 1954 split-screen Morris Minor in metallic crimson!)

My other teachers through the years at Ashleigh were Mr Surr, Mrs Livesey, Mr Crisp, Mr Potts, Mr Morgan, Mr Hughes, Mr Slack, Mr Pearson, Mr Jackson, Mr Westnidge (who thought that he was still in the army), Mrs "Two Demerits!!" Liddle, Mr Lee, Mr Taylor, Mr Holden, Mrs Gears, Mr Donald & Mr White.

Pleased to hear that! On the English Department side I also remember Mr Underdown & Mr Barlow. Before you took over, our English teacher was Mrs King - she got no trouble at all from the lads due to her obvious assets (& I'm not talking about her 1954 split-screen Morris Minor in metallic crimson!)

My other teachers through the years at Ashleigh were Mr Surr, Mrs Livesey, Mr Crisp, Mr Potts, Mr Morgan, Mr Hughes, Mr Slack, Mr Pearson, Mr Jackson, Mr Westnidge (who thought that he was still in the army), Mrs "Two Demerits!!" Liddle, Mr Lee, Mr Taylor, Mr Holden, Mrs Gears, Mr Donald & Mr White.

Update...

Ron Underdown - still going strong in his 80s, although the only time I see him is at funerals.

Pete Barlow (I was best man at his wedding)...went to teach at Myers in 1986...May have retired now.

Brian Surr's enjoying retirement - lives near Morrison's at Mosboro'.

Pottsy retired a while ago and is enjoying his golf and cycling.

Steve Holden ended up at Sheffield Hallam, via Tapton, before retiring, and travels the globe now.

Graham Taylor is also retired, and is as fit as a butcher's dog.

Were you in the same year as Stan the Fireman (Darren Staniland)? Occasionally, we saddoes meet up at the Phoenix, and Darren has joined us a couple of times.

Tell you what ...our next meeting is on Thursday, 3rd December...you could sneak in and pike incognito, and see who has aged most disgracefully!

I knew a girl called Joanne curr, would love to know where she is now, lost contact with her and her cousin Pam.

Update...

Ron Underdown - still going strong in his 80s, although the only time I see him is at funerals.

Pete Barlow (I was best man at his wedding)...went to teach at Myers in 1986...May have retired now.

Brian Surr's enjoying retirement - lives near Morrison's at Mosboro'.

Pottsy retired a while ago and is enjoying his golf and cycling.

Steve Holden ended up at Sheffield Hallam, via Tapton, before retiring, and travels the globe now.

Graham Taylor is also retired, and is as fit as a butcher's dog.

Were you in the same year as Stan the Fireman (Darren Staniland)? Occasionally, we saddoes meet up at the Phoenix, and Darren has joined us a couple of times.

Tell you what ...our next meeting is on Thursday, 3rd December...you could sneak in and pike incognito, and see who has aged most disgracefully!

Thanks for that - don't remember Darren Staniland? Phoenix on Thursday 3rd December would be good, I go in there from time to time & it's just an easy 30 minute walk for me so hopefully I could meet you all then? What sort of time do you meet up? Cheers!

Thanks for that - don't remember Darren Staniland? Phoenix on Thursday 3rd December would be good, I go in there from time to time & it's just an easy 30 minute walk for me so hopefully I could meet you all then? What sort of time do you meet up? Cheers!

8.30 - 9.00 is the usual time. You'd be very welcome.

Hi' us a clue, though...what's your first name, and the initial letter of your surname?

8.30 - 9.00 is the usual time. You'd be very welcome.

Hi' us a clue, though...what's your first name, and the initial letter of your surname?

Thanks for that, hope to see you all then.

Andrew S.

Sat at the front with Alan Drabble & Paul Machen.

P.S. I recall now that we did The Merchant of Venice for "O" level & I was given Shylock's part to read in class. Romeo & Juliet was our "AO" level Shakespeare play for the year after, with Pete Barlow.

Edited by GleadlessLad

I knew a girl called Joanne curr, would love to know where she is now, lost contact with her and her cousin Pam.

Joanne is my cousin would you like me to pass a message on?

Edited by Markstevo

Thanks for that, hope to see you all then.

Andrew S.

Sat at the front with Alan Drabble & Paul Machen.

P.S. I recall now that we did The Merchant of Venice for "O" level & I was given Shylock's part to read in class. Romeo & Juliet was our "AO" level Shakespeare play for the year after, with Pete Barlow.

Yes, I do remember you Andrew. Alan - did he and/or his dad have a driving school? Shylock, eh? Hoffman, Pacino, Sher and Speight, so you're in good company there.

Hope to see you on the 3rd Andrew.

Yes, I do remember you Andrew. Alan - did he and/or his dad have a driving school? Shylock, eh? Hoffman, Pacino, Sher and Speight, so you're in good company there.

Hope to see you on the 3rd Andrew.

Pleased that you remember me! Can't recall what Alan's dad did but Alan certainly set up a driving school; yes hopefully I'll see you all next week. Cheers!