And the winner will be  

30 members have voted

1. 1. And the winner will be

• Chris Hoy
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Rebecca Adlington
    • Andy Murray
    • Someone Else

By the way did any one notice my deliberate mistake?

It is next Sunday Oops, not on Saturday.:(

I remember seeing a TV report on him when he was about ten years old. He may well have lived in a council house, but his dad was a real driving force, making sure that his son got to drive in every event going. If his dad did have three jobs to push his son on and provide for his family then he is the real story.

It seems to me that Lewis has lived up to his dads dreams and beyond.

My problem with that is that it is still only driving a car.

Plus I cannot get past this tax evasion tactic of these extremely rich people.

They have made so much money why don't they give a little back to the society (people ) that has paid to watch/ see them?

Point 1: Right, so you accept that rather than being a 'rich kid', he merely may have had an ambitious father. As have many succesful people.

Point 2: It isn't 'just driving a car' at all. It's track driving which is a sport that requires great skill and nerve and has very little in common with driving a car on the road. The similarities pretty much end at the presence of 4 wheels and an engine. To compare the two is like comparing Olympic cycling with people taking a leisurely bike rid around the park. If not worse. I assume you have never done any performance driving....

Point 3: Many rich people avoid paying tax in the UK through various schemes, he's done nothing unusual. He also probably still pays more UK tax than most people on here through earnings in the UK

Point 1: Right, so you accept that rather than being a 'rich kid', he merely may have had an ambitious father. As have many succesful people.

Point 2: It isn't 'just driving a car' at all. It's track driving which is a sport that requires great skill and nerve and has very little in common with driving a car on the road. The similarities pretty much end at the presence of 4 wheels and an engine. To compare the two is like comparing Olympic cycling with people taking a leisurely bike rid around the park. If not worse. I assume you have never done any performance driving....

Point 3: Many rich people avoid paying tax in the UK through various schemes, he's done nothing unusual. He also probably still pays more UK tax than most people on here through earnings in the UK

Whar exactly was your point?

I have already said I was wrong, as I said earlier...

(I have removed the word rich ok)

He has had a privileged upbringing with a dad who was able and prepared to sponsor him right to the top. he has not had to practice his running or other physical activities on cold British winter nights.

I still think it is just driving a car, you should not presume about me and performance, I was wrong to presume remember.

I still do not like tax dodgers. There are lots of high earners who do it, thankfully there are lots who don't.

I also said earlier that you wouldn't get cold in a racesuit, so not sure what your point is?

Also don't see the relevance. Besides, you aren't cold for long if you are working hard enough.

Plus in motorsport, there is the inherent and ever present risk of being killed, a bit more of a price to pay than shivering a bit

I made the presumption about you and performance, because I have never met anyone who, after doing some proper track driving, still considered it 'just driving a car'. Whereas you appear to have made yours with no evidence to support it

As for the Tax thing: Most of an F1 driver's working life is spent away from the UK, so it would make little sense to be based here regardless of income. Not sure about 'lots who don't', I find the idea that high earners would actively want to contribute millions to the Government's coffers a little far-fetched. Some may not live in tax havens, but there's more than one way to skin a cat....

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Rebecca Adlington gets my vote!

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Rebecca Adlington gets my vote!

not often i agree with an owl, but i certainly do this time. She also has some kind of personality whereas Hamilton seems to have a personality bypass. I think she deserves it more as well as is not backed to the hilt by a major company and given the best tools for the job. Ans she is localish too whereas Hamilton spat his dummy out an moved abroad

I'm so glad that Chris Hoy has won it- it must take a supreme effort to be as world beating as he is, and that should be reflected.

The Olympics might as well have been three years ago for all the impact they'll have on the result.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Team, Coach and SPOTY - all cycling, get in there.

Who's Chris Hoy really though, he's hardley a personality is he, no wonder people don't watch it anymore its a farce and full of nobodys, footballers should win everytime really just because of the amount of tele they get its ridicolous that some1 like that has won it.

Did you hear the gasps in the audience when Hamilton was announced as the runner up?

I think even Hamilton was a little shocked at not winning.

The Olympics might as well have been three years ago for all the impact they'll have on the result.

Hahaha! Brilliant! :thumbsup: