Cheap supermarket shopping

I have just started hitting Aldi and Lidl - whilst the basics are much cheaper than Morrisons or Tesco, I still come out with a higher bill. I just wish I could walk past the "interesting" stuff!

Might I point anyone wishing to avoid Slickwitch's embarrassing mistake in the direction of this comparison website;

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Home.aspx

But I didn't want to compare all supermarkets. Just tesco. Hence I used the Tesco website.

Why don't you go somewhere and buy an excess of a vegetable you have no idea how to cook inventively. That demonstates incredible grocery intelligence:huh:

But I didn't want to compare all supermarkets. Just tesco. Hence I used the Tesco website.

Would you like me to explain the concept of comparison websites or are you being deliberately obtuse? Your thread is about a supposedly cheap supermarket being expensive, but the only way you can confirm it to be expensive is to compare it to similar retailers! Hence my provision of a link to a site that compares Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda and Ocado (aka Waitrose).

Would you like me to explain the concept of comparison websites or are you being deliberately obtuse? Your thread is about a supposedly cheap supermarket being expensive, but the only way you can confirm it to be expensive is to compare it to similar retailers! Hence my provision of a link to a site that compares Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda and Ocado (aka Waitrose).

I give up. Have a row with yourself you tedious man. Or maybe argue with a stick of excess rhubarb?

I've done here.

I give up. Have a row with yourself you tedious man. Or maybe argue with a stick of excess rhubarb?

I've done here.

Would you forgive me if I buy you some GPS underwear as a Christmas gift? Guaranteed not to get lost in the post, nor ever be stocked at Tesco Metro.

No I'm deliriously happy and content. You however get on my knockers!

He keeps a'knockin'...but he can't come in. (Boom-Boom.)

Going back to the original post. I have never found Tesco or Somerfield that cheap. I work quite near Tesco on Infirmary Road which is convenient just to nip into to top up with fresh stuff (not cheap) If I can be bothered, I will jump in the car though and drive to Asda at Handsworth which is where I prefer to do my main shopping.

I'm also with what Pacher has said. I started going to Aldi for bits, but because you can't get everything there I had to go to Asda as well and ended up spending more than If I'd just gone to Asda!

Its all about reduced to clear goods! and castle market- but its such an effort to go there!

Heroin addicts and winos swear by Netto at Lane Top, they love the fact you can walk through the checkout with your goods free of charge and almost totally unchallenged, unless of course your an OAP then the gloves are off.

Might I point anyone wishing to avoid Slickwitch's embarrassing mistake in the direction of this comparison website;

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Home.aspx

I don't think Somerfoeld are included in the comparison websites because they aren't classed as a supermarket now.

Another good source of tips for vouchers, codes and money off tips for supermarket shopping (and many other things) is Moneysavingexpert.

Heroin addicts and winos swear by Netto at Lane Top, they love the fact you can walk through the checkout with your goods free of charge and almost totally unchallenged, unless of course your an OAP then the gloves are off.

Hmmmmm... I use Netto at Lane Top regularly and I don't fit into the stereotypes you describe in your post.

From Netto I can recommend the cheese topped rolls which are far superior to similar products from other supermarkets. Netto sell cheap because they only stock one leading brand and one buget brand. I have also found them very competitive on baked beans, tomato puree but their flour is more expensive than Asda or Tesco. So really you need to shop around a bit. Somerfield is among the most expensive of the Supermarkets so I try and avoid shopping there. If I want expensive I go to Waitrose or Sainsburys.