Windows 2000 and IE 5

I need a bit of help please. I have just done a clean install of windows 2000 and it has IE 5. I can hardly browse the net let alone download IE6 despite managing to download the little gizmo first, but beyond that I am stuck.

I had a CD with service pack 3 thinking it might do the trick but to no avail. Has anyone got a CD with IE 6 on it they could let me have please or is it not as simple as that?

Failing that any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure why you are having trouble browsing the net on a clean install of W2K.

You would be better downloading SP4 for W2K and here for IE6. Follow the instruction carefully to download IE6 as a non-install.

Thanks for that both of you. I will give it another try tomorrow.

What happens is that I type in a search term into google and up it comes no trouble at all, but then when I click on a link I get a message in the bottom left hand of the screen (I can't remember what that tool bar is called) to say it is waiting to connect and nothing happens. I'm assuming it is the browser but I managed to download firefox and that is just the same.

Not sure why you are having trouble browsing the net on a clean install of W2K.

You would be better downloading SP4 for W2K and here for E6. Follow the instruction carefully to download IE6 as a non-install.

Hi Savannah. Can I download both of those onto my desktop on another computer and then copy them onto a CD and then install them onto W2000 from the CD?

Ta.

FWIW I would *never* do an install of Win2k unless I had a copy of the SP4 distributable to hand.

Latest update.

I did what sccsux said and installed service pack 4 network install and everything went fine. But when I try to get onto a site all I get is "waiting for...xyz" which is the same as before.

So I thought I would install IE6 but after a long wait I got this message:

"Set up may have been unable to use your current proxy server setting. Click advanced if you know your proxy setting"

It wants the port as well.

How so I find that out?

(I'm using a modem not a router, just in case that is significant?)

Problem sorted thanks. Reinstalled Windows again and everything is working ok. Cheers.