WELL DONE to Sheffield City Council for stopping the St Paul's Monster

For every person who doesn't want this sort of development, you will find someone who does - I'm all for making our city look like a city by allowing for some tall buildings.

I think a more accurate figure would be that for every 10 people that don't want this development but want something better, there will be one person who's prepared to accept this (at it's best) mediocracy.

If this was out in a suburb or something then I wouldn't, but in the city centre it's fine by me. It's location is also fine - plenty far away enough from the Town Hall to not detract from it.

I'm sure you've seen my shots taken from Leopold street (which I've noticed you've copied and tried to digitally enhance the scene to make it look acceptable, failing miserably) that prove your statement totally and utterly wrong.

Now what's that saying? You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I'm sure you've seen my shots taken from Leopold street (which I've noticed you've copied and tried to digitally enhance the scene to make it look acceptable, failing miserably) that prove your statement totally and utterly wrong.

Now what's that saying? You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

You can ****** with that mate - I had never seen your shots down Leopold street till today let alone copy them, and they were 'digitally enhanced' as you put it to pull the shadow out - the point of the shot was never to paint anything in a good light or otherwise but cos I like photography. Why would I try to make a building-site look acceptable to prove an argument about a finished product?

As it stands I couldn't care less about the building either way - I have no particular axe to grind other then just backward looking whingers like you get on my nerves.

You can ****** with that mate - I had never seen your shots down Leopold street till today let alone copy them, and they were 'digitally enhanced' as you put it to pull the shadow out - the point of the shot was never to paint anything in a good light or otherwise but cos I like photography. Why would I try to make a building-site look acceptable to prove an argument about a finished product?

Fair enough. I'll take your word for that but you've gone a bit over the top on lightening the shadow area which makes the image look rather false. I've spent a considerable amount of time in the photographic industry professionally and trying to do too much with a picture digitally is a mistake that's commonly made. I hope you don't take offence.

As it stands I couldn't care less about the building either way - I have no particular axe to grind other then just backward looking whingers like you get on my nerves.

Yes it really is backward looking to want to make the urban environment the best that it can possibly be and not accept mediocrity isn't it?:loopy:

I don't care whether you believe me or not. I know. But throwing accusations like that around without any proof is going to do you no favours.

How you want to present your photos and what techniques you wish to use are up to you - likewise I'll do what I want with mine.

Tell you what - rather then whinging about what's being accepted and what's not and being the self-appointed arbiter of what people in Sheffield do and don't want. Why don't you go and design something to your tastes and get it built? Or get yourself elected and on to the central planning board and stop them building structures that you feel are mediocre?

I'm glad Manchester didn't have such blinkered people as Sheffield and this forum does. Otherwise the stunning Beetham Tower would never have been built.

Hardly stunning. You must have a low aesthetic appreciation if you think a tall, rectangular, grey tower with a bit missing at the bottom that makes it look like it's about to fall over is stunning. I bet you've never seen it close up.

As well as it looking like a pile of grey girders laid end to end vertically, close up the finish of the building is quite appalling. It makes the kit kat car park on Eyre Street look quality!:gag:

Why don't you go and design something to your tastes?

Done that and it would have put Sheffield on the map internationally in a way that can only be dreamed of at the moment.

But as usual you seem to be one of these linear thinking people who believes that because some people are against crass, cheap development then they're just whinging with nothing better to offer. There are plenty of those out there but I can assure you I'm not one of them for if my ideas had been realised people would be seeing the present developments for the cheap tat that they undoubtedly are.

Hardly stunning. You must have a low aesthetic appreciation if you think a tall, rectangular, grey tower with a bit missing at the bottom that makes it look like it's about to fall over is stunning.

Why do you think that a different opinion to yours is an inferior opinion?

It's good to see you're prepared to admit the Winter Garden is having a substantial amount of sunlight blocked by the surrounding buildings serapis.

I never disputed this.

I sure hope that you aren't (as I suspect you may be) working as a planner if you can't get your local geography right.

My bold. The tower is south east of the Winter Garden so overshadows it during the morning whereas the crass St Paul's hotel overshadows it in the afternoon. FACT!

For the last time I am nothing to do with planning of any sort! Just because I disagree with you doesn’t mean I have any vested interest in the project. My only interest is seeing a quality building go up in a city that desperately needs modernisation in order to compete, while you seem intent on keeping Sheffield back because YOU don’t like big cities.

Now back to the shadow debate. Shadows lengthen and contract over the course of a day. In summer these shadows will be short enough to only affect the buildings directly adjacent to the St Pauls tower. They will not be over the winter gardens. Only in mid winter will the shadows possibly be long enough to come close, but due to our cloudy environment in the winter months they will only rarely affect the site!

Exactly my point all along. If our winter weather is so cloudy and light levels are so small then it needs all the available light possible. A winter garden is built to provide exactly this kind of sunny almost mediteranean type atmosphere during the winter, warmed, to a large extent, by the limited amount of sun that we do get.

Already address above.

Thanks for agreeing with me serapis but your geography is slightly out again. St Paul's hotel is slightly north west of the tower.

I think you are confusing which building I am talking about. I was referring to the hotel directly behind the town hall and adjacent to the winter garden’s which is, in fact, directly north of the tower.

We all know you don’t like the tower pininsho, but some of us are getting bored with your insistent bitching and whining about it. Get used to it, get over yourself and understand that your point of view is not something others should be forced to adhere to, or have to listen to over and over again for that matter.

The tower is here, it was agreed by democratically elected representatives and whether you like it or not, it’s not going anywhere for a long, long time so you may as well try to make the best out of the situation.

Why don't you go and design something to your tastes and get it built?

Done that and it would have put Sheffield on the map internationally in a way that can only be dreamed of at the moment.

But as usual you seem to be one of these linear thinking people who believes that because some people are against crass, cheap development then they're just whinging with nothing better to offer. There are plenty of those out there but I can assure you I'm not one of them for if my ideas had been realised people would be seeing the present developments for the cheap tat that they undoubtedly are.

Lol, total delusions of grandeur. What more can I say :loopy:

My only interest is seeing a quality building go up in a city that desperately needs modernisation in order to compete, while you seem intent on keeping Sheffield back because YOU don’t like big cities.

I come from a big city that's twice the size of Sheffield, Birmingham.

What I can't understand is why you want to rush headlong into the so called success that you probably think Birmingham is just because of it's size.

To outsiders Birmingham probably looks like the glitzy, modern place that a few of you want to turn Sheffield into but I can assure you the reality is far from that.

Birmingham has record levels of child poverty, higher overall crime levels per head of population than Sheffield and serious physical and mental health problems especially amongst it's immigrant population. Is this what you wish to aspire to?

There does seem to be an insecurity amongst some of you so called progressives that leads you to think 'the other man's grass is always greener.'

I feel you should try and be a little more enlightened. A bit like Jody Mitchell when she sang, 'don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.'

I seriously do not think one building in Sheffield city is going to alter the socio-economic prospects either way. I certainly do not want to see Sheffield become a smaller version of Birmingham or Manchester - but to lay the problems of either city at some relatively minor building is naive at best. Drugs and the gun crime that goes with it goes somewhat deeper then this.

Lol, total delusions of grandeur. What more can I say :loopy:

Nay - don't ruin someone's dreams so easily - let them take their course - when the dreams come to fruition and Sheffield with this building that puts us on the international stage in 'a way that can only be dreamed of' is realised, I will be happy.

Failing that - whichever city does allow these dreams to be realised and then is on the international stage in 'a way that can only be dreamed of' - we shall kick ourselves for allowing such genius to pass our way.