Controlled crying

Well done. You are proof it works. 'If' I ever have another I may have to try it.:):thumbsup:

I have looked up this thread as I need to distract from the most horrendous night. Have been trying this for over an hour now & its not working at all. I feel like my head is going to explode.

Babybell is 2 & has always been a good sleeper, she generally goes to bed fine about 7ish. For about a week or two she has ended up in our bed every night & is now refusing to go to her own bed. I had to make a stand tonight as none of us are getting any sleep. Like a fool I put her down once but let her come back out after she cried (about 8ish). I waited until she had almost dropped off then put her down again. What a mistake. She has been stood up in the cot screaming mummy or mummies bed at full volume ever since. I keep going in but she hasn't even laid down so far - she is just stood up screaming waiting to be picked up.

Actually since starting the post it seems to have finally gone quiet. Fingers crossed. Its now 10pm - I brought her up for a story over 3 hours ago.

Basically I want to know does this work? I feel like the worse mum in the world at the moment. I can't think of any other way to break the cycle of her preferring to sleep in our bed.

It is the only thing that has worked with my little one. She did scream her head off for ages but now she's a great sleeper (touch wood), she wakes up happy and is happier all day and I am too. I also found that going in a lot would make her cry more. Basically I had to leave her to it. I felt awful too but she's forgiven me!!

Our 11 month old has started having bedtime tantrums. She is A-OK until I place her in her cot and then all hell breaks loose. The first night I thought she must be ill, as it was out of character, but soon realised she was just trying it on, as everytime I went in and picked her up she immediately stopped crying (and I'm sure looked a bit smug aswell)! It took 2 hours to settle her.

So night two, we let her scream the house down for 45 minutes and then she settled.

I don't even go in to check her - we have a baby monitor to make sure she isn't being sick or anything. I wait until she is fast on and then go in and put blankets on.

After putting her down for her afternoon nap today , I had 5 minutes of screaming before sleep... wondering what we'll get tonight!

i did this when Amber was tiny, and it worked wonderfully.....she was sleeping through and settling herself.....now at two its all change again.....she moved into her bed....and now she refuses to stay in there :0(

hi i did this with dd about 3 mths ago, she was approx 18mths, and we did, the leave for 5 mins, then 6 then 7 etc, something was probably going to snap. she was up feeding all night, i coudlnt move her because then shed wake up and start bellowing, and i was starting to get stroppy with her as i was so exhausted and in the end i gave this a go, 3 nites later, she started sleeping through the night, couldnt believe it and wished i had done it sooo much sooner, i do leave a nite light on, and sometimes she wakes me up in the nite via intercom singing herself back to sleep which i sooo cute

cosywolf - if you dont mind me asking, how old is your lad seeing ghosts/shadows etc. Sounds wild but i vividly remember going through all this when i was about 2/3, and it really is distressing, my mum made things easier by pretending to sprinkle magic dust around my bed in a big circle so the ghosts couldnt get me as i was safe in my circle, putting up dream catchers to catch any nasties and using lavender oil in a burner to help me sleep (and because nasties wouldn't like the smell). I really felt these guys grab my legs, heard them shout at me - i remember my mum coming in and asking me who i was shouting at one night!! I really feel for him, try these out, they might help, they might not of course, but its worth a try....

sorry found his age - these ideas should work for his age group - my eldest went through night terrors and we tried all these to help him sleep, we also bought a visualisation cd - god i sound a right hippy dont i - about superheros and they saw themselves overcoming all this stuff which could stress them out and affect their sleep, which worked really well from the health food shop in crookes i think its is - recommended to us by ryegate childrens centre - my boys love this, and still play it now, at 10 & 5 if they are having trouble falling asleep.