Wooden pole in a field

Algy,

Wouldn't it make as much sense if it was Stang Edge, meaning, the Edge near the Stang (or pole) which has been declined to Stanage and then during (probably) Victorian times, the "Edge" was appended.

The Victorians did this many times as they tried to name everything in the middle england phraseology as was their wont.

For example how many Lakes are there in the Lake District?

One (Bassenthwaite Lake), all the others are Meres (Grasmere, Thirlmere etc) or Waters (Consiton Water).

The number of times I have corrected people who say Lake Windermere is very numerous.

i saw some red indians dancing round it it may be a totum pole :D

Originally posted by steevie/d

i saw some red indians dancing round it it may be a totum pole :D

Stangs were also used for torturing erm... adultering husbands!!! aka - "Riding the Stang"... there was a case in Eccelsefield.

Maybe the edge is where they practised the folk-custom of "Riding the Stang"?

There are also cases or were, in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, North Yorkshire, and in Cumbria...

There is a Stang Forest in Cumbria for that matter!!!

FFF(F).

Herne's Magister.

I thought the main idea was they'd still mark the way even in deep snow - like we don't seem to get any more..

An old gentleman that lived locally many years ago explained to me that the pole was one of many that were placed on the moor during the war years, to prevent the enemy gliding their planes down and landing their troops in this area - Hope this helps - Ex Hope Valley Taxi Driver.

The word "stannage" or "stanage" has meanings connected to tin and tin mining. From the latin "stannum". Symbol for tin = Sn.

I know that there were old tin mines closer to Matlock, but isn't it possible there was something going on here?

The moor is a bit "pitted" up there.

sorry stoney i can't see your explanation been right.

all the fields round there, i'm sure they could glide over and land in another one.

could even land a bit closer to civilization.

Litotes,

I see your point, but Stanage Edge is part of a long row of edges, most of which take their name from the village below, e.g. Curbar Edge, Froggatt Edge, Bamford Edge. In the case of Stanage, there is no village, so it's just Stone Edge. There are also other places in Derbyshire and elsewhere called Stanage, which as far as I know don't have a pole nearby. As to tin, are you sure about the mines cgksheff, I thought it was lead that was mined in the Peak? I've never heard of tin mining this far north.

Originally posted by Kristian

What I can't understand is why 272 people have viewed a thread called 'Wooden Pole in a Field', myself included! While the thread content is quite good, there must be some awfully bored folk out there! :hihi:

K x

Well I thought it was a thread about an oak statue of the Pope!

So there!!

:(

Originally posted by cgksheff

The word "stannage" or "stanage" has meanings connected to tin and tin mining. From the latin "stannum". Symbol for tin = Sn.

I know that there were old tin mines closer to Matlock, but isn't it possible there was something going on here?

The moor is a bit "pitted" up there.

It could be even simpler that that after all an old Scottish frod for stone is - 'Stane' and when a lot of the mines and quarries first open a lot of peole from Scotland and elsewhere came to England to work the mines and pits etc.

Stannage... could simply mean Stane or Stone Edge!

Guest Ant

The name probably derives from the Anglo-Saxon word "stænr" - stony ground. It's highly unlikely to be of Scottish origin.

Originally posted by Ant

The name probably derives from the Anglo-Saxon word "stænr" - stony ground. It's highly unlikely to be of Scottish origin.

It would depend on the origins of the place! Which I do not know! I was only making suggestions to possibilities.

As we have discussed previous? It would depend on weither Stanage was in reference to the edge or pole?

Thus, either way... it would also depend on whom settled the village/town and then whom re-settled it? As place names and their meanings also change.

If it is in reference to pole then it is more likely that reference is what I mentioned earlier... Stan being short for - Stang. Which is originally from Scandinavia.

As for your Staenr... it most likely has the same origin as the Scottish word Stane. After all Germanic peoples also settled in Scotland as well as in parts of England.