Have you read any books which have had a profound effect on your life?

It would help if your read them rather than have them thrown at your head then :P

i have both read them and banged my head against them. so similar but so different. the mind boggles:confused:

The Hours by Michael Cunningham was a stunner. It made me want to write a book. I just managed a short story and the inspiration dried up.

Yes and "The magic Porridge Pot" is a wonderful yet often harrowing story into how one family's bereavement descends into a struggle against drug addiction.

My kids will never be fooled by any little old lady stood outside their school gates offering them a little pot.

H E A V Y !! ;)

There's so many books that effected me, especially when I was younger:

Reading the last few chapters of Kafka's "The Trial" at 4am.

Henry Miller: Tropic of Cancer

Charles Bukowski: Screams from the Balcony

DH Lawrence: Women in Love

Celine: Journey to the End of the Night

Primo Levi: If this is a Man

I've not tried that one - have you read Quantum Psychology also be RAW?

In dribs and drabs of someone else's copy. It seems to build on Prometheus Rising though. Given the number of people on SF who claim that one thing is another (including myself), it should probably also be required reading.

Prometheus Rising was the book that had a profound effect on my life though. Described (accurately IMO) as an "owner's manual for the human brain" by the author, it really did open the door to my own greater understanding of people and forced me to revise quite a few of my preconceived notions.

Have you read anything that has affected you profoundly?

my halifax savings book:hihi:

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. Brilliant, harrowing, terrifying and eminently plausible, more so now that when it was first written over 20 years ago.

Non Fiction would be Barefoot Doctor's Urban Warrior.

Fiction would be:

The Cross and The Switchblade at school for RE and thinking if all gang members found Jesus, we'd all be OK. and then i grew up..

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

The Outsiders/Rumblefish/That was then this is now by SE Hinton

Tess of the D'Urbavilles, Thomas Hardy (think you can identify with anyone when your 17)

Torrents of Spring (Ernest Hemmingway)

Dark Materials trilogy (Philip Pullman) makes you think about life, the universe and everything

Red Rackham's Treasure and The Prisoners of the Sun - Herge