MPs want Happy Hour ban

I don't think many binge drinkers who get aled up and have feight of a Saturday night are doing so on real ale though, do you?

No, it'll be Stellas and White Lightning... Chav scum tipples.

And no, I don't.

You're a cheap date ;)

Um, no... I'm just a sensible drinker who only buys the cheap stuff... There's a difference :rolleyes:

Although there is the fact that under normal circumstances, I refuse on principle to pay more than £2.50 a Pint at even Town prices, I also refuse to pay more than £1.60 for J20s.

I don't think many binge drinkers who get aled up and have feight of a Saturday night are doing so on real ale though, do you?

Which proves my point exactly; this one-size-fits-all legislation penalises not just the yobs and the alcoholics, but also those who drink sensibly and maturely. Why should I be forced to pay £2 for a bottle of decent ale when my local supermarket has a 4 for a fiver offer on?

Which proves my point exactly; this one-size-fits-all legislation penalises not just the yobs and the alcoholics, but also those who drink sensibly and maturely. Why should I be forced to pay £2 for a bottle of decent ale when my local supermarket has a 4 for a fiver offer on?

But we ALL pay for the yobs and alcoholics - even those who don't drink at all - through the tax that pays for the police and health service to deal with the after effects.

And supermarkets may have ridiculously cheap deals on booze, but don't think for one minute they don't make up the lost revenue elsewhere, on other products.

Another one-size-fits-all piece of discrimination from our meddling, interfering, mothering government.

Honestly, it's like the class being giving detention for the actions of one pillock. The vast majority of us drinkers go about their business with decency and without causing harm or upsetting Joe Public.

The answer with this government is always to ban it. They stopped us smoking (not me personally, I'm a non-smoker), they're stopping us eating what we like and now they're going to stop us enjoying a pint or nine.

Why not address the real issues? Lack of decent policing alongside limp-wristed judges whose 'sentences' pander to the criminal's / wrong-doer's 'rights' over those of the victim.

Personally, whenever we're told 'enjoy alcohol resonsibly' like a ten year old trying a glass of wine at Christmas dinner, it makes me want to do the opposite, down a bottle of Gordon's, a few pints and vomit it up against Westminster's walls.

My Bold.

That will always be a problem, until the stupid Human rights Brigade either gets a clue, or decides to do the right thing and shut up completely..

As it stands, the law breakers are laughing at the law makers and upholders, ie the Cops, especially young thugs, cos the youngsters know that because they're under a certain age, the law can't touch them.

But I digress, I'm going on an off topic rant there, so I'll stop now.

from what ive seen on pm,s question time they ought to put their own house in order

Drink related incidents cost the country a fortune - and it isn't just policing, it is also medical care.

Would those against the plan rather pay for it out of general taxation, or higher taxes on alcohol so that those buying the most contributed most to the associated costs?

It may be that alcohol doesn't actually cost the country money overall. Last month there was this article on the costs of smoking: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7654153.stm

The anti-smoking group ASH said that treating smokers costs the NHS £2.7bn per year, only for the smokers' rights group FOREST to counter that the annual tax revenue from smoking is £9bn. The government is therefore making a profit from smokers.

I'm not sure what the figures are, but it shouldn't automatically be assumed that the combined annual health and policing costs related to alcohol are less than the annual alcohol tax revenue. The government may be making a profit from drinkers as it is from smokers.

people who drink and smoke pay more into the country than a smoke free tea total person does

people who drink and smoke pay more into the country than a smoke free tea total person does

and take more out.