Have you read any books which have had a profound effect on your life?

Recently read Stephen King's The Green Mile. Whilst I wouldn't call it life changing, it made me question my attitudes in general and think what a horrible place this world can be.

I'd say though that Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights had a more lasting impact. Its prose is stunning, the way the words describe the nature around us and our own human nature.

Yet it isn't a beautiful book; it's quite haunting. But life is like that if you ask me, more the stunted firs than the sunny daffodils.

Emily Bronte only wrote the one novel and she gave us this masterpiece. You cannot live life without reading it at least once!

Its not about the bike - Lance Armstrong's biography, scary what he went thru and still managed what he did afterwards, LEGEND.

Fantastic Mr Fox . . What a story of heroism, loyalty and unselfishness. A family battling against the odds to secure a rightful place in a society that doesn't want them!.. Superb.

Charlottes Web . . Again, superb & profound effect.

Teeny tiny and The Witch Woman Although it's no longer published, this is one hell of an amazing book and tells the story of a vertically-challenged person who goes on a journey of self discovery and has to escape the clutches of an evil, woman ( much like a manager ) to realise his potential.

When little Teddy lost his Wellies Sad, sad story I will never forget. :cry:

I'd say though that Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights had a more lasting impact. Its prose is stunning, the way the words describe the nature around us and our own human nature.

Yet it isn't a beautiful book; it's quite haunting. But life is like that if you ask me, more the stunted firs than the sunny daffodils.

Emily Bronte only wrote the one novel and she gave us this masterpiece. You cannot live life without reading it at least once!

Spot on. I'm pleased that you didn't describe it as a love story as I think it's more a tale of love/hate and revenge.

Bram Stoker's Dracula and Du Maurier's Rebecca are old time favourites of mine that I reread on a regular basis.

I think I've got too many to list :)

oooh, have a go...:)

Spot on. I'm pleased that you didn't describe it as a love story as I think it's more a tale of love/hate and revenge.

Bram Stoker's Dracula and Du Maurier's Rebecca are old time favourites of mine that I reread on a regular basis.

I love Wuthering heights and Rebecca. Rarely re read books though.

oooh, have a go...:)

Go on, then...:hihi:

Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy has had the most profound effect in 'real' terms, because reading it and then writing about it has enabled me to now get paid to sit around reading novels all day, every day. Result :D

Honourable mention to Thomas Hardy, and to Kathy Acker, who is indirectly responsible for the tattoo on my wrist.

My boyfriend has promised me a t-shirt with 'books are my crack' written on the front.

Go on, then...:hihi:

Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy has had the most profound effect in 'real' terms, because reading it and then writing about it has enabled me to now get paid to sit around reading novels all day, every day. Result :D

Honourable mention to Thomas Hardy, and to Kathy Acker, who is indirectly responsible for the tattoo on my wrist.

My boyfriend has promised me a t-shirt with 'books are my crack' written on the front.

You write reviews then?

Thomas Hardy, what can I say. Master of doom, epic writer :)

You write reviews then?

Thomas Hardy, what can I say. Master of doom, epic writer :)

No, I'm doing a PhD. So, to be fair, it's not just novels. Sounds better that way though :hihi:

Yep, Hardy is the master all right. :love:

I've thought of some more: Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Susan Faludi's Backlash. Two masterpieces of feminist theory, in their very different ways.

It's interesting how people tend to mention books they read when they were younger...I was reading an interview with Roald Dahl's widow in the paper the other day. He was great, too - I loved The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I've thought of some more: Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Susan Faludi's Backlash. Two masterpieces of feminist theory, in their very different ways.

Yes I agree on both those counts.

It's interesting how people tend to mention books they read when they were younger...I was reading an interview with Roald Dahl's widow in the paper the other day. He was great, too - I loved The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I almost added Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree Stories to my list. Little Women is another book I read and loved. For some reason a rather trashy novel by Andrea Newman alled MacKenzie made a huge impact on me in my teens.

The first adult book I read as a kid- H.G. Wells book The War of the worlds.

The effect was good, I read it during the summer holidays when I was six and I sat in the garden in the sunshine and even now when I read the book it takes me back to that summer.

The story is set at the end of the summer, just as its turning into autumn and Wells captured that time of the year perfectly even though he wasnt really focusing on it and wasnt the best of writers.