Effect of cellar conversion on house price?

We're considering converting our cellar - and since this is an expensive job, I'd like to think about what value it would add to the house.

It's a 2-up 2-down, 2 bedroom terrace in Crookes, with attic converted to the 2nd bedroom. When we moved in, the cellar had previously been tanked, but not properly converted - more like a garage - it was slightly damp and only used for storage. We currently have a freezer and drier down there, and use it for paint etc storage - it needs a dehumidifier to keep the place dry and usable.

We're looking at having it properly waterproofed (membranes, sump, etc) and properly plastered, lights, etc. We'd like to use it as a proper utility / storage room. We'd use a company which offers 10 year insurance backed guarantee.

Can any estate agents / valuers etc tell us approx what difference (even in %) adding this extra room would make to the house price?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi,

In the current market.............Forget it .Costs for what you need will outweigh the potential increase in value.Additionally, there may always be problems,asphalt tanked or not.

david

We're considering converting our cellar - and since this is an expensive job, I'd like to think about what value it would add to the house.

It's a 2-up 2-down, 2 bedroom terrace in Crookes, with attic converted to the 2nd bedroom. When we moved in, the cellar had previously been tanked, but not properly converted - more like a garage - it was slightly damp and only used for storage. We currently have a freezer and drier down there, and use it for paint etc storage - it needs a dehumidifier to keep the place dry and usable.

We're looking at having it properly waterproofed (membranes, sump, etc) and properly plastered, lights, etc. We'd like to use it as a proper utility / storage room. We'd use a company which offers 10 year insurance backed guarantee.

Can any estate agents / valuers etc tell us approx what difference (even in %) adding this extra room would make to the house price?

Cheers :thumbsup:

I think it is an excellent idea and I know a man who can do a great job for you.

Pm me if you want his details

Is there some kind of test that has to be done to check if foundations are deep enough?

Its not really about depth, its more that you don't want to go lower than them and that they are on firm ground.

Brick built terraces in Sheffield often have very poor foundations, lumps of stone or bricks on edge, onto clay.

We are definitely on clay but not a terrace and already 3 storeys high. I am told we need to achieve a head height of 2.1m, which means an extra 30cm. Are foundations likely to be adequate? Anyone?

Get a few quotes in.

I had this done recently by AB Basements, the compete job is around 11K and the finish is super, it makes a genuinely useable room out of what was a damp hovel.

I had the buildings inspector involved to make sure it can officially be classed as a habitable room, with a window, fire door etc. If you didn't go to these lengths , it might be cheaper.

I'm thinking about tanking my basement myself, bringing in help when needed. I just want to use it for storage and day-time use (i.e. DIY workshop), but not for people to sleep in it. Has anyone got any advice? From the research I have done so far it seems like an all or nothing job (i.e. bringing in a contractor and splashing out about 10k). I'm looking to see what I can do for myself for about 2k. My plan is:-

- Improve ventilation from the old coal shoot

- Get a dehumidifier in there (for a couple of weeks before, and thereafter)

- Treat the timber ceiling (i.e. wooden floor above) and put some insulation between the main supports

- Re-concrete the floor

- And for the walls, get some god awful sealant and lather it on (I don't care what it looks like!)

The basement is pretty good as far as Sheffield basements go at the moment - no standing water, just a bit damp.

So yeah, any suggestions??

Cheers,

Nick

well, I saw what the contractors did.

Basically dig up the old floor and relay a new one in concrete,

Cover this and the walls with a kind of thick plastic membrane, with each section glued to the next, and fixed to the wall with plastic plugs.

This is called John Newton system 500, it seems very sturdy stuff. I think you could probably buy this by the roll and fit it yourself.

For the floor they used a kind of flexible rubber.

Over this they put a wooden floor , and fixed studwork to the walls and insulation, and plasteboarded over this.

So there is nothing too complex for the averagely competent DIY enthusiast.

Unless your cellar walls start collapsing after you've dug down.

Unless your cellar walls start collapsing after you've dug down.

Yes in that case it would have been better to get the professionals in . . .

But too late at that point as you run screaming from your house and your tele ends up in the open plan cellar/living room.

Just wanted to post an update: we went ahead and had our work carried out by Premiere Basements - we're very happy with it. We've now got a fully plastered, lit, heated and ventilated cellar and staircase. The workmen were exceptionally good: tidy, polite and helpful above and beyond the call of duty!

Regardless of what it does to the value of the property, we've got a much needed extra room in the house.

If you don't mind, how much did it cost? And do you have any photos?