WELL DONE to Sheffield City Council for stopping the St Paul's Monster

No you don't. Modern and old very rarely 'compliment each other perfectly!' You may say that you actually like this 'juxtaposition' of modern and old (I would doubt your honesty if you were to say this as well) but when buildings are out of scale with each other and clash then it has exactly the same effect on the human mind as listening to a song out of tune.

I've just skimmed through your other drivel but the above comment of "No you don't" takes the biscuit.

You now have the ability to decide others opinions, which has to make you the most arrogant person on this forum.

Done that and it would have put Sheffield on the map internationally in a way that can only be dreamed of at the moment.

But as usual you seem to be one of these linear thinking people who believes that because some people are against crass, cheap development then they're just whinging with nothing better to offer. There are plenty of those out there but I can assure you I'm not one of them for if my ideas had been realised people would be seeing the present developments for the cheap tat that they undoubtedly are.

YOU have designed a building? PMSL!

Where was it built?

Do you have pics?

Sorry, but this had made my day :hihi:

I come from a big city that's twice the size of Sheffield, Birmingham.

What I can't understand is why you want to rush headlong into the so called success that you probably think Birmingham is just because of it's size.

To outsiders Birmingham probably looks like the glitzy, modern place that a few of you want to turn Sheffield into but I can assure you the reality is far from that.

Birmingham has record levels of child poverty, higher overall crime levels per head of population than Sheffield and serious physical and mental health problems especially amongst it's immigrant population. Is this what you wish to aspire to?

There does seem to be an insecurity amongst some of you so called progressives that leads you to think 'the other man's grass is always greener.'

I feel you should try and be a little more enlightened. A bit like Jody Mitchell when she sang, 'don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.'

To be honest I have never set foot in Birmingham and may never have the need too. I'm not advocating Sheffield becoming a Manhattan island, to the contrary, I love Sheffield’s old buildings and architecture and only wish there where more buildings of this quality.

But when there is a brown-field site available in or around the city centre, then what is the problem with devoting a nice modern building? Building low-rise pseudo-Victorian or similar buildings to appease a vocal but in effect, tiny minority only perpetrates higher business rents, decreases the cities possible business space and helps maintain higher house prices in the city as a whole.

As I have said before, our city is in a difficult situation. We are not blessed with large quantities of land to build on, on our exterior, we are flanked by Rotherham and the Peak district. We can fill in the gaps in our suburbs, build up in the outer parts of the city or move up in the city centre.

Most businesses want to be in the city centre, and good office space in the centre brings them in from the outer areas. I work for one such company that was based in a suburb of Sheffield. We are now based in the centre and the old office was earmarked to become a residential development.

Those who virulently oppose the St Pauls tower offer no alternative, no solution to their gripes, they just want Sheffield to stay in some personal idyllic state and whoa betide anyone who tries to change it one iota. They don’t live in the real world.

No you don't. Modern and old very rarely 'compliment each other perfectly!' You may say that you actually like this 'juxtaposition' of modern and old (I would doubt your honesty if you were to say this as well) but when buildings are out of scale with each other and clash then it has exactly the same effect on the human mind as listening to a song out of tune. .

Modern and old architecture can compliment each other. St Pancras train station in London is a shining example of old and new architecture working perfectly together: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_02/StPancras_800x643.jpg

Here is another example: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6VeBWY6F6c4/SFXJ46_U5_I/AAAAAAAABlk/lLif7uKCaU8/IMG_8733.JPG

I bet you've never seen it close up.

If you knew anything about me you'd know I've spent a lot of time around, in and on the roof of that building - and several others in the city.

Modern and old architecture can compliment each other. St Pancras train station in London is a shining example of old and new architecture working perfectly together: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_02/StPancras_800x643.jpg

I'm still a bit unsure about St Pancras, it is good but I think it's lost some of it's "Golden Age of train travel" feel, the Victorian-ness seems to have been lost.

On the topic of old & new together, there is this in Torronto, a very nice mix : http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fi-wb_s2FKw/RmLHiQucOQI/AAAAAAAAAOg/ZyQIhxni3WU/07+02+02-015.JPG

A winter garden is built to provide exactly this kind of sunny almost mediteranean type atmosphere during the winter, warmed, to a large extent, by the limited amount of sun that we do get.

A temperate greenhouse is not supposed to be "mediteranean".

Done that and it would have put Sheffield on the map internationally in a way that can only be dreamed of at the moment.

Lets see this masterpice then.

Link not working nick2 :confused:

It works ok for me, google for "BCE Place, Toronto"

All I would add is that to most people it's totally illogical to build an indoor garden entirely of glass to house mainly meditteranean plants which need all the light that they can get to look their best and then completely surround the garden with overdeveloped and totally inappropriate buildings.:loopy:

Of course its illogical. Everything should be done to protect this posh greenhouse and its collection of Yukka's and Palm trees. This is what makes Sheffield great.

I suppose natural light can be replaced by special lightbulbs if need be

I'm still a bit unsure about St Pancras, it is good but I think it's lost some of it's "Golden Age of train travel" feel, the Victorian-ness seems to have been lost.

On the topic of old & new together, there is this in Torronto, a very nice mix : http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fi-wb_s2FKw/RmLHiQucOQI/AAAAAAAAAOg/ZyQIhxni3WU/07+02+02-015.JPG

OOOh, very nice pick nick2. Another example of modern and old working well together.