The interminable God does/doesn't exist megathread - part 2

I seem to recall a study that showed that people with faith respond to placebos better, and recover from illnesses slightly but statistically quicker than those without.

So it's not actually as a result of the church at all then. It's the choices of the people who attend church. A completely different topic.

The life expectancy in Afghanistan isn't too old, they have religion.

D6..Try this concept.

I personally am an evolutionist. Part of that evolution consists of religion. Religion is the buffer man has created to survive. Religion is a means to either bring peoples together or not as the case may be. Without religion you or I probably wouldn't be sitting typing.

The plus side of religion is it does more good than bad...you should know that...being the Devil.

It is such a terrible waste of time.

Regardless of whether or not you believe in the values of any religion/pastime/occupation/activity, you cannot assume to know whether or not time spent by others engaging in said activity is a waste of their time.

You do not know what intrinsic or extrinsic value they gain from it, and cannot pass judgement.

Regardless of whether or not you believe in the values of any religion/pastime/occupation/activity, you cannot assume to know whether or not time spent by others engaging in said activity is a waste of their time.

You do not know what intrinsic or extrinsic value they gain from it, and cannot pass judgement.

Beautifully put - a very astute observation,

Zigzacktamundo.

"The plus side of religion is it does more good than bad...you should know that...being the Devil"

-------------------------

What good does religion offer? that was my original post, and as yet i have not received a single answer that wouldn't survive whether we had a god concept or not. Not one.

If someone watches paint dry on a regular basis, you would assume it to be a waste of time.

The fact is, if we were not manipulated into believing something that in all probability doesn't exist, and instead listened to reason, facts and evidence that have been available for years, we would likely be a much further evolved species. Aristotle had a theory of life after seeing subtle variances on shells along a stretch of a beech, to suit there habitats. It was nearly 2000 years before anyone even dare to suggest the evolution theory, in fear of been hung, drawn and quartered. The dark ages of religion stopped knowledge and science in it's tracks for years and infact continue to do so.*

Alien-i agree with what you say, at some point in time religion probably did serve a purpose in the survival of SOME humans but not all, and there is no evidence to suggest we would not survive without it, on the contrary actually.

*embryo research is the key to closing in on cures for horrific diseases such as parkinson's, and my uncles condition M.S, but the American church nut jobs reject the reasearch on clumps of cells, claiming that it's a life!!

They go as far as to KILL research scientists, acting in the name of god. Ironic really when you consider he had a wife, kids and a whole load of dependents. Killed for researching embryos!!! it's shocking.

So for all the church goers enjoying their long[er] life, just put a thought aside for the people who will die a slow agonising death because religious figureheads say it's wrong to research clumps of cells, and it's that arrogance and complete disregard that infuriates me.

"You do not know what intrinsic or extrinsic value they gain from it, and cannot pass judgement. "

I know the effects it has on me, my family and therfore i believe i am still entitled to my opinion. I know it's a relatively dangeorus passtime, having an opinion that argues with old story books, and i'm sure people have died for less. So yes, i have every right thank you very much!!

So i apologise for been pragmatic about life.

Religion is the cause of most wars, therefore it is by definition, the root of all evil!

People are the cause of most of the bad things mentioned by the anti-religious fanatics...

People do bad things, religion is only an excuse... like money. Or national identity. Or all sorts of things. Just coz you don't like it, there's no need to get all excited.

And calling an idea* 'rubbish' when there's a great deal of good research to support it isn't?

*that churchgoers live longer

Church goers may live longer (More than likely thanks to abstinence from alcohol and its ilk) i would still agree with The late great Carl Sagan on this one...

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

-Carl Sagan

Also.... yay another religion thread.... :rolleyes: