Entrepreneurs in Sheffield.

I see what you're saying, but lots of commentators (BBC) are seeing this as some sort of masterstroke, I personally think its madness, still if the end goal is to stay in power at any cost then bankrupting the country in exchange for a lot of votes from people who will benefit, is a price he is willing to pay.

It's a bold, brilliant move BY and FOR Mr Gordon Brown, certainly...

StarSparkle

There are many of us who want to help people and not rip people off and I think that organisations like the council/PCTs should work in partnership with private companies.

What do you think?

If you aren't there to make money you aren't an entrepreneur, you're a charity worker. If you set up a business and choose to give your earning to charity you're a philanthropist but normally the entreprenuer needs to make a living for him/herself first and that isn't usually by ripping customers off. If he is ripping the customers off he won't get going in the first place.

I was at The Walnut Club last night at an entrepreneurs event and they were saying that Sheffield does not have enough entrepreneurs and we need more.

Yes - the whole of the UK needs more because its the SME's that the economy relies on for employment.

There are many of us who want to help people and not rip people off and I think that organisations like the council/PCTs should work in partnership with private companies.

What do you think?

Isn't that what the RDA's are supposed to be doing?

For the record, entrepreneurism is in everyones blood (its just creativity by another name) but like everything, it needs to be nurtured. The education system doesn't nurture it (because education is standardised) and if you're through that and working for the man, it takes a real push to change status from employee to employer and keep the shirt on your back in the process - even if your entrepreneurial idea is phenomenal.

Getting support isn't easy. Sheffield has organisations set up to do this, but unless you've done some serious reseach, you'd be hard pushed to name them and then IMO they don't necessarily deliver - we could do with an altogether better quality of advisor.

Perhaps if an entrepreneur were to set up an exchange type affair... your skills for my knowledge type of thing... with no salaries to be had, something might get done!

IMO it won't be the council or the government that changes things - it will be ... entrepreneurs!

Yes - the whole of the UK needs more because its the SME's that the economy relies on for employment.

Isn't that what the RDA's are supposed to be doing?

For the record, entrepreneurism is in everyones blood (its just creativity by another name) but like everything, it needs to be nurtured. The education system doesn't nurture it (because education is standardised) and if you're through that and working for the man, it takes a real push to change status from employee to employer and keep the shirt on your back in the process - even if your entrepreneurial idea is phenomenal.

Getting support isn't easy. Sheffield has organisations set up to do this, but unless you've done some serious reseach, you'd be hard pushed to name them and then IMO they don't necessarily deliver - we could do with an altogether better quality of advisor.

Perhaps if an entrepreneur were to set up an exchange type affair... your skills for my knowledge type of thing... with no salaries to be had, something might get done!

IMO it won't be the council or the government that changes things - it will be ... entrepreneurs!

I agree and this was the entrepreneurs exchange at the Walnut Club on Monday

If you aren't there to make money you aren't an entrepreneur, you're a charity worker. If you set up a business and choose to give your earning to charity you're a philanthropist but normally the entreprenuer needs to make a living for him/herself first and that isn't usually by ripping customers off. If he is ripping the customers off he won't get going in the first place.

Yes, I know that, but dont you think that in Sheffield there is a perception that Private should be looked upon as business to keep away from?

All the funding is geared around the 3rd sector isnt it and hardly any financial assistance for private.

As Espidrille said the event attended on Monday is the beginnings of exactly that, although it is backed by the scheme I am employed by we are not actually part of it, it is the idea of a Sheffield Entreprnure and we are just suupporting her with the administration of getting it going. She is currently looking for entreprenures who are willing to get involved so the club can be run solely by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and we can step away from it.

Until and unless the Council, politicians, 3rd sector -whatever you want to call them (I call them 'windmills'- wind is all they produce) all realise that real added value (the one that results in money to pay taxes which then gets redistributed to Councils, Quangos, 3rd sector etc.) can only ever be generated by the private sector, particularly the export one, and they start coming up with policies to gear up entrepreneurship and exports accordingly, we're all p*ssing upwind anyway. Don't worry so much about Brown, just look at France over the last 20 years or so: if you think entrepreneurs have it bad here, you should get chatting to some over there (double the social charges, double the corporate tax, double the personal income rate, etc, etc. only a slight exaggeration, and the list goes on).

Yes, I know that, but dont you think that in Sheffield there is a perception that Private should be looked upon as business to keep away from?

All the funding is geared around the 3rd sector isnt it and hardly any financial assistance for private.

I'm not so sure that real entreprenuers have ever enjoyed much support, if any, from councils. A real entrepreneur however can manage without them. I've never had a penny from them for my business despite various requests over the years.

I'm not so sure that real entreprenuers have ever enjoyed much support, if any, from councils. A real entrepreneur however can manage without them. I've never had a penny from them for my business despite various requests over the years.

But it is different if you are trying to sell a service to them though.You do need them to understand that what you do may be useful to them.

But it is different if you are trying to sell a service to them though.You do need them to understand that what you do may be useful to them.
Yes but as an entrepreneur you have to know how to do that and if you can't you're not a successful entrepreneur. Just having an idea that you think would be good for them unfortunately isn't enough.

Councils and governments are by nature late adopters, not early ones. Early adopters of new services and products are people with insight who can see the future - not organisations who always do what they've always done. But I'm sure you already know that.

Surely the difference between new business and entrepreneurism is cash? An entrepreneur will make something happen without cash (I think most well known entrepreneurs have) - an individual with an idea for a business probably won't.

You sound like a Thatcher doll thaaaat's batttterieees aaaaaaare ruuuunnning llloooooowww.