India v England cricket megathread

http://www.humsurfer.com/india-vs-england-200809-cricket-series-starts-on-14-november

England will play 2 Tests followed by 7 ODI’s during the Indian tour starting November 09, 2008.The senior selection committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) will meet in Nagpur on November five to select the One-Day team for the seven-match series against England starting at Rajkot on November 14. “The selectors will meet at Hotel Pride in Nagpur to pick the 14-member team for the One-Day series against England on November five,” BCCI secretary N. Srinivasan said on Monday.

England will arrive in Mumbai on Thursday and will play practice matches against a team from Mumbai on November 9 and 11. The first one-day international starts in Rajkot on November 14, while the two-Test series begins in Ahmedabad on December 11. Fifth-ranked England beat South Africa 4-0 at home in the one-day international series in September, but its players suffered a setback to morale with a thumping defeat in a Twenty20 exhibition against the Stanford Superstars in Antigua on Saturday. The team of West Indian players collected US$1 million each for the victory while England went home empty-handed.

India ODI team : Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ishant Sharma, Pragyan Ojha, Rudra Pratap Singh, Virat Kohli, Murali Vijay.

England ODI team : Kevin Pietersen (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Steve Harmison, Samit Patel, Matt Prior, Owais Shah, Ryan Sidebottom, Graeme Swann, Luke Wright.

Schedule :

Fri 14, Nov 2008: India v England, First ODI at Rajkot.

Mon 17, Nov 2008: India v England, Second ODI at Indore.

Thu 20, Nov 2008: India v England, Third ODI at Kanpur.

Sun 23, Nov 2008: India v England, Fourth ODI at Jamshedpur.

Wed 26, Nov 2008: India v England, Fifth ODI at Cuttack.

Sat 29, Nov 2008: India v England, Sixth ODI at Guwahati.

Tue 02, Dec 2008: India v England, Seventh ODI at Delhi.

Thu 11 - Mon 15, Dec 2008: India v England, First Test at Ahmedabad.

Fri 19 - Tue 23, Dec 2008: India v England, Second Test at Mumbai.

One-day warm-up match, Mumbai (Brabourne Stadium):

Mumbai President's XI 222-7 (50 overs) v England 34-6 grrrr :mad:

One-day warm-up match, Mumbai (Brabourne Stadium):

Mumbai President's XI 222-7 (50 overs) v England 34-6 grrrr :mad:

Well there's an interesting stat, then. From our total of 98, the last wicket partnership put on exactly the same amount as the first six combined.

The remainder of this tour is now in some doubt, following the incidents discussed here. Of course, at a time like this, getting a sporting tour finished is the last thing on anybody's mind.

The next two one-day matches have definitely been called off, but whether they'll be rescheduled is not clear, nor is it certain if the Tests will take place.

Last two ODIs postponed.

Good result for England then: a five nil thrashing sounds slightly better than a seven nil drubbing.

Sadly, we can look forward to getting pasted in the Test Matches.

Mumbai attacks, which carried on from Wednesday night till this report was being written, brought India down on its knees and left the world cricket reeling with its biggest ever crisis

Dominic Cork seems to think that the two Tests won't go ahead, going by the interview he did on Murdoch TV.

Hi Friend !

I think England will come back for playing two test match in India because BCCI have change the place for playing these test match

Hi Friend !

I think England will come back for playing two test match in India because BCCI have change the place for playing these test match

I suspect, given a week or two for nerves to calm down, that you'll be right; or at least that most of the players will agree to go. Asking them that question while hostages were still being held and shots were still going off was always a bit daft ("Like hell I'm coming back here!")

I'd like to think that they'd go back, just for cricketing reasons, as with the Ashes looming large, we need as many Tests under our belt as possible. I can't think of much more of a sterner test than India away either.

It's a crying shame that there are only two Tests against India, as they will provide the right sort of opposition with the Ashes looming. That said, I'm sure we're all glad that the Tests are happening, and have not been postponed, or cancelled.

It will be interesting to see how KP fares here as captain, after the abject performances in the one-dayers.

Shah I think had to make way for Swann given the sort of wicket we'll be facing, and especially after you look at what Harbhajan and Mishra did against the Convicts. I'm also looking forward to seeing Ishant Sharma play, as big words have been coming from India for some time about him.

Our top order are really going to have to get going, as I don't see anything past Prior in the batting (he did have a decent average in the County Championship last year) in particular. The weather looks like being a big factor here, but hopefully we'll see some decent cricket.

That said, the odds compilers must know something, as I've just checked the odds, and the draw is 11/10. Now unless they're expecting a huge England collapse, given that the weather may well affect the Test, that looks a massive price! and I'm not one to bet at shorter than 9/4 usually!

As an aside, I'm rather distracted by the fact that the outfield (and half of the infield) looks like a test card in this NZ v Windies Test.