Suppliers / Price of Coal in Sheffield?

I have been using Nichols at Wadsley Bridge. They are good company and do deliver. Sadly smokeless fuel prices are now rather high but some quality fuel can still be had at a cheaper price.

With regards to wood, I use both wood and Taybrite (Nichols sourced). I get some kindling to light up and then burn ash or beech for a few hours to get the stove warmed up to operating temperature. When the ash is glowing golden I switch to Taybrite and then basked in the cosy heat. At the end of the day, I top up with said wood.

Nichols will deliver but if you are passing they sell sacks, which are clean and strong clear plastic sacks. Taybrite is a staggering in price and is slowly creeping up to the £9 for 25kg bags.

I have learned to formulate a network for when I am travelling around Yorks in my car or van. I pop into a place in Castleford which sells the Taybrite equivalent of £12.50 for 50kg. The saving is worth it. They also sell a smokeless coal and coke mix which is excellent on my Aga stove, it burns very hot and lasts a long time, this is £12 per 50kg which I consider to be a bargain as it is cheap, long lasting and burns very clean.

Castleford is a good shopping town and has the Ski slope with shopping Outlet should you wish to combine a visit. The company I refer to is called Lomas. Look out for the clearance store next door, they also sell cheap bags of coal and local food stuffs at very economical prices so worth the trip if you have room in your car. Just to give you an idea about load, I have used my daughters Micra to collect coal I can easily get 175 kg in the back with the seat down.

There is a builders merchants in Wath on Dearn, just next to the large Tesco, which sells coal of many varients quite cheaply. The Merchants also have a large supply of stoves and related stove ancilleries.

I hope this is of use.

Be well and warm

Pete

D Campy Coal & Solid Fuel

Tel: 01977 513590| 11, Westfield Avenue, Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire WF10 2EQ

Castle Energy Group Ltd Coal & Solid Fuel

Tel: 01977 518802| Carr Wood Industrial Estate, Carr Wood Rd, Castleford, West Yorkshire WF10 4SB

Contact us

Tel: 01977 518802

J Lomas & Son Coal & Solid Fuel

Tel: 01977 703299| Rear Yard, Calder Works, Methley Rd, Castleford, West Yorkshire WF10 1NX

Tel: 01977 703299

Get directions from:

e.g. postcode or street

and town/city.

Castle Energy Products Ltd Coal & Solid Fuel

Tel: 01977 668578| The Potteries, Pottery St, Castleford, West Yorkshire WF10 1NJ

Tel: 01977 668578

Michael J Lumb Fuels Ltd Coal & Solid Fuel

Tel: 01977 555424| Cinder Lane, Castleford, West Yorkshire WF10 1LU

Petopan - what an incredibly informative post. I usually buy our coal in 10kg bags for around a fiver so have been looking for places to buy alternatives in bulk. Thanks for all the info!

Your welcome Brian.

After shopping around I have come to the conclusion that solid fuel including wood is not only higher priced than surrounding area's I also am of the thinking that it is unnecessarily priced to high.

It would seem that the older methods of trading would incur some discount for large amounts, but I do not see this in Sheffield any more. Solid fuel suppliers in Sheffield sell their products much higher than surrounding merchants for reasons I am yet unsure off. Some may quote rising fuel costs others higher rates, but I would assume with the rising turnaround to solid fuels and higher demand the merchants in Sheffield could not only offer to reduce costs and compete with merchants from surrounding areas but offer discounts for bulk buying.

I am wondering if people would be interested in a cooperative method of purchasing fuel. It costs me £10 in diesel to drive over to Castleford, Wakefield or Rotherham.

Purchasing approximately one tone in Sheffield, using my van to pick up would cost me £340 for smokless fuel. Going over to other areas would cost me £240 per ton plus the diesel Grand Total of £250. It is quite a saving! In fact the savings aquired enabled me to buy a chainsaw so I can process my own wood.

Wood purchased in Wakefield is £110 per ton (transit pick up load) The guy will deliver to Sheffield for an extra £12 thus making it £122. His wood is a nice mixture of part seasoned oak, beech, ash and birch. I have various quotes from local wood suppliers here in Sheffield for between £175 - 250 per ton. Some even asked extra for delivery and some did not even no what seasoned wood was!

It makes sense to not only shop around but to also consider cooperative bulk purchasing. This way groups could chip in a couple of ton and split the costs to save money.

I have also come across a company in Liverpool who sell recycled logs made from compressed chippings. Having used a sample, I found them clean and very warm burning. Very good if you want to get the stove warm quickly. They are priced at 1040kg of Wood Briquettes inc VAT and Delivery £289.00, if you order now an 8% discount is available making the total approximately £269.

He will sell you a sample pack and give a discount of the full purchase price of the sample pack if you re-order.

When I phoned this guy, he was open to even bigger discounts for cooperative bulk purchasing.

The benefits of these briquettes are that they ar very easy to store, clean to hand and obtain great thermal heat output.

Another suggestion for cooperatively sourcing fuel is to work together to purchase or make a community press and make our own briquettes.

Please see the following You Tube links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ha3CJo9gA&feature=related

If any one is interested in cooperative values and working together, please do get in touch.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Cooperative bulk purchasing sounds like a good idea! We would be interested in getting involved. PM me if you will be going ahead with this idea.

Cheers,

Kitty:)

Op- What kind of word are you burning though?. If its pine or another softwood thats your problem. Your best off burning something like oak and beach which take quite a while to burn.

Wood fires can easily be left for hours burning slowly with the correct fuel being used.

Hi, Thank for info.

Interesting ideas.

I wonder if there were enough of us would these reasonable fuel suppliers (take pity) come down and deliver to us in bulk?

m

We have been using Coals2u in chesterfield (who also sell logs) and scavanging our own wood.

Litton Logs in the Peak District deliver.

Peter, yes I'd be interested in a co-operative buy.

There's loads of useful info, including a chart of which woods are good, at Stoves Online.

When the ash is glowing golden I switch to Taybrite and then basked in the cosy heat. At the end of the day, I top up with said wood.

They say:

"We do not recommend that you burn wood and coal at the same time: burning coal produces sulphuric acid and wood can contain a lot of moisture - this combination can coat your chimney in sulphuric acid solution which can quickly eat away at anything."

though I don't know how much attention to pay to it?

I need some coal for our snowmans eyes, raisins just won't do!

hi we are certainly interested in this, we are currently buying in £150 p/m for coal

Hi

There is a place in chesterfield,Brimminton road north just before the canal on right hand side where buy anthracite 25kg bags for £7 per bag. As for logs have you tried ebay?.

It is heart breaking to see people paying extortionate prices for kindling. £2.99 -£4 for a mear bag of sticks.

I was stood in a que the other day at B&Q and watched the guy two places in front pay £12 for 3 bags of kindling. Probably sufficient to light 4-6 fires and lets remember that kindling is only the primer for the main wood or coal.

With just a bit of ingenuity that £12 would buy a cheap bow saw and axe which would be adequate to cut scrap wood which can be found in skips, on industrial estates, builders merchants to name a few sources.

Not only are you wasting money, you are being ripped off!

To season any wet pine just place the chopped pieces in the oven after you have used it for cooking. The residual heat will take the moisture out of your kindling.

Remember, wood keeps you warm in three ways, When you collect it, when you cut it and when you burn it.

Be warm (and sensible) folks.http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/huh.gif

Pete