California bans same-sex marriage - ban overturned

We know as well as we need to, but not as well as we'd like to.

I know that and you know that.

Knocking white, middle class America is a hobby of various people on this forum and they used code words like "right-wing" and "nut jobs". We all know full well they are referring to the "George Bush" caricature if you want, so using the above phrases as well as singling out Christians made it pretty obvious...

barny_100, just to be clear since I started this thread and used the words "right-wing Christian nut jobs" in the OP, I wasn't referring to white people, middle-class people, Christians or even George Bush. what I was quite specifically referring to was "right-wing Christian nut jobs".

people that think that one line in Leviticus 18:22 is more relevant than all the other lines in Leviticus and Deuteronomy precisely because it fuels their own bigotry.

people that believe punishing peaceful men and women for their private pleasure is perfectly reasonable.

people, some of them in their fancy pants, that believe $75m is worthwhile spending on a campaign to make a victimised minority more unhappy.

Are these people serious, they actually think they have the power to stop you from marrying the person you love, just because it's what they believe!

I believe that everything they believe is a load of crap but i don't going round trying to stop them, this world just get's worse.

:rant:

This might be controversial in this politically correct world we live in but Marriage was invented as a union between a Man and a Woman, not a Man and a Man, a Man and a Dog or anything else for that matter! I suppose they should be afforded some sort of civil partnership though.....

but a marriage is a religious ceremony

No it's not. A church wedding is religious but if you have a civil marriage ceremony carried out in a registry office, hotel or (in the case of two lovely friends of mine) the stage of the Crucible any mention of the Big G and his kid is strictly verboten.

This might be controversial in this politically correct world we live in but Marriage was invented as a union between a Man and a Woman, not a Man and a Man, a Man and a Dog or anything else for that matter! I suppose they should be afforded some sort of civil partnership though.....

Are you really comparing two people of the same sex getting married to a human getting married to an animal?

surely it was invented as a union between a Man and some Women, some of them quite young.

are you sure you want to live in the past like this?

Christian fundamentalist nut jobs - I'm sorry - but that's all they are - bloody religious homophobic bigots!:rant:

I once had a "discussion" with a friend of mine's dad - he's a christian fundamentalist - he thinks that makes him sound committed - I personally think it makes him sound like he needs committing.:loopy:

He considers......Muslims, Homosexuals, Rapists and Paedophiles all to be equal in sin. :loopy:

I hate religion - I hate religion even more when it's fundamental religion and when these morons get involved in policy making - oh HELL NO! :o

Live and let live.....I'm hetro but who am I to judge another human being? Who the hell is anyone to say "you can/can't get married if you're the same sex".

Whilst America has shown immense progress in electing Obama - it's also shown its achillies heel by the fact that state legislators can get away with crap like this.

Rant over :)

Mick x

Pot, Black, Hypocrite, Kettle, some of the words floating about when I read your post. Must not ban gay marriage but all religious people must be unstable, lets ban religion, yay! :loopy: and notice you still felt the need to just clarify your heterosexuality!

This might be controversial in this politically correct world we live in

Here we go...:rolleyes:

but Marriage was invented as a union between a Man and a Woman, not a Man and a Man, a Man and a Dog or anything else for that matter!

PTFE (AKA Teflon) was developed to help space travel but it doesn't mean that it and other human inventions can't be reapplied to other purposes. The people who invented marriage are long dead so lets not live in their past.

I suppose they should be afforded some sort of civil partnership though.....

Very magnanimous of you! You're common (as in mean) and therefore get to decide what minorities may have? I don't think so. Human rights are for all.

Are you really comparing two people of the same sex getting married to a human getting married to an animal?

Well it's the next level up in terms of something I find frankly unorthodox (i.e. men with men!) I'm not against Gays being Gays (though it baffles me) - their choice, but it should not be seen as the normal default setup if you like.

Here we go...:rolleyes:

PTFE (AKA Teflon) was developed to help space travel but it doesn't mean that it and other human inventions can't be reapplied to other purposes. The people who invented marriage are long dead so lets not live in their past.

Very magnanimous of you! You're common (as in mean) and therefore get to decide what minorities may have? I don't think so. Human rights are for all.

Oh yeah - Human Rights argument - the ones that lets Terrorist sympathisers and hate preachers get away with murder....

Well it's the next level up in terms of something I find frankly unorthodox (i.e. men with men!) I'm not against Gays being Gays (though it baffles me) - their choice, but it should not be seen as the normal default setup if you like.

Choose a part of you that is determined in a large part biologically, and that differs from the population average. Hair colour, nose length, memory capacity, belly button ininess or outiness, intelligence.

Now assume that the averages, who aren't deviant like you, treat you like an outcast, restrict your rights in all sorts of other areas such as financial, educational, political. Further, imagine that this society you found yourself only part integrated within, had the arrogant audacity to say that they didn't mind your big nosed/intelligent/redheaded/forgetful ways provided it was behind closed doors and didn't get too uppity.

Homosexuality is normal, generally* not a choice. It doesn't have to baffle you. It's not really hard to understand.

*Although this does happen, that's not the main reason people find themselves gay.

Oh yeah - Human Rights argument - the ones that lets Terrorist sympathisers and hate preachers get away with murder....

:loopy: Eh? :loopy: No; the human rights argument that suggests that we are all allowed human rights. :rolleyes:

That made you look stupid, MrNM