WELL DONE to Sheffield City Council for stopping the St Paul's Monster

I come from a big city that's twice the size of Sheffield, Birmingham.

What I can't understand is why you want to rush headlong into the so called success that you probably think Birmingham is just because of it's size.

To outsiders Birmingham probably looks like the glitzy, modern place that a few of you want to turn Sheffield into but I can assure you the reality is far from that.

Birmingham has record levels of child poverty, higher overall crime levels per head of population than Sheffield and serious physical and mental health problems especially amongst it's immigrant population. Is this what you wish to aspire to?

There does seem to be an insecurity amongst some of you so called progressives that leads you to think 'the other man's grass is always greener.'

I feel you should try and be a little more enlightened. A bit like Jody Mitchell when she sang, 'don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.'

did you mean JONI mitchell?

I was part of a consortium of university students and lecturers from both universities .......etc put together specifically to look at the redevelopment of the Heart of the City in the early 90's.

Our remit was to come up with concrete proposals that would give maximum impact for the city as a millenium project......

Oh dear pini, concrete is so 1960's, no wonder they were rejected. Should have gone for the glass cladding look.... :lol:

So why the hell do you attack those who dare to compare Sheffield unfavourably with other places as regards shopping, job oppportunities, architecture and the general appearance of the place etc?

Because you make out that Sheffield is the worst hellhole on earth without good reason.

We all know Leeds/Manc as way better than Sheff for shopping as well as being better for jobs in finance etc.

But WHY do you have to keep shoving it down our throats at every opportunity?

I'm sure if any Sheffielder on this forum hate the city in the way you do, they'd move away - maybe to the utopia that is Leeds?

You still seem unable to tell us why you come on this forum. I don't get it?

Because you make out that Sheffield is the worst hellhole on earth without good reason.

We all know Leeds/Manc as way better than Sheff for shopping as well as being better for jobs in finance etc.

But WHY do you have to keep shoving it down our throats at every opportunity?

I'm sure if any Sheffielder on this forum hate the city in the way you do, they'd move away - maybe to the utopia that is Leeds?

Sheffield ought to be better than what it is. It is supposed to be a city of 500,000-plus, not a town of less than 100,000. And I'm afraid that in its way of thinking, it is more like a town of 100,000. Leeds and Manchester think big. They've got a far bigger economy than Sheffield through being ambitious, and it has led to the sort of shops and bars opening that won't open in Sheffield for years to come - if ever. Sheffield ought to be able to compete with these two, as well as Nottingham - another city that has left Sheffield behind.

Sheffield ought to be better than what it is. It is supposed to be a city of 500,000-plus, not a town of less than 100,000. And I'm afraid that in its way of thinking, it is more like a town of 100,000. Leeds and Manchester think big. They've got a far bigger economy than Sheffield through being ambitious, and it has led to the sort of shops and bars opening that won't open in Sheffield for years to come - if ever. Sheffield ought to be able to compete with these two, as well as Nottingham - another city that has left Sheffield behind.

It remains to be seen how sustainable Leeds and Manchester's economies are. This table shows which towns and cities are most vulnerable in this recession http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/table/2008/nov/24/recession-creditcrunch

Leeds and Manchester are 5th and 7th most vulnerable, while Sheffield is 26th.

Edit: the research was done by accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young

Sheffield ought to be better than what it is. It is supposed to be a city of 500,000-plus, not a town of less than 100,000. And I'm afraid that in its way of thinking, it is more like a town of 100,000. Leeds and Manchester think big. They've got a far bigger economy than Sheffield through being ambitious

Both are long established regional commercial centres serving metropolitan areas with a far higher population than Sheffield.

He comes on this forum to wind people up, how could you not notice ? :hihi:

It depends on what you mean by better.Other cities may have bigger economies but they will not be sustainable in the long term and I am not just referring to the recession.I use the DEFRA's definition of sustainability(Securing the future 2005).

Do towns of 100,000 have major sporting facilities, tram networks, 2 major football clubs, 2 big universities, a vast array of continental restaurants, cafe's, bars etc? No they don't.

I don't know why you go on and on about economies. Course Leeds (for example) has a bigger economy. It's the 2nd largest banking centre outside London i.e. it turns over lots of money. Duh! My company turns over a lot more money than some of our competitors but i wouldn't say they don't also produce good quality products and workmanship.

You also fail to mentioned how Sheffield is a hugely more attractive city than our northern counterparts.

Each city has their +/-'s.

You still haven't answered my question too. Struggling with that one i see.

:loopy: