Picnics in Sheffield

bradfield is nice. there's ducks there too which are nice if you've kids.

If you have a car then go into Derbyshire; toads mouth near fox house; lovely stream for the kids. I think there is a bus there too.

Get the train to Edale and walk north to grindsbrook. Lovely stream for the kids. There a cafe and pub grub.

Catch the tram to halfway and get off at White Lane, walk to Ford via Ridgeway. And if you like walking, walk from Ford downstream to the church at Eckington then along the road to the Halfway tram terminus.

Originally posted by Kristian

I've never been on a picnic, but as a teenager, I whiled away many a Tuesday afternoon with my friend Susan drinking cider in the Peace Gardens.

Oh, the nostalgia!

K x

oh kristian,the cider wasnt in a brown paperwas it bag:clap: :clap:

Originally posted by roughy101

oh kristian,the cider wasnt in a brown paperwas it bag:clap: :clap:

No Hon, I never got that bad! Still, it's worth considering in the future! :D

K x

I havent been for years, but I remember having great picnics at a place called Wyming brook (might not be right spelling!)

It is in Lodge moor near the resevoir, you can sit on huge boulders and look at one of the resevoirs below and get eaten alive by midges! enjoy

My back garden. Its sounds strange, I know, but it saves me driving and means I can have a drink. My back garden is very nice in the summer and only a stonesthrow away from the bar (me fridge).

Sorry, just a brief interjectory of humour.

Seriously, I agree, Wyming Brook is a fab spot for sun scorched picnics.

Additionally, Chatsworth House Gardens (about 30 mins away)are perfect!!! (and they have a stream that you can dip your feet into, if your into that sort of thing).

Originally posted by tots

bradfield is nice. there's ducks there too which are nice if you've kids.

Just found your post via a search. We happened to go to Lower Bradfield this weekend (having stuck a pin in the map) and it was really nice - people playing bowls, kids playing in the freshly cut grass, ice-cream vans and of course the water and ducks. We even saw two policeman pull over on official police business to buy an ice cream :P

Recommend it as a good place to go for a few hours - i.e. a picnic, although I imagine it can get pretty busy once summer starts properly (as opposed to this snow/sun thing we have now!).

Wyming brook.

WE went there as kids when it was bilberry picking time; my wife and still go there for billberries.

Make sure you wear insect pepellant (DEET).

If you continue along Redmires road you come to the reservoir and a long straight footpath uphill to stanage pole. The path is a Roman road which goes over stanage edge, a long stretch of cliffs where there are lots of climbers hanging on with their fingertips.

Norfolk Heritage Park. Great playground for the kids. Centre in the Park. Fantastic views of the city. Plenty of space and green grass for picnic, ball games, frisbee, etc.. Well kept park. Circular walk. Not far to travel - and within the city!

Originally posted by redrobbo

Norfolk Heritage Park. Great playground for the kids. Centre in the Park. Fantastic views of the city. Plenty of space and green grass for picnic, ball games, frisbee, etc.. Well kept park. Circular walk. Not far to travel - and within the city!

I love this park too. Pick your picnic spot in the middle of some open space though. Some of the wildlife doesn't make welcome dining partners :suspect:

Originally posted by kathythebean

As soon as the weather starts to get a bit less bitter, I start thinking about picnics. I love picnics so much, they are great.

Where is your favourite place for a picnic in sheffield, what food do you like to take on picnics, and who would be with your on your 'dream picnic'?

After buying a bag of muffins and filled a flask, a day in Castleton, Edale, Monsaldale, Stoney Middleton, Buxton or Matlock takes some beating.

That old primus stove will come in handy, togather with a battered old frying pan. Bacon butties just taste so much better in Derbyshire.

I know it's not Sheffield but most prefer to get away from it.

Prince William always comes with me but I refuse to sell my story.