WELL DONE to Sheffield City Council for stopping the St Paul's Monster

It stands out at the moment because its bright yellow, so once its complete it will be much harder to notice. The original design would have blended in a lot more too.

Not fogetting it will be lit at night.

It stands out at the moment because its bright yellow, so once its complete it will be much harder to notice. The original design would have blended in a lot more too.

I can't see the difference between the two designs in tonight's Star. I thought the idea of a sky scraper was that it should stand out.

I can't see the difference between the two designs in tonight's Star. I thought the idea of a sky scraper was that it should stand out.

I think it will at 100m!!

If it's not going to stand out - what are you complaining about it for?

I think the modern and old will compliment each other perfectly.

No you don't. Modern and old very rarely 'compliment each other perfectly!' You may say that you actually like this 'juxtaposition' of modern and old (I would doubt your honesty if you were to say this as well) but when buildings are out of scale with each other and clash then it has exactly the same effect on the human mind as listening to a song out of tune.

You see this kind of thing in lots of cities.

And that's one of the main problems. Let's just sit back and watch Sheffield turn into a poor copy of every other clone city.

Just my opinion of course but i'll base my final opinions on the finished article.

Looking at the small number of regulars on the skyscraper forum, thank goodness your views are very much in the minority.

For every person who doesn't want this sort of development, you will find someone who does - I'm all for making our city look like a city by allowing for some tall buildings. If this was out in a suburb or something then I wouldn't, but in the city centre it's fine by me. It's location is also fine - plenty far away enough from the Town Hall to not detract from it.

I'm glad Manchester didn't have such blinkered people as Sheffield and this forum does. Otherwise the stunning Beetham Tower would never have been built.

It's not the Victorian era any more.

I'm glad Manchester didn't have such blinkered people as Sheffield and this forum does. Otherwise the stunning Beetham Tower would never have been built.

It's not the Victorian era any more.

Totally agree - I wonder if the people complaining about modern-architecture making Sheffield look like 'every' other city would use the same argument for Sheffield having a similar looking Victorian town-hall / civic building to 'every' other city?

Maybe it's just Manchester but the mix of old and new buildings is very refreshing. It reminds you you're in the 21st century without losing the links to the past.

People will always want to stop progress - bloody looms.

For most of the year the sun will pass right over the tower and you would need to be much closer for the sunlight to be block, an area already blocked by the hotels and other buildings around the winter gardens.

It's good to see you're prepared to admit the Winter Garden is having a substantial amount of sunlight blocked by the surrounding buildings serapis.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The tower is south east of the winter gardens and only ever effected for a short period of time each year. The time when the towers shadow would pass over the winter gardens is late in the evening when they are already overshadowed by the current surrounding offices, and hotels.

I sure hope that you aren't (as I suspect you may be) working as a planner if you can't get your local geography right.

My bold. The tower is south east of the Winter Garden so overshadows it during the morning whereas the crass St Paul's hotel overshadows it in the afternoon. FACT!

Maybe in mid winter the shadow could lengthen and pass a shadow more directly over the site but due to our weather in winter this shadow is almost non existent.

Exactly my point all along. If our winter weather is so cloudy and light levels are so small then it needs all the available light possible. A winter garden is built to provide exactly this kind of sunny almost mediteranean type atmosphere during the winter, warmed, to a large extent, by the limited amount of sun that we do get.

So to complain that on occasion when its sunny in the mid winter a shadow may pass over the winter gardens for no more than a hour or two of an evening is pretty petty.

I've already addressed this point above.

All I would add is that to most people it's totally illogical to build an indoor garden entirely of glass to house mainly meditteranean plants which need all the light that they can get to look their best and then completely surround the garden with overdeveloped and totally inappropriate buildings.:loopy:

The only area to have any considerable effect is the roof of the Hotel situated directly north of the tower.

Thanks for agreeing with me serapis but your geography is slightly out again. St Paul's hotel is slightly north west of the tower.

I sure hope that you aren't (as I suspect you may be) working as a planner if you can't get your local geography right.

My bold. The tower is south east of the Winter Garden so overshadows it during the morning whereas the crass St Paul's hotel overshadows it in the afternoon. FACT!

Looking at google earth - which is somewhat out of date still showing the wedding-cake - the tower would seem to me to be directly south as near as makes no difference. South-east is the Novotel.

Looking at google earth - which is somewhat out of date still showing the wedding-cake - the tower would seem to me to be directly south as near as makes no difference. South-east is the Novotel.

Which ties in well with the photo in my signature below. I took it sometime around dinner time and of course in winter this is when the sun is at it's peak and precisely when you don't want it overshadowing a garden of mediteranean plants. Stupidity beyond belief!