Wooden pole in a field

Guest Ant

Which is more likely? It was an Anglo-Saxon area, so it's far more likely - like the vast majority of place names surrounding it - to have an Anglo-Saxon origin. I can assure you, very few scots settled in that area. The Anglo-Saxon word for stone is stan. The word stane is a colloquial version of the same saxon name. There are countless place names in England containing "stan", all of which are Anglo Saxon in origin. Bringing the scots into the equation is needless.

Algy, you hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by Ant

Which is more likely? It was an Anglo-Saxon area, so it's far more likely - like the vast majority of place names surrounding it - to have an Anglo-Saxon origin. I can assure you, very few scots settled in that area. The Anglo-Saxon word for stone is stan. The word stane is a colloquial version of the same saxon name. There are countless place names in England containing "stan", all of which are Anglo Saxon in origin. Bringing the scots into the equation is needless.

Algy, you hit the nail on the head.

Not necessarily... after all are the Anglo-Saxons are an emalgum of both Saxons (Saxens/Saxans) and Angles.

Both Germanic...

The Scots also have Germanic influence... after all look how many invaders came from Scandinavia into Scotland and the north of England.

What I stated isn't right or wrong... I don't know the area, I was just suggestiong possibilities!!!

What I meant originally by not necessarily is, that Stang... originally came to England via Scotland... and 1st from Scandinavia. So if Stanage had a trade route with the north then some northern Germanic influence is possible?

Just as Saxon influence had an effect in southern Scotland.

Guest Ant

It's still highly unlikely, mate. The celtic scots had their own language at that time - germanic influence was negligable. Would they really stop using their own word for stone to adopt a foreign one? Er, no. I think not.

And Stanage would not adopt a name simply because it's served by a trade route. You could just as well argue that it was settled by Norwegians, but why bother? Accept the most likely. The scottish origin is highly unfeasable. It's an Anglo-Saxon name, in Northumbria - an Anglo-Saxon kingdom. 'Nuff said.

Originally posted by Magister666

Not necessarily... after all are the Anglo-Saxons are an emalgum of both Saxons (Saxens/Saxans) and Angles.

Both Germanic...

The Scots also have Germanic influence... after all look how many invaders came from Scandinavia into Scotland and the north of England.

What I stated isn't right or wrong... I don't know the area, I was just suggestiong possibilities!!!

What I meant originally by not necessarily is, that Stang... originally came to England via Scotland... and 1st from Scandinavia. So if Stanage had a trade route with the north then some northern Germanic influence is possible?

Just as Saxon influence had an effect in southern Scotland.

Which all in all is really besides the point in relation to the fact that we were originally talking about the Stanage Pole.

Guest Ant
Wooden pole in a field
- yup. But the origins of the name were an interesting diversion.

Originally posted by Ant

It's still highly unlikely, mate. The celtic scots had their own language at that time - germanic influence was negligable. Would they really stop using their own word for stone to adopt a foreign one? Er, no. I think not.

And Stanage would not adopt a name simply because it's served by a trade route. You could just as well argue that it was settled by Norwegians, but why bother? Accept the most likely. The scottish origin is highly unfeasable. It's an Anglo-Saxon name, in Northumbria - an Anglo-Saxon kingdom. 'Nuff said.

What makes you so sure... after all. The Jutes and Frisians were Germanic.

Yet the Frisians whom 1st settled im the Kent area, also had strongholds in what is now the West Midlands, north Lincs., and in Humberside area.

They also had strongholds in the Borders region of Scotland and in Aberdeenshire.

Some Scottish place names have just as many Germanic origins as some of the English place names!

Dumfries means Fort of the Frisians.

As for the Celtic Scot's they originally came from Ireland into what was Caledonia (now Argyll). Later integrating with the Welsh Britons and Picts whom lived in Scotland alongside the numerous Germanic races. There was 3 primary Celtic languages in Scotland (Irish-Scots Gaelic, Welsh-Gaulish tongue, and Ersk (now a lost language!) . Along with those there was also Norse, Anglo-Saxon and Frisian. And to boot the latin of the Romans.

