WELL DONE to Sheffield City Council for stopping the St Paul's Monster

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=478951&page=186

It's been reported that they met today and rejected changes to the cladding on the St Paul's Tower - I am glad the council are sticking to their principles on this one, even if the tower if delayed. The last thing we need is a brown cheap monstrosity overshadowing the otherwise well-designed 'Heart of the City'.

We've already got a brown cheap monstrosity just down the road on Eyre Street, that car park endearingly nicknamed "The Turd".

Good to see the council are holding out for quality. It's the banks who underwrote the property who are in control of the building now since Citylofts went bankrupt and they're probably trying to skimp on finishing the building.

Splendid news! Damn glad to see SCC stuck their guns and weren't blackmailed into allowing a vastly inferior finish. :banana::banana::banana:

I don't know anything about this St pauls Tower. However that has never stopped me having something to say.

This project may well have had a detrimental effect on the heart of the city, that could be because evrything in Sheffield city centre (like most UK cities) is compressed into such a small area.

If our planners had more vision like those who built New York we could have a better city with a lot more going for it.

I know this is not going to happen, but think about the future... the city could be managed better with high rise buildings to show the world, wider avenues for better traffic flow. The city centre would be far bigger and take in most of what is now the close suburbs with many more focal points of interest.

I know that Sheffield has always been called Britains biggest village, but times change.

Absolutely brilliant news!:thumbsup:

Let's just hope it goes the same way as the Tinsley cooling towers but in a much shorter period of time!

Very well done to the councillors concerned for sticking to their guns!:clap:

Well done Sheffield City Council,

very sensible decision indeed.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Why dont they go for the new Jurys hotel too - have you seen the cheap boxy looking cladding or lack of it to the outside of that one?

Both are symptomatic of cheap make money quick scams on the Sheffield property market at its height before it took a nose dive !

The new Fire Station on Eyre Street is an example of a decent new building. I like it's retro touches.

I like the old fire station too and the one before that on Division Street which is now Bungalows and Bears.

City lofts should be scrapped.

Sheffield thrives on its open centre.

Towers to the N,E,S,W would be better as markers.

Four 100 storeys, or a group of large overly fancy buildings for each hilltop.

We want a great city, not a pathetic metropolitan cesspit.

First good decision Council's made in years. Now continue with this second wind and get the same done to the other similar builds and we can get our city back.

Sheffield thrives on its open centre.

I'm not sure "thrives" is the right word, have you been in town lately ?

More boarded-up shops than open.