People who are Quitting Smoking...

Its early November and I decided to quit smoking after smoking sinced 15...I am now 21.

I am looking for other people who want to quit who can support each other through the cravings, mood swings and even maybe meet up (bit like NHS but without the lectures).

My reason for quitting is easy: I want to be able to grow up, have kids and watch them grow and have kids...

So who else is willing to try and give up smoking with me??? I am currently only on 48hours and already I am feeling a lot better...

Quit Smoking Timeline:

What happens after you quit smoking?

20 MINUTES ———————————————

• Blood pressure drops to normal

• Pulse rate drops to normal

• Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal

8 HOURS ————————————————————

• Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal

• Oxygen level in blood increases to normal

24 HOURS ———————————————————

• Chance of heart attack decreases

48 HOURS ———————————————————

• Nerve endings start regrowing

• Ability to smell and taste is enhanced

2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS ————————————

• Circulation improves

• Walking becomes easier

• Lung function increases up to 30 percent

1 TO 9 MONTHS ————————————————

• Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease

• Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection

• Body's overall energy increases

1 YEAR ————————————————————

• Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker

5 YEARS ———————————————————

• Lung cancer death rate for an average former smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half

• Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker five to 15 years after quitting

• Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker's

10 YEARS ————————————————————

• Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a non-smoker

• Precancerous cells are replaced

• Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, cervix, and pancreas decreases

15 YEARS ———————————————————

• Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker

I am also attending the gym again who are extremely supportive of people who want to quit smoking... This also helps as it gives you a different type of 'rush' and can improve circulation quicker...

So get in touch and lets all quit together!!!:hihi:

i have tried a few times and heres the real Quit Smoking Timeline:

• Blood pressure drops to normal, you look at the clock

• Pulse rate hightens

• Body temperature of hands and feet increases to a sweat

• Oxygen level in blood increases to normal you cant breath normal air and feel like your dying

• Chance of heart attack decreases but the chance of abh increases

• Ability to smell and taste is enhanced your now hungry, hungrier than youve ever been in your life.

• Walking becomes easier to the fridge

• Lung function increases up to 30 percent waist size increases by 50 %

• Body's overall energy increases you have more fat to burn

stressful situation cause you to reach for the ciggies, grab a bun instead!!

• Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker but excess risk of blocked arteries increase because of the snacking

risk of obesity doubles to that of a smoker

10 years------------------------------------------

you still crave smoking tho it wont bother you as much any more.

i still intend to give up very soon again. good on you for joining the gym to. hope it goes well for you.

You forgot -

• Catch every germ and bug going, never poorlier since before you started smoking.

• Develop chronic bronchitis or, worse, asthma.

i really want to stop and i am now on my last packet.

i have made up my mind and i just dont enjoy it anymore i feel ill all time coughing and nearly being sick when smoking its just horrible.

i am going to give it a go anyhow ive stopped before for 5 years then started again :(

good on you 48 hours is great keep it up :D

i have tried a few times and heres the real Quit Smoking Timeline:

• Blood pressure drops to normal, you look at the clock

• Pulse rate hightens

• Body temperature of hands and feet increases to a sweat

• Oxygen level in blood increases to normal you cant breath normal air and feel like your dying

• Chance of heart attack decreases but the chance of abh increases

• Ability to smell and taste is enhanced your now hungry, hungrier than youve ever been in your life.

• Body's overall energy increases you have more fat to burn

stressful situation cause you to reach for the ciggies, grab a bun instead!!

• Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker but excess risk of blocked arteries increase because of the snacking

risk of obesity doubles to that of a smoker

10 years------------------------------------------

you still crave smoking tho it wont bother you as much any more.

i still intend to give up very soon again. good on you for joining the gym to. hope it goes well for you.

I like yours better :thumbsup:

You forgot -

• Catch every germ and bug going, never poorlier since before you started smoking.

• Develop chronic bronchitis or, worse, asthma.

thats true too lol.

when i stopped before i couldnt use patches as im allergic to the sticky stuff. so had to use the gum as the tablets werent out at the time, i did persevere and stopped along with hubby, but one really bad day, stressed and wanting to kill kill kill, a cig eased the stress and wham!!!! hooked again. its a bad addiction made worse by people who dont smoke, who knew you did smoke sayin get a fag it'll calm you down.

Keep going, I've been clean now for over 3 years and never felt better!!!

Hello :wave:

Today is day 1 of my quit. Have had to use 2mg gum to get me through my first day but am relying on the Allen Carr book from tomorrow.

Am nervous though as am having a night out tomorrow night :|. Do not want to slip up.

take lollipops with you, when you need a cig, suck a lolly.

I can only offer encouragement and..

After 10 months.... Know that I am no loger a smoker, feel proud about it and actually have to suppress those "reformed smoker" urges to be an evangelical non-smoker converting people. I know that since January, I have been so much better off financially. I know that since January, I don't wake up coughing and spluttering, I don't cough up phlegm everywhere, I feel so much better.

I HOPE that I will not spend a Chistmas in my pensionable age, attached to an oxygen tank unable to enjoy the season properly. I HOPE that I won't put anyone through the pain of sitting holding my hand, waiting for me to die.

I hope you can give up without having to wait for the factors that set my mind on stopping..

ive give it a go a few times but still smokeing grrrr

Quitting Smoking is one of the hardest things to do, this is my 2nd attempt! what I found to be a great incentive to see how you are doing was this little pc programme that runs on your taskbar..

http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

To date I have been quit 1yr 10 months- saved £1,966 in money and would have smoked 10213 cigs.

Its been the hardest thing ever to do, I tried the patches, allergic to the glue, and it burnt me, but persevered the step 1 patch was great for cravings, coming down to step 2 then 3 was horrendous!

Alan Carrs book made sense to me it dosn't for everyone. But when people say they enjoy a cig in actual fact they don't what they don't like is not having a cig, its the addiction that makes you crave so you light up, and thats what makes you feel better.

I have just battled through one of the hardest years of my life, with personal circumstances and have never wanted a cig, bottom line is that lighting up wouldn't have solved the problems I have had to deal with, then I would have kicked myself, for lighting up again after all this time.

Good luck - keep going and if every you get a mega craving.. my advice keep carrots in the fridge, the bigger the better by the time you have chomped through one of those babies it should have passed!:hihi:

Also avoid triggers in the early days, coffee/ tea and alcohol! they tend to go hand in glove. I was lucky as I don't drink booze, but that first coffee always had a cig with it first thing in the morning. Also after a meal was hell, but again you have to retrain your brain, and its amzing just how much you can taste your food when you stop, plus no stinky clothes, hair, and a mouth like gandhi;s flip flop"!