As said I don't know Stanage as an area. And Yes, I agree it is more than likely, in fact probable that the area is most likely Anglo-Saxon. But people may have lived their before the Anglo-Saxons.

And the Anglo-Saxons were originally an amalgamation of the Saxens and Angles both of whom were foreign to Albion (England) and came from around the Danube River if I am not mistaken.

People would have lived in the area before the Anglo-Saxons, as the Anglo-Saxons were more renowned for farming, and the Celts were renowned for their metal work and as settlers around tin and iron mines. The native Celts of England were primarily of Welsh-Gaulish descent i.e. the Britons.

It would be highly likely that the area may have been settle 1st by Britons, then Anglo-Saxons, then other Germanic races as trade routes grew.

Thus the influence of the language and place name would have changed over the years.

But it means no an iota od different... as the thread was primarily concerned with the Stanage Pole and not the Edge itself!

Guest Ant

Magister, are you fishing for an argument?

I could quote from the same text books as you as I've been a student of Anglo Saxon history since as far back as I can remember. No matter what you churn out, it's irrelevent. My ultimate point was

The scottish origin is highly unfeasable. It's an Anglo-Saxon name, in Northumbria - an Anglo-Saxon kingdom.

And it still stands. It cannot get any clearer, or more obvious. You are needlessly making the issue FAR more elaborate than it probably is. How did you attain a university educaton with such woeful deductive skills?

But it means no an iota od different... as the thread was primarily concerned with the Stanage Pole and not the Edge itself!

I know. I stopped discussing it two posts ago. If you're not happy discussing it (which you're obviously happy to do), then talk about the pole, there's a good chap.

Originally posted by Ant

Magister, are you fishing for an argument?

I could quote from the same text books as you as I've been a student of Anglo Saxon history since as far back as I can remember.

*** Indeed, then what of the Anglo-Saxons from Northumbria whom inherited lands in the Argyllshire area oh in arround the 11th/12th century?

No matter what you churn out, it's irrelevent. My ultimate point was And it still stands. It cannot get any clearer, or more obvious. You are needlessly making the issue FAR more elaborate than it probably is. How did you attain a university educaton with such woeful deductive skills?

*** I am only elaborating that times change, places change and so do cultures! Simple!!! And that change is not irrelevent, if it was then nothing would ever change and everything would be static and erm... boring!!!

*** Agreed!!!

I know. I stopped discussing it two posts ago. If you're not happy discussing it (which you're obviously happy to do), then talk about the pole, there's a good chap.

*** Didn't say I wasn't happy, nor was I arguing... after all I did say that I agreed that Stanage was probably Anglo-Saxon, at a later period after the Britons.

am i the only one who thinks that this is getting a bit complicated

Guest Ant

Strangely enough, no.

Originally posted by Magister666

Which all in all is really besides the point in relation to the fact that we were originally talking about the Stanage Pole.

Not even that, we started by talking about the wooden pole at Longshaw!

Surely the pole was placed there hundreds of years ago by an evil magician, so they could travel into the future and laugh like a drain at our futile attempts to come to terms with the fact of its existence!

ITS A BIG TALL POLE ITS THERE SO YOU DONT GET LOST ON THE VILE MUDDY WET WINDY NASTY OUTDOORS MOOR AND DIE IN A MUDDY SHEEP RUT. Bearing in mind that OS maps and comms systems are a fairly recent event.

And if you're into the ancient language thread tell me this, how many different ways are there to say "oh ****, help me God I want to be at home right now, I can't see my own hands through the fog, can you eat sheep raw? Do they burn for long if you can get the soggy fleece alight?" I like a good walk but just now its a sore point in our house, there's a difference between a nice walk and a route march across barren wasteland fit only for sheep. Moors are good to look across from the edge, not for venturing into. My opinion is the pole is there so you can stay within 200 yards of it, because the carpark is out of view once you reach the top of the hill!