We Remember Them!!! 9th Nov 11am

With no bus service on Sundays this is just one more event I am excluded from, but always honour the dead at home by observing the 2 minute silence

The British Legion is one charity I donate to regularly.

I think its great that so many people are honouring those killed in the 2 great wars but please remember those killed and injured in more recent conflicts, many leaving young children and babies who may not in later life remember their lost parent.

I think its great that so many people are honouring those killed in the 2 great wars but please remember those killed and injured in more recent conflicts, many leaving young children and babies who may not in later life remember their lost parent.

It's not just about the 2 world wars!

The point surely is to honour the memories of those who have fallen in any conflict, in the (seemingly vain) hope that in the future people won't be sent off to fight wars over borders and politics.

That's what it means to me, anyway

the war memorial is outside the city hall, in front of John Lewis shop

It's not just about the 2 world wars!

The point surely is to honour the memories of those who have fallen in any conflict, in the (seemingly vain) hope that in the future people won't be sent off to fight wars over borders and politics.

That's what it means to me, anyway

Of course, you are completely correct, and I'd like to add that it's the most recently injured soldiers that the British Legion helps now, along with war widows etc isn't it? I'm not saying I'm not thinking of those who are in the midst of conflict at the moment, but the sheer scale of WW1 can never be forgotton!

I read there are just three men left alive who fought in the 1st World War, all over 100 years old. There is a fair possibility that by next year there will be none. They are holding their own commemmoration on the 11th November, and I imagine it will be incredibly poignant for them

I read there are just three men left alive who fought in the 1st World War, all over 100 years old. There is a fair possibility that by next year there will be none. They are holding their own commemmoration on the 11th November, and I imagine it will be incredibly poignant for them

That's amazing. They've survived WWI and lived 90 years beyond it? Poignant for them? It should be poignant for everyone in this country! Do you know where the commemoration's being held?

I might try and go on Sunday into town, did last year and it was nice to be among so many people in silence.

Either that or I'll watch what's on TV from London :)

When I worked at Sainsbury's we used to open at 11am, so tills would stay closed for an extra few minutes for the silence and people used to be like "Oh come on, I'm in a hurry" and get annoyed at having to wait an extra two minutes! Needless to say, they did NOT receive service with a smile :P

That's amazing. They've survived WWI and lived 90 years beyond it? Poignant for them? It should be poignant for everyone in this country! Do you know where the commemoration's being held?

It`s at the Cenotaph in London and will be on BBC1 from 10am to 11.15am(Tuesday 11 Nov) Details from Radio Times.

They are 112,110 AND 108 and strangely each was in a different service, army, navy and airforce.

Amazing men.

When I worked at Sainsbury's we used to open at 11am, so tills would stay closed for an extra few minutes for the silence and people used to be like "Oh come on, I'm in a hurry" and get annoyed at having to wait an extra two minutes! Needless to say, they did NOT receive service with a smile :P

I end up doing it on my own :(

People talk to me and look at me "gone out" when I put my finger to my lips.

What really pees me off (being deliberately confrontational) is that everyone is so keen to join in a silence for some bird who was killed in a joyriding accident in a Parisian tunnel, but no-one registers what day it is on 11h/11d/11m

I might try and go on Sunday into town, did last year and it was nice to be among so many people in silence.

Either that or I'll watch what's on TV from London :)

I get really really annoyed at this! Some customers at work last year were talking loudly all the way through the silence, and they had absolutely no excuse, as the time is announced over the tannoy. Disrespectful idiots.:rant: