50's (music) is dead how long before the 60's go??

The demise of 50's music has come and gone in less than 50 years (perhaps even less), and i mean this as in Mainstream music, I.E radio local dj pubs clubs ect, there is still the odd themed night.

So the question how long before the 60's era of music goes the same way as the 50's.

I think the 60s was such a defining period in music that it will never go. There's all the Liverpool stuff, the mod stuff, the Stones, Motown, Beach Boys, Burt Bacharach. Radio become vitally important and the charts.

I listen to about 15% 60s music and that's before i was born. I listen to virtually no fifties music though so perhaps you are right. I've got some Patsy Cline but can't think of any other stuff i've got and play. I need educating in fifties music.

"50s" music will NEVER die as long as theres a thriving Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Horror punk scene

specially abroad psychobilly, horrorpunk seems to be on the rise

You and many others i have spoken too on this subject seem to agree that the 60's will never stop being around on the mainstream circuit, it may be that this will be the case, and i can certainly see it lasting for another 20 to 30 years at least, I DJ myself and often get 18 19 year old's asking for some motown ect. The nearest i get to the fifties is elvis lol.

But the 60's has to die sometime doesn't it??

"50s" music will NEVER die as long as theres a thriving Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Horror punk scene

specially abroad psychobilly, horrorpunk seems to be on the rise

Great playlist you got especially liked rolf harris doing stairway to heaven been a few years since i last dug that tune out.

Great playlist you got especially liked rolf harris doing stairway to heaven been a few years since i last dug that tune out.

heh just a few bits ive always loved (that ive managed to find on the search engines(that arent all that good tbh)) tried to choose bits from all my different loves :)

If the 60s weekends at Butlins are anything to go by the music will be kept alive for a good few years yet :D Was a teen in the 70s but prefer the 60s music, am also word perfect on most of the 50s songs, my dad was a club singer & so I was brought up listenin to the old 78s aaaggghhh

If the 60s weekends at Butlins are anything to go by the music will be kept alive for a good few years yet :D Was a teen in the 70s but prefer the 60s music, am also word perfect on most of the 50s songs, my dad was a club singer & so I was brought up listenin to the old 78s aaaggghhh

Was that " His master's Voice " records seem to remember a small white dog on the labels might be wrong lol

I disagree, Namklim.

The fifties were revived in the seventies by groups like "Darts" and "Showaddywaddy" doing covers of fifties rock hits, such as "three steps to heaven" and "duke of earl" to name but two.

Donny Osmond released covers of hits, like "Young Love" - first released by Ric Cartey in 1956, "Twelfth Of Never" which was released in 1957 by Johnny Mathis and "Puppy Love" first released in 1960 by Paul Anka.

This year I've seen Joe Brown, Marty Wilde, Dave Berry, Gerry Marsden, Swinging Blue Jeans, Dave Dee D.B.M & Tich. The good stuff they churn could be with us forever.

I disagree, Namklim.

The fifties were revived in the seventies by groups like "Darts" and "Showaddywaddy" doing covers of fifties rock hits, such as "three steps to heaven" and "duke of earl" to name but two.

Donny Osmond released covers of hits, like "Young Love" - first released by Ric Cartey in 1956, "Twelfth Of Never" which was released in 1957 by Johnny Mathis and "Puppy Love" first released in 1960 by Paul Anka.

It's ok to disagree is a discussion after all think we all have views. I would still say that in mainstream music the 50's has had its day despite numerous covers by 60's 70's 80's artists, to be totaly honest i can see the 60's still going long after the 70's and 90's era has passed i omit the 80's as i think this was yet another era where the music could be timeless.

The demise of 50's music has come and gone in less than 50 years (perhaps even less), and i mean this as in Mainstream music, I.E radio local dj pubs clubs ect, there is still the odd themed night.

So the question how long before the 60's era of music goes the same way as the 50's.

I think you're just wrong about 50s music I play a bit of early rock and roll and or girl group stuff most weeks at Planet of Sound which is on West Street so pretty mainstream and that always goes down very well.

As for the 60s I don't think people will ever stop listening to the Stones, Motown, the Kinks...