Ashleigh School - Did you go there?

i went to ashleigh school.1982-86.used to knock about with nicola carter...tammy thistleswate..sharon easto..sharon barson...

Hi i went to ashleigh school as well, left in 1985, its a shame its been knocked down, was in mrs blagdend form class got cane a few times off her, my name is denise, known as dids at school

Hello jerseygirl/Rachel. Would you be Elaine's sister by any chance? I was in the same year as her, nice person as I remember.

Chris 74-79

Originally Posted by kvmskry

Hi Neil I seem to remember you although I was in the year below you. Best mates with Dave Mitchell, Andy Allen, Mel Webster etc. Just fund the websight thought I'd give it a shot.

Kev Maskrey

Hi kev , yes i remember you vaguely..........i think you also knocked about with Craig Hill , i,m good mates with his brother Aidy.

I,m a little confused.................your talking to Fishermack and calling him Cocky , which was my nickname.

If it helps at all i am small with dark hair , however i lived on Fleury Road ( next to the electrical substation) and i,ve never been beaten up outside Samanthas........p@ssed many times but never beaten up.

I left ashleigh in 1976, lived on norfok park in them days down at the bottom end (park spring drive) wonder if there is any more forum members from there. Great to hear from u if u was at ashleigh in 76.

I went to Ashleigh and lived just above the shops on the NorfolkPark, did you lgo to Bluestone

I went on SS Uganda - I think it was about 1978 - Jan/Feb time- 2 week Med tour (Malta/Egypt/Israel/Turkey/Greece and ending up in Venice. Cost my dad £175 and we were so poor he saved £5 a week out of his measly £50 wages just so I could go.

The food was lousy- I lost 1/2 stone (brilliant!) and survived on Revels and 7-Up, I got airsick, seasick and homesick, hated being cooped up on the ship but loved seeing all the sites.

An experience I will never forget. Especially when my mate Julie Vollum's supply of paper knickers got nicked and stapled to the noticeboard...(Julie if you're reading this- sorry for bringing it up after all these years!) Mind you, you did get your own back when you told me you could trim my fringe for me because your mum was a hairdresser...Thanks for the attractive stepped effect, I looked terrific on the school group photo (not).

I also went on that cruise, and got into loads of trouble with Joanne and Nichola Varga and Joanne Burks for getting drunk on Ouzo. Can you remember they just let us roam about on our own in Egypt etc. Had a brilliant time, I particularly remember a very tall dark haired lad who was in the 6th form, he was very sweet and kept an eye out for us. Can't remember his name. I also lived on Revels and oranges, can you remember the stink when you went down for food, god that's why no one ate even the milk was lousy.

Yep I was on that cruise to. It was Jan/Feb '79. I remember it well cause I had my 16th Birthday on 30th Jan while we were on board the SS Uganda in Malta waiting to set sail.

A brilliant experience. I still have the photo's, including the one of the whole group taken, if I remember rightly in a place called Navarino Bay/Greece.

Still love Malta and have been back several times since.

Chris

You wren't the very nice tall dark haired boy were you?

Anyone remember Miss Sharp? She was our form teacher in 1979, I seem to recall was our form number was 2H.Did anyone go on the cruise in 1980? We went to Naples,Cairo,Dubrovnik,Santorini and Lindos,Harry White was on it and Mr and Mrs Fyfe, but can't remember any other teachers on it.

Yep I went on that cruise also, shared with Joanne Vargai still have the photo's

can you remember the stink when you went down for food, god that's why no one ate even the milk was lousy.

I went on the Uganda cruise in 1979 (right in the middle of the Winter of Discontent when the school was being kept closed due to lack of heating fuel).

I remember the food on the S.S. Uganda. It was (ahem) variable at times.

Breakfast was a traditional English style fryup or "continental" (cereal, toast).

You went in to meals based on your group (we had badges to identify which school group we came from). I've still got my Van Diemen badge somewhere.

If you wanted seconds there was a special session at the end of mealtime that anyone could go to.

The guys serving the food were all middle eastern blokes, they seemed very friendly as I recall. Can't say I'd have been so cheery having to serve us lot 3 times a day.

There's a book on the history of the S.S. Uganda.

Link

Last time I saw the ship was in Venice, although I do remember seeing her in the Falklands as the back up hospital ship to the QE II.

One of my fave memories is after lights out, when the teachers used to come in several times to tell us to keep quiet. They always seemed to be very smartly dressed (dinner suits) and I thought at the time that they seemed to be having a better time than us.

Edited by Vague_Boy
Typo

You wren't the very nice tall dark haired boy were you?

I hope that's a rhetorical question Teresa. I was indeed tall, and surprisingly still am, and dark-haired, although now with 'silver' highlights, and yes I'm very nice although I wasn't in the sixth form. I was nearing the end of the fifth and left Ashleigh about 3 months later. Be nice to think 'I was that boy'....lol.

I've put 1 or 2 choice piccies on the Friends Reu site in the photos section.

Recognise anyone.

Chris

Harry White was on it and Mr and Mrs Fyfe

Mr Fyfe was on the 1979 cruise as well, along with Mrs Wingrove (and her son Vaughn, who bunked opposite me). Can't remember the other teachers alas, a lot has faded with time. :(

Edited by Vague_Boy
Bloomin' typo!

On close inspection of the group photo. There's no Harry White.

There is Mr and Mrs Ffyfe (with their daughter Fiona I believe), another couple (I recognise the guys face put can't put a name to it), another guy who I assume is Mr Wingrove and Mrs Wingrove with her son Vaughn who spent a surprisingly large amount of time locked in the life-jacket cupboard in the corner of that large communal area that we used to gather in at the back of the ship, yeah the one that always stank of curry.

Really wish I could get a good scan of this photo blown up.

But wait....I think I still have the negative.....Oh joy.

Offers please, in American Dollars.....lol.

Later

Chris