50's (music) is dead how long before the 60's go??

"50s" music will NEVER die as long as theres a thriving Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Horror punk scene

specially abroad psychobilly, horrorpunk seems to be on the rise

Pardon my ignorance (and i fully acknowledge that I am ignorant here) but what is Psychobilly and Horrorpunk?

It's ok to disagree is a discussion after all think we all have views. I would still say that in mainstream music the 50's has had its day despite numerous covers by 60's 70's 80's artists, to be totaly honest i can see the 60's still going long after the 70's and 90's era has passed i omit the 80's as i think this was yet another era where the music could be timeless.

Just because you might not particularly like a decade that doesn't mean none of the music from it will stand the test of time. There's a at least a bit of 'timeless' music in every decade, Abba and the Clash for example from the 70s Pixies and Pulp from the 90s will I think be listened to for many decades to come.

Incidentally just what music from the 80s era do you think will be timeless?

I think you're just wrong about 50s music I play a bit of early rock and roll and or girl group stuff most weeks at Planet of Sound which is on West Street so pretty mainstream and that always goes down very well.

As for the 60s I don't think people will ever stop listening to the Stones, Motown, the Kinks...

Maybe i am is just what i see others see things differently. I personally like all music and each has its own appeal but i do think the 50's has had its day.

Just because you might not particularly like a decade that doesn't mean none of the music from it will stand the test of time. There's a at least a bit of 'timeless' music in every decade, Abba and the Clash for example from the 70s Pixies and Pulp from the 90s will I think be listened to for many decades to come.

Incidentally just what music from the 80s era do you think will be timeless?

Will reply properly when i finished at work with a couple or more timeless eighties lol, but i do agree that certain songs from various decades are and will be timeless, but as a whole the 50's has passed, can the 60's really go the same way or live on and on.

All music has had its day the second it leaves the charts, thats the nature of 'POP' music.

If we are talking about what is easily forgotten, then realistically about 40% of every decade can be wiped out, as for the 50's, well..............

Ever heard of a guy called Elvis Presley? radio still play his early stuff on a daily basis as they do so many artists from the same decade, Eddie Chocran, chuck berry, Jerry lee lewis etc.

whilever there is music, there will be 50's music within it.

:)Someone do a fifties playlist to listen to please.

Start with some of the Lipstick On Your Collar clips for the added benefit of a young and lovely Ewan McGregor.

Pardon my ignorance (and i fully acknowledge that I am ignorant here) but what is Psychobilly and Horrorpunk?

psychobilly is a spin off from the original rockabilly stuff of the 50s, in the late 70s the likes of the meteors (only the meteors are pure psychobilly) mixed punk attitude with rockabilly and lyrics taking in punk attitude and b movie themes.

then in the early 80s bands such as king kurt, demented are go, guana batz emerged.

now theres thousands of psychobilly bands from places such as holland, the us, japan etc

horrorpunk is similare and emerged from the ashes of one band..........The Misfits (and theyre related bands samhain, the undead and danzig)

bands such as horrorpops again mix rockabilly, punk, and horror influences

plus johnny cash is immensley popular due to his american recordings albums in the 00's

and he was one of the originals on sun recordings along with elvis, carl perkins and jerry lewis

Have a listen to Paul Tansley`s Rock and Roll years. He is a SF member, search on his name for details.

I still listen to mostly 50`s and early 60`s if I want pop, but that was my era.