HD-DVD is not dead, US Sales even stronger

My next piece of equipment is likely to be a high quality upscaler from Oppo, rather than a Blu Ray player.

They're making a Blu-Ray player and if the upscaling is as good as their 983 it will be worth waiting :D

They're making a Blu-Ray player and if the upscaling is as good as their 983 it will be worth waiting :D

If the Oppo Blu Ray player has a good an upscaler as the 983, then it's not going to be cheap!

It's ironic that Blue-Ray won the disc war but HD Tv's are here to stay as the Television networks opted for HDMI format.

It's ironic that Blue-Ray won the disc war but HD Tv's are here to stay as the Television networks opted for HDMI format.

Mixing your crayons a little bit... ;)

BluRay and HD-DVD are two DVD formats (meaning two different ways of encoding the DVD medium), both of which are for use with HDTVs (through HDMI or component).

'TV networks' have nothing to do with HDMI, but everything to do with digital TV signals in HD (576p/720p).

Put simply: you transfer HD TV signals (e.g. 576p/720p BBC HD, ITV HD, etc.) from your Freeview HD or Sky HD to your HDTV through HDMI and you transfer High-Def DVD signal (1080p or less) from your BluRay player or HD-DVD player to your HDTV through HDMI. For instance.

Pfft.. Blu Ray = another reason for me to hate Sony, tis all.

You can never have too many reasons to hate evil Corporations! :D:evil:

Certainly not. Microsoft were in danger of becoming liked but thank God they released Vista!

Thanks for explaining it to me. :thumbsup:

No biggie, you're welcome :thumbsup:

(glad to help clearing up the needless techno-babbling the likes of Sony, Currys and others like to use, for confusing punters out of their hard-earned :suspect:)

Pfft.. Blu Ray = another reason for me to hate Sony, tis all.

You can never have too many reasons to hate evil Corporations! :D:evil:

That didn't take long...MS troll.

well i got my bargain basement HD-E1 today and flashed it with September 08 Firmware v4.0. I have 10 films with it and the picture is totally amazing :D

I tried the guide on the net about making your own HD-DVD's with normal DVD's. I managed to get a 1hr 11min music video on a DVD 5 (4.3gb) @ 1440x1080 at high quality with Dolby Digital sound.

I'm going to get some DVD9 disks next and try some bigger files at better settings, the converter says they should be 8.7gb.

If all goes well then this player is a keeper :thumbsup:

Some real bargains to be had at places like play.com and amazon for HD-DVD's .... Whilst they are still around than they are a great cheap alternative to blu ray !