Caterer sues Police over sausages

From the "You couldn't make it up" department:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7704835.stm

A Muslim catering manager has accused the Metropolitan Police of religious discrimination as he was told he may have to handle sausages and bacon.

Hasanali Khoja was told he would be expected to handle pork products at his new job at the Empress State Building in Earls Court, west London.

More of our money wasted on stupid litigation and Britain becomes just that little bit more racist.

Since when was 'handling' the same as 'consumption'?

Why do people choose jobs that they then turn around and say they cannot do?

I'm assuming he also does not consume Humans, is he unable to work alongside them?

Why would a muslim caterer have pork on their menu's?

Since when was 'handling' the same as 'consumption'?

Maybe he licks his fingers? :gag:

wave some money under his nose that should dispel any hurt feelings

Uh oh.

I presume this is from the Daily Fail.

Do you see? :hihi:

If you read the op you would see it was a BBC report, do you see?

I am really puzzled why a Muslim would take a job in catering where it must be obvious there would be pork products involved. It is not good enough to say his religious beliefs must be accommodated in this case.

We are expected to respect their beliefs and thats fine but in return they must accept that pork bacon and sausages are very popular foods in Britain and the onus is on them to stay away from jobs where such a conflict would inevitably arise.

Once again it is a smack in the face for common sense.

The story seems perfectly reasonable to me.

It depends upon the size of the canteen, whether his religious beliefs can be accomodated. If it was a small canteen with only a handful of staff I would say it was unreasonable, If the canteen has around 10 staff then for one individual it should be easy to adapt to, with him primarily doing vegetarian/halal cooking etc.

In this case the police have and appear to be able to accomodate him, informally. So as to why they can't include it in his contract is beyond me. I suspect the issue is he is happy with his current workplace but doesn't want to grant the employer the right to redeploy him to a smaller canteen, where his eliefs couldn't be accomodated. If the Police want to spend a couple of thousand on a Solicitor to prevent him from having it written into his contract that is their prerogative and an employment tribunal is a relatively cheap way to settle the matter.

Whatever the outcome, this is going to cost.

Gone are the days when someone was selected for a job because of their ability. We now have to give everyone a chance, whether they can do the job or not.

What next? Someone in a wheelchair suing because they want to be a window cleaner?

Whatever the outcome, this is going to cost.

Gone are the days when someone was selected for a job because of their ability. We now have to give everyone a chance, whether they can do the job or not.

What next? Someone in a wheelchair suing because they want to be a window cleaner?

This is quite different though, because they can do the current job with ease. The problem is likely to be that he wants protection from being redeployed to another job with a smaller canteen that his conscience will force him to resign from. It is not such a simple issue and there are arguments on both sides, this is best sorted out either through case law or if that is not available then legally, that is what we have employment law for.

what happened to the days of if you cant do the job get your coat