Films everyone else likes but you hate

mars attacks....... for that film hate is not a strong enough word.

I second that and American Pie 1 - 300 films :gag:

clockwork orange for me. i had read the book for english a-level and was really disappointed with the film; the nature of the violence was altered and the vital last chapter were left out, so in the end the film made no sense. i recommend the book, weirdly prophetic.

Any chick flick they bore me senceless (two worst are Pretty Woman, Sliding Doors Yawn)

Titanic

Withnail and I

Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction

Bladerunner

What are you hoping to achieve with this post? What a negative approach to watching films. Pirates of the Carribean is loved by kids and adults who just want some escapism, not realism....why would the hammy acting ruin it? Its based on a Disney ride in America...not a documentary. Citizen Kane is treated as if it is a modern film when it SOOO bloody old. In that sense, it is genius. to have achieved that level of quality in a film so long ago is amazing. It was a different world, so the person who thought the acting was crap should watch more old films to see that it was quite above the norm of its time.

To the person who hates Donnie Darko because they didnt get it!!!! Why do you HAVE to get a film to enjoy it? there are some people who need to be led by the hand all the time and there are others who are quite happy to use their imaginations to answer the questions. those people shouldnt be judged for it...

why dont you try something more positive, like 'Films that changed your life' 'Films that never fail to cheer you up'.....this world is depressing enough already without picking out the worst bits of it.

and for the record....I also hope that Mama Mia gets forgotten about soon....

What are you hoping to achieve with this post? What a negative approach to watching films. Pirates of the Carribean is loved by kids and adults who just want some escapism, not realism....why would the hammy acting ruin it? Its based on a Disney ride in America...not a documentary. Citizen Kane is treated as if it is a modern film when it SOOO bloody old. In that sense, it is genius. to have achieved that level of quality in a film so long ago is amazing. It was a different world, so the person who thought the acting was crap should watch more old films to see that it was quite above the norm of its time.

To the person who hates Donnie Darko because they didnt get it!!!! Why do you HAVE to get a film to enjoy it? there are some people who need to be led by the hand all the time and there are others who are quite happy to use their imaginations to answer the questions. those people shouldnt be judged for it...

why dont you try something more positive, like 'Films that changed your life' 'Films that never fail to cheer you up'.....this world is depressing enough already without picking out the worst bits of it.

and for the record....I also hope that Mama Mia gets forgotten about soon....

Wow, who's in a grumpy mood tonight!

The idea of the thread is to give people a chance to point out what films they think are totally over-rated by others, the kind of films that people seem astonished when you say you don't actually like it. We all have them (one of the guys at work stunned me when he said Blues Brothers was garbage the other day).

If you don't want to get involved with the thread, and want a more positive thread about great moveis that changed your life, well start one and ignore this one.

Why spend time posting a rant about a thread that you don't care about? Why not (in your own words)..

try something more positive, like 'Films that changed your life' 'Films that never fail to cheer you up'.....this world is depressing enough already without picking out the worst bits of it.

Go on...start those threads. We'll join in and be more positive on there for ya.

In fact, why not check out these more positive threads that you may enjoy, and post something on there, rather than being negative about a negative thread (which is kinda self-defeatist in a way)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=369618 (Favourite fabulous film)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=374155 (films watch over and over)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=367414 (no matter how often, you cry)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=379921 (best British)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=381320 (favourite soundtracks)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=382500 (classic you have never seen but want to)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=325472 (favourite bits of cinematography)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=367358 (cinematic top 10)

See...we CAN be positive about film.

Edited by Beakerzoid

I never said that I didnt care about the thread, quite the opposite. and I'm in a fantastic mood...you read my post in the tone that you wanted to hear....

and it wasnt a rant, it was an affirmation.

i suppose some people are only happy when they're saying bad things about stuff....reaffirms their own personal status in the great order of things. hats off to you if this is what you're into....I'm not judging.

I never said that I didnt care about the thread, quite the opposite. and I'm in a fantastic mood...you read my post in the tone that you wanted to hear....

and it wasnt a rant, it was an affirmation.

i suppose some people are only happy when they're saying bad things about stuff....reaffirms their own personal status in the great order of things. hats off to you if this is what you're into....I'm not judging.

When a post starts off critical about the thread, and has a statement which has multiple exclamation marks, then the tone garnered from that is negative and ranting (why else use 4 exclamation marks after an "affirmation" when one will suffice?) That's the thing with written (or typed) word, the only clues we can have towards the tone of the content are in the wording and the punctuation. Yours came across as more of a rant against anyone who dares to dislike a film, rather than an affirmation of anything.

As for being happy only when saying bad things about stuff....have you checked the linked threads about good things in films? Some of us are happy when simply discussing any aspect of films, good or bad, as we are kinda passionate about the subject.

Edited by Beakerzoid

Any chick flick they bore me senceless (two worst are Pretty Woman, Sliding Doors Yawn)

Titanic

Withnail and I

Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction

Bladerunner

Totally agree with Withnail & I; biggest pile of crap I've seen in a long time.

Felt like asking for a refund (not for money, for the 2 hours of my life I wasted) after watching Lost in Translation... did not get the hype at all.

I hate Moon, what was all the fuss about?

Ahh, see I love Moon. I hadn't been expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised by the good acting and tense thriller it turned out to be.

For me it would be the star wars movies. I am into scifi, but when it is mixed with fury creatures and silly looking things then I don't want to know. They all bore me to tears.

Titanic is another one of those over hyped ones.... horrid movie